• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

We have had a little dip with only 2 wins in 6, however we are unbeaten in 4, so are starting to get back on track again. Football is always cyclical, teams go on good runs and bad runs.

The best teams have good runs of 8 or 9 games and the bad runs are 3 or 4, and the worst teams the opposite.

I would be amazed if Bury continue their form, and next week may be a good time to play them, as they will have to have a dip sometime after 6 wins in 7. Although those 6 wins do include games against Hartlepool (H), Cheltenham (A). York(A), and Mansfield (A). Incidentally all games we won over the course of the season.

Wycombe have only won 4 games in their last 12, they are on the slide after losing a couple of players in January, and I think will be the ones to drop out the top 3 if any of them do.

A defeat tonight would be worrying, but not catastrophic, (and would end any tiny hope of winning the league) but we can't afford to lose both to Bury and Burton.

A draw would be OK, with Wycombe at Luton (they can't carry on losing!) on Saturday, whatever the result tonight, a win against Cambridge on Saturday and we could be back to 2 or 3 points outside the top 3.

A win would be amazing, and would put us only 5 points off top spot, with really a five way fight for the title at the moment.

To be fair Bury's record against any team in the division looks good over the past 10 or so games. They are the form team. But form is temporary, their wheels may not come off but they will wobble between now and the end of the season, as will Burton's. Lets hope in both cases the wobbles start with our visits. And I have no idea why, being a natural pessimist, but I just have a feeling we're going to do ok in both these games. Never a good sign..:'(

I think we're in a difficult position tonight. Ordinarily, a point away at the leaders would be a reasonable outcome, but after the results last night, we really need to pick up all 3 points if we are really wanting to chase down one of the automatic promotion places.

Our record this season, in contrast to last season, is poor against the top sides and given our run-in, we need to change that and quick. The other problem we have is that we're running out of games to make up the gap between ourselves and Wycombe and Shrewsbury, which is effectively 7 points given our inferior goal difference - if we lose tonight, or even pick up a point, it's a big ask to turn that around with our remaining games.

Having said all that, I am genuinely confident of us winning this evening - a dip of 2 defeats in a row has been followed by 4 unbeaten and so confidence will be high going in to this evenings game, and I think the players will feel like we owe them after last season and their misplaced comments this week.

A performance similar to what we produced against Wycombe last week will surely be enough to bring the points back home!

We have had a little dip with only 2 wins in 6, however we are unbeaten in 4, so are starting to get back on track again. Football is always cyclical, teams go on good runs and bad runs.

The best teams have good runs of 8 or 9 games and the bad runs are 3 or 4, and the worst teams the opposite.

I would be amazed if Bury continue their form, and next week may be a good time to play them, as they will have to have a dip sometime after 6 wins in 7. Although those 6 wins do include games against Hartlepool (H), Cheltenham (A). York(A), and Mansfield (A). Incidentally all games we won over the course of the season.

Wycombe have only won 4 games in their last 12, they are on the slide after losing a couple of players in January, and I think will be the ones to drop out the top 3 if any of them do.

A defeat tonight would be worrying, but not catastrophic, (and would end any tiny hope of winning the league) but we can't afford to lose both to Bury and Burton.

A draw would be OK, with Wycombe at Luton (they can't carry on losing!) on Saturday, whatever the result tonight, a win against Cambridge on Saturday and we could be back to 2 or 3 points outside the top 3.

A win would be amazing, and would put us only 5 points off top spot, with really a five way fight for the title at the moment.

I admire your optimism I really do,however we currently need 2.1 points per game to finish on 83 points( I think 85 will be required)which is a big ask indeed.Basically 7 wins from the last 10 games which of course can be achieved but highly improbable .The title or runner up spot is Imo wishful thinking .Defeat tonight won't be the end of the auto dream but would need us to win at least 7 from 9 games.

I do understand what you are saying, but if we lose, then win our next 4 or 5 then its not game over. Every game is there to win, its up to us.

Big If's. We dropped a place in the table last night so we need to make the ground up.

Problem is we are not just chasing top three, after last night, we are now chasing an improving Bury. We need to win to just keep Bury at bay let alone Wycombe. Additionally, top or not, I honestly think our team is better than Burton...
Come on you blues!!!

Southend 4th best defence in the league.
Burton 3rd best defence in the league.

Burton haven't scored in their last 3 midweek games.

The reverse fixture was 0-0.

A big fixture - maybe some tense performances.

I am going lack of goals.

Under 2.5 = 1.6
Under 1.5 = 2.8

Let's get on board and win money!

Just need to stop McGurk, stupid hair style like a girl but is behind most of their attacks. They are more direct with Hasslebaink in charge, they play into the channels and are a better side than when Rowett was in charge.
We need a disciplined game tonight particularly if they get a lead, as they play time wasting, and the table doesn't lie, they are top for a reason. Corr and Pigott could be the aces tonight.:happy::happy:

Wish all those traveling up to the game a safe journey. Finding it hard to see how we will win the game. Many have put stats on here over the past few days, none of which hint towards a Southend win. Stats are ultimately only a set of figures, but the fact is that they show that Burton are top and 8 points ahead of us. At this stage of the season the table is a fair reflection of how we have performed. At best we might get a draw, my head says a 2-0 defeat, my heart desperately hopes we can scrape a win. Just dont think that Brown has it in him to win these big games!

If we win tonight (or in any match) it means we are less reliant on other teams results , and are closer to have destiny in our own hands . However win or loose tonight does not define what is going to happen for the rest of the season.

Don't think Brown has it in him to win these big games.....he only took Hull to the Prem in 2008����⁉️

[iQUOTE=shrimperjon;1717319]Wish all those traveling up to the game a safe journey. Finding it hard to see how we will win the game. Many have put stats on here over the past few days, none of which hint towards a Southend win. Stats are ultimately only a set of figures, but the fact is that they show that Burton are top and 8 points ahead of us. At this stage of the season the table is a fair reflection of how we have performed. At best we might get a draw, my head says a 2-0 defeat, my heart desperately hopes we can scrape a win. Just dont think that Brown has it in him to win these big games![/QUOTE]

If we somehow sneak into the 'autos' come early May then it will be a remarkable steal given that we've not been in the top 3 since august (if memory serves me correct). Yes one of the 3 will probably do a Luton, but it will more probably be Bury that profits. However, if by some good fortune its us than i won't complain, but I think realistically we are destined for play offs.

Back