• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Bringing the Mrs to football.

Options Options Options.

• Total voters
During pregnancy is the best time due to the pram shop opposite,get there early,go check out the store,and pick up some baby brochures to look at in case the match gets boring.

Last time I did that was in 1998, lost 0-1 to Doncaster in the FA Cup, even I started looking at the pram brochures.

Also, Dave how do you manage to sit near her? So many season tickets these days makes it tricky to take occassional fans and get them seated next to you.

A friend of mine has kindly offer to move for the game so I will just get a random seat somewhere in the Hall mate.
:)

My wife is now the proud owner of three Southend United shirts. She even has the current away shirt, and is thinking of getting a season ticket. I find reverse psychology works wonders.

"You won't enjoy it. Really you won't."!

When i first started seeing my girlie, she told me that she liked football (explained the off side rule and everything) and i thought superb. I asked her who she supported to which she replied Man utd AND West ham. Its bad enough supporting two teams in the same country, never mind the same league!! It was at that point, i decided to not take her to roots hall unless absolutely necessary

This is a really tough one. I'm torn really. I love the fact that Mrs. OS is really into, and more importantly understands, footy... and I am proud for her to follow Southend United over the Serie A and Prem ****e out there. I am also really pleased she travelled over land and sea to watch us in league games and 2 LDV finals. Introducing her to Roots Hall for the first time was avery special moment, not to mention when she sang pre-match once...

BUT...

... at the end of the day, a Saturday match day is something us blokes enjoy best together. Why can't the women go together so they can enjoy it the way they want? And away days? Nothing better that a boys only outing to far flung northern outposts.

Nothing better that a boys only outing to far flung northern outposts.

I'm hearing you there sir.

I'm more likely to join Facebook's "Drewe Broughton Appreciation" group than take Jennifer to an away game.*

*There is an exception to this rule. I went to see Bournemouth vs Southend in 2003 despite it being on her birthday. I was able to blag this (a) as her Granny lives in Bournemouth so we could visit her post match and (b) a condition of me going to the game was that her and her parents must also join me. At least Granny turned down the delights of Dean Court...

i managed to drag the missus to griffin park on valentines day... surely i win a prize!?

Although Mrs Moe doesn't mind football, she much prefers to spend Saturday afternoons out shopping rather than accompany me to Roots Hall, however I think it's better that way.

And when it comes to midweek games she goes to Yoga / Pilates.

We were both invited to join the 'prawn sandwich' brigade for a Chelsea match at Stamford Bridge at the end of last season which just turned into a p*ss up really. (would like to add that no SUFC fixture was missed as a result of this freebie).

She did however insist on going to the England Women's International at Roots Hall earlier in the year.

Mrs. the Shrimp has been once, to see us draw 0-0 with York, in January 2003.

It was freezing cold, Drewe fell over a lot, Leon Constantine looked disinterested, and nothing happened for 90 minutes. Nothing.

The only thing I can remember about that game is forming the opinion that Jon Parkin is truely the worst player in the Football League. He actually hit the bar in the game, but was painfully inept apart from that.

The only thing I can remember about that game is forming the opinion that Jon Parkin is truely the worst player in the Football League. He actually hit the bar in the game, but was painfully inept apart from that.

I remember watching him and thinking the same thing.

He had sort of long curtained hair back then...

What a ****.

i managed to drag the missus to griffin park on valentines day... surely i win a prize!?

Not even close. I took my dad there for that game, and even got my wife to cook for us first!

Last edited:
If you're going to take her DtS you need to do it properly. If she doesn't like it she just won't come again in future.

Have taken mrs irish_shrimper to see us play bristol (won league 1 title), doncaster (won 3-2), and then her good luck vanished last week away to forest :( It's a risky one Dave - i got a few funny looks at forest because she kept asking every minute what reason the ref was blowing the whistle for ie. offside etc....then cue an explanation of the offside rule mid match :rolleyes:

Although on a side note - is it any different to taking a lad that has never seen southend before? I've taken friends in the past and got funny looks when they started asking 'is that freddy eastwood' while pointing in the area of duncan jupp :D can't win!!!!

It all depends on the girl, but approached in the right way you can make a Shrimper out of your misses!!

Mrs Shrimper2thecore is now a Southend fan, and attends about 10or so games a season in total, both home and away. So I get games with her, with her and mates, and some with just mates. Perfect!!

No wonder you like Drewe. He's given you freedom on a Saturday afternoon.

Ahh, but did you see the penalty he won at Crewe... he was influential in them winning that game. I bet you enjoyed that.

:finger:

Incidentally, isn't Matt Harrold simply Drewe II? Big bloke, holds it up well, lots of energy, negligible talent, couldn't score in a brothel?

:confused:

Ahh, but did you see the penalty he won at Crewe... he was influential in them winning that game. I bet you enjoyed that.

:finger:

Incidentally, isn't Matt Harrold simply Drewe II? Big bloke, holds it up well, lots of energy, negligible talent, couldn't score in a brothel?

:confused:

I'm sure Drewe was very influential in Crewe beating MK Dons.

Harrold is a completely different player to Broughton. They both are tall but that is where the similarity ends. Broughton was just a useless pile of steaming ****e whose main attribute was elbowing centre-halves. All Broughton did was concede free-kicks and occasionally flick the ball onto no-one, or with the touch of a baby elephant pass the ball back to the full-back in his own half.

Harrold actually links play. His touches go to Southend players, if he tries to flick it on, he tries to flick it on to where he sees the Southend player making the run. Where Drewe concedes free-kicks, Harrold wins them. But what Harrold's game is all about is bringing the ball down and bringing the midfield into play. He is a poor man's Ian Benjamin, compared to Broughton's poor man's McDonough (and Donkey Drewe was not nearly as hard as McDonough). Sure, Harrold's not nearly as polished as Ian Benjamin was, but Benji had a decade of football behind him by the time he joined us.

As for goals Harrold already has scored more SECOND DIVISION goals than donkey Broughton managed FOURTH DIVISION goals. But that is irrelevant. Its Harrold's job to make sure the TEAM scores goals, and does that well and as a result the team is amongst the top scorers in the division. His linking play has enabled Bailey and McCormack to score freely, as well as Leon Clarke.

Both midfielders are well on course for double digit goal tallies (and bookings as well). The last time two Southend midfielders got double digits from midfield? I haven't checked but I'd wager when we had a certain Ian Benjamin linking play like Harrold does.

I keep saying Harrold is a good player, I keep trying to explain why this is the case, I back it up with evidence (look how many goals we score a game with Harrold in the team) but people just can't get their head round the concept that a forward doesn't have to score to be worth his place in the side.

Finally, for the record, Harrold is scoring a goal every 4 and a bit games this season. Over a full season that works out as 12 goals.

Back