• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Lol, I'll still get access elsewhere, don't worry! And thanks to Spartan, however, having previously been with Virgin and before that Telewest, their service was shockingly bad so I won't be choosing that option.

Virgin have come along way since the Telewest days believe me.

Kay,

I was living just round the corner from you and had virgin+ tv phone and internet and all i can say is given the choice of the two i would take virgin all day long.

Its by far a more superior service to sky and is not affected by weather etc as its fibre optic

Now ive moved to rayleigh and had sky+ forced upon me i am able to see the difference.

Not alot of difference in price either

I do know what your saying about telewest and virgin back in the day . It was shocking and was always going down and you werent able to get through.

Now the quality of the tv and the internet is lightening fast and having had both i can assure you virgin is now the real deal

Last edited:
Thanks for all your help and advice, but I think I'm going to go with plusnet. We'll still be offline at home for a few days, but they seem comparable with others and are offering a pretty good deal atm.

PlusNet are good - been with them since 2002.. I work from home alot so need something reliable... There is a community forum for PlusNet via their website, where some of their 3rd line Techies operate from. They also operator a referral system for gaining new business (which gets credited against your monthly bill). I still leave my line rental with BT, but will probably move this in the next few months to PN for them to manage. Ultimately PlusNet are owned by BT (bought out 3-4 years ago). Frontline Customer Service has been a bit crap in the past. The call centre has just moved back to the UK from South Africa, but still needs improvement. 'If' I have a problem, I generally raise a web ticket and raise a question in the comunity forum quoting the ticket number - never had an issue getting a resolution that way.

During sign-up they will offer a wireless router for about £5. I don't bother with their offering, I've got a Netgear DG834GT (ex-sky) and it works a treat (once you unlock the firmware on the router).

PlusNet 'extra' is good value..

All that said, if I lived in a 'cabled area' then I'd probably take Virgin. BT's infrastructure does leave a lot to be desired sometimes - speed and line capping sometimes just happens 'out of the blue' - PN are pretty good at getting it sorted though.

I've just got Orange broadband, been pretty good so far but wasn't expecting much. Went with them for being the lowest cost for 'unlimited' downloads/usage and the missus being on Orange too made it a bit cheaper too.

Probably too late but heres my take:

Virgin Media Cable - I use this and never had any problems in 4 years. Much quicker than ADSL and only ever had 2 outages, both of which sorted quickly. Wouldnt want to have to rely on their customer service as not impressed on the one occassion I spoke to them, but so reliable never had to.

Talk Talk - Avoid like the plague. Customer service is dreadful. In-laws use them and their connection is awful and speaking to Talk Talk always a nightmare.

Be There Broadband - If I were to use adsl this is who I would go with, great customer service and technical support and good price too.

Talk Talk - Avoid like the plague. Customer service is dreadful. In-laws use them and their connection is awful and speaking to Talk Talk always a nightmare.

Which is the total opposite of my experience with them, though to be fair had little to do with customer service as the connection uptime is almost perfect IMO.

Virgin have been really good for me - their TV service is rubbish compared to Sky but the internet is great.

For those in the Rochford area there is a cable upgrade going in i think later this year (around August / September ) so it could be coming to an area near you .

And I'm pretty sure there is no long contract tie-in with PlusNet. Kinda makes it ideal with the introduction of Fibre technology over BT infrastructure. Although PN have no fibre products right now, they are working on defining something that should be very keen price wise.

Back