• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Look, we are right about this, 95% of people who follow Southend United can see Blair's plus points, the other 5% listen to their little chip on their shoulder, their clueless knowledge of football or they listen to and agree with the people they go to football with.
I would like to convert the minority. But, I don't think it's possible, because however many good things that Blair does the 5% of fans who are a bit MAD wont want to appreciate Blair's play, even when they do admit he has 100% work rate, has good link up play, 'ONE OF THE BEST TOUCHES IN THE TEAM' etc etc, because he isn't another ****ing Stanley Freddymore he isn't good enough.

I think that everyone has the right to express their own views whether i or anyone else agrees with it is not necessarily the correct one . I personally am not a fan of Blair but this is just my opinion , but to say that the 5 % have chips on their shoulder and have a clueless knowledge of football etc etc are very big comments from someone who seems to think that he is Mr Football himself . So unless you are Alex Ferguson then maybe we should start to question your footballing knowledge ........ But like i say this is just MY opinion

Sturrock is a worker who can hold the ball up well at times and lay it off neatly. This sort of striker is more appreciated in the lower leagues I think as at the highest level if you don't look like scoring as a Striker you are history before long. If you look at most starting strikers in the Prem they have all at some stage had a decent season goalswise whereas I see Blair has never scored more than 6 in a season at any club or level. Yes, he has other attributes but any top striker will tell you they are paid to score goals first and foremost.

I think if ultimately we want to be a progressive club then we need 2 strikers who are capable of scoring 15+ goals a season. The harsh reality is that Blair doesn't meet that criteria. It's a game of opinions of course and PS plus many fans are happy with Blair's contribution which is fine especially as the cupboard is pretty bare anyway at the moment. I think both sides agree generallly on his attributes but have different views on the worth of those attributes.

He's a consitent player - never brilliant, never total cr*p. Just the sort of player a manager needs in a new, untried squad. Dad is no mug and when it's time for his son to go, he will go. Mrs Sturrock will probably cut off his ration, but that will be the price to pay!!

You make a good point to why Sturrock is useless .... by listing his former clubs :zzzzz:

You don't have anything constructive to say back, you don't give your opinion, or back it up with facts, so I am going to use your own logic against you.

If I remember correctly, Sawyer, Clohessy and Hall were at Conference South sides before we signed them. Eastwood was at Grays, who were in the Ryman Premier division at the time. Bilel Mohsni was playing for an amateur team before we signed him. Have I made my point yet?

My point was that if Blair was released at the end of the season where would he end up? I seriously doubt any league club would be interested and he would be plying his trade at non-league which has always been the case in the past if his Dad doesn't sign him.

I'm happy for you if you rate him as an influencial player but it isn't shared by lots of other fans & more importantly any other league managers to date and at 30 already he is unlikely to get any better.

I think that's exactly the attitude that Yorkshire Blue is talking about. I wouldn't matter if he scored a hatrick in every match from how to the end of the season, you will still assume he's in the team because of his dad.

No I would not, if he did that I might change my mind..:smiles:

Look, we are right about this, 95% of people who follow Southend United can see Blair's plus points, the other 5% listen to their little chip on their shoulder, their clueless knowledge of football or they listen to and agree with the people they go to football with.
I would like to convert the minority. But, I don't think it's possible, because however many good things that Blair does the 5% of fans who are a bit MAD wont want to appreciate Blair's play, even when they do admit he has 100% work rate, has good link up play, 'ONE OF THE BEST TOUCHES IN THE TEAM' etc etc, because he isn't another ****ing Stanley Freddymore he isn't good enough.

Where on earth have you pulled that percentage from?

Sturrock is a worker who can hold the ball up well at times and lay it off neatly. This sort of striker is more appreciated in the lower leagues I think as at the highest level if you don't look like scoring as a Striker you are history before long. If you look at most starting strikers in the Prem they have all at some stage had a decent season goalswise whereas I see Blair has never scored more than 6 in a season at any club or level. Yes, he has other attributes but any top striker will tell you they are paid to score goals first and foremost.

I think if ultimately we want to be a progressive club then we need 2 strikers who are capable of scoring 15+ goals a season. The harsh reality is that Blair doesn't meet that criteria. It's a game of opinions of course and PS plus many fans are happy with Blair's contribution which is fine especially as the cupboard is pretty bare anyway at the moment. I think both sides agree generallly on his attributes but have different views on the worth of those attributes.
Cy3;
Is there any team who has two 15+ a season goalscorers?

We certainly havent had two in a long time and that includes two promotion winning teams.

I think that everyone has the right to express their own views whether i or anyone else agrees with it is not necessarily the correct one . I personally am not a fan of Blair but this is just my opinion , but to say that the 5 % have chips on their shoulder and have a clueless knowledge of football etc etc are very big comments from someone who seems to think that he is Mr Football himself . So unless you are Alex Ferguson then maybe we should start to question your footballing knowledge ........ But like i say this is just MY opinion

ONE BLAIR STURROCK THERE'S ONLY ONE BLAIR STURROCK!!!!!

Okay then, what do you think is wrong with him then? Instead of just saying you don't rate him....
My knowledge of football doesn't need to be questioned.

This 15+ a season striker is a myth and two of them bloody 'ell that's just a legend.
Blair does meet the criteria ask any one of that team and the manager and they will tell you what Blair is there for. Some people just want every single player passed the defence to score every game it doesn't happen. Fair enough if you want 2 players upfront who score 30+ between them (we probably will have that as Barry is well on track and Blair is definitely on track for 10). But that isn't the way we play, and the we have been playing is working. Some people will just never be happy, and I feel sorry for them.

He is a massive part of our team and ANYONE who can't see what Blair offers can't be watching the game properly.

There isn't half some guff on this thread!

He is no better than a L2 hacker - I believe he has never been signed by a Football League Manager, other than his Dad, and his goal scoring record for a 30 year old after what, 13 years of pro football is crap.

To the 95% (where on earth did you get that percentage from?) who think he's brilliant - would you have signed him in the summer if you were aware he was available? I do not believe anyone would have signed him - the only person who gives him a game is his Dad, end of.

In your opinion.

Yep, not only my opinion though, it's true, Blair offers a lot, the only thing he doesn't do is score a lot.

You have to be able to see he is a key part of our squad, and those stats at the start of this thread prove it.

Saying that, you might prefer to have two goal scorers upfront, which is fair enough, if you don't like the system that we play then it's fine. But if it's just because he doesn't score then you are just ignoring the other things that he offers.

A lot of people now rate him and that shows a lot about him as a player and a person as mentioned Kevin Maher is probably the only player to have won round the support before Blair.

We'd all LOVE somebody better out there, but then that's not going to happen I'm affraid not until we have the bowl with a hole so we can release funds for wonder players........
:unsure:

To be honest I don't care if somebody doesn't rate him, what I do care about is the jeering and booing, which is ridiculous. People can ignore the stats at the start of this thread if the like. But they can't wait to bring out the stats that prove how many goals he hasn't scored.

That's football for you anyway, there is ALWAYS a player who gets jeered by what is now a minority of the fan base.
People used to BOO Mark Gower for god sake, he was a class act for us and he is now a massive part of a Premiership pushing Welsh team who probably play the best football outside of the Premiership EVER and HE is the main play maker, who doesn't score many goals.

This will be a re occurring thread forever. Ohwell, it gives me something to talk about.

He is no better than a L2 hacker - I believe he has never been signed by a Football League Manager, other than his Dad, and his goal scoring record for a 30 year old after what, 13 years of pro football is crap.

To the 95% (where on earth did you get that percentage from?) who think he's brilliant - would you have signed him in the summer if you were aware he was available? I do not believe anyone would have signed him - the only person who gives him a game is his Dad, end of.

I suggest you get some pollyfiller for that chip on your shoulder.

Can we end this thread as I sense that the people posting so far are unlikely to change their mind one way or the other on Marmite Man and if anything are getting more entrenched in their views?

Can we end this thread as I sense that the people posting so far are unlikely to change their mind one way or the other on Marmite Man and if anything are getting more entrenched in their views?

I don't think this thread should be closed as it shows some very interesting stats at the start, just because people don't like what they are reading doesn't mean the thread should be closed. We can all deal with reading things that we don't agree with!

Blair sturrock is NOT a striker.

The fact he is listed as such is purely because he plays up top.

That he always has his back to goal would back up this fact, and therefore he does not score many goals.

He reminds me of Lee Bradbury, a player who worked incredibly hard and did so much for the team but ultimately did not score many goals and never looks comfortable up front out wide or in the middle.

I always rated bradbury's input into the team and his ability to hold and carry especially when we were under pressure at home and particularly away was second o none. I dont think blair is quite as good but bradbury played in a team higher up the footballing pyramid and had to try and get games against the likes of Eastwood gray the goat and gower etc .

Blair sturrock is VITAL to this current team and he is like the glue that binds.

Do i appreciate that he works so so hard and gives his all ? Absoloutely

Do i wish he had more of a goal threat ? Absoloutely

Does he frustrate the life out of me at times ? Absoloutely

We are a league two team with really low opinion of us from everyone inside the county and out and the fact the we even have a team to support is a miracle.

The fact the we have one that is grafting its nuts off to try and gain promotion against all odds is homage to the manager .

I would have ten of this current team of hard workers , blair included over last years squad paid or unpaid.

The fact that so many people have chosen to have there say means that people feel strongly about this subject , and just recently people havent felt strongly about much else other than Teffron.

Keep up the good work blair. You get my vote .

(ps) Isnt it time to put this to the vote?

Last edited:
I'm fed up with the constant sniping about Blair Sturrock from certain supporters with chips on their shoulders.

Don't believe me: have a look at the stats.

Has made 25 league starts.

In the 7 games he hasn't started, we've won a grand total of ZERO, drawn three* and lost four.

Stats can be made to support whatever argument you want to make. I notice you missed off the cup games against both Bristol City & Barnet at the beginning of the season which Blair didn't play in.

Why don't you do stats on all the players - it might interesting, it might not?

Although every stat on the season will be slightly distorted as we were a poor side at the beginning of the season and only started to gel as a team and play more football on the ground in December.

Stats can be made to support whatever argument you want to make.

And they tend to be dismissed out of hand by people who leap to opinions based on next to nothing. Blair has been rubbish any time I've seen him but either the stats are a massive coincidence or the evidence suggests that he adds a huge amount to the side. Personally I like to have something more tangible to base my opinions on other than purely gut instinct.

He reminds me of Lee Bradbury, a player who worked incredibly hard and did so much for the team but ultimately did not score many goals and never looks comfortable up front out wide or in the middle.

I always rated bradbury's input into the team and his ability to hold and carry especially when we were under pressure at home and particularly away was second o none. I dont think blair is quite as good but bradbury played in a team higher up the footballing pyramid and had to try and get games against the likes of Eastwood gray the goat and gower etc .

It was always worth remembering with Bradbury that our 17 game winless run in the Championship started when Bradbury got injured and ended when he got fit again. Again, that could be a concindence. I don't think it was though.

Back