• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Chico - Worth the money?

• Yes - The kids loved it and it was good fun.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No - Bloke is a total tool - Bring back the Opera bloke.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
[b said:
Quote[/b] (McScriven @ Nov. 20 2006,14:54)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bucks_blue @ Nov. 20 2006,12:38)]And perhaps Chico's fee would have been better spent put towards the beam back... something the fans actually wanted....

But when did what the fans want ever come in to the clubs thinking?!?
1) Out of interest would you have come to see Southend play if they hadn't done the family day?

2) Would you have come to Roots Hall regardless of what else was happening just to watch the football?
1. yes
2.of course

Didn't exactly cheer up the fans and get them vociforous for the first half.My old man never got me hooked on life at the Hall all those years ago by watching a bloke like him.It was the fact that you could see these players in the flesh instead of in the 'paper,or hear the roar of a (fairly) large crowd that was so exciting.Or the fact that he said "watch Southend's right-back closely,the way he shuts the winger down and where he stands at corners and free-kicks".As an eight year old i was embarking on my first season of league football and always put into practice what i'd watched the full back did as much as a boy of that age could.

Point is you see,the footy IS the main part of the show and nothing detracts from that.My twins are just two now but i can't wait to take them to see their local team that is Southend,to talk them thru the game as my dad did to me.

Get those ipods off and get those kids down to the Hall dads,they'll go home wanting a ball not a blooming Chico CD.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (shrimp and two veg @ Nov. 20 2006,15:26)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (McScriven @ Nov. 20 2006,14:54)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bucks_blue @ Nov. 20 2006,12:38)]And perhaps Chico's fee would have been better spent put towards the beam back... something the fans actually wanted....

But when did what the fans want ever come in to the clubs thinking?!?
1) Out of interest would you have come to see Southend play if they hadn't done the family day?

2) Would you have come to Roots Hall regardless of what else was happening just to watch the football?
1. yes
2.of course

Didn't exactly cheer up the fans and get them vociforous for the first half.My old man never got me hooked on life at the Hall all those years ago by watching a bloke like him.It was the fact that you could see these players in the flesh instead of in the 'paper,or hear the roar of a (fairly) large crowd that was so exciting.Or the fact that he said "watch Southend's right-back closely,the way he shuts the winger down and where he stands at corners and free-kicks".As an eight year old i was embarking on my first season of league football and always put into practice what i'd watched the full back did as much as a boy of that age could.

Point is you see,the footy IS the main part of the show and  nothing detracts from that.My twins are just two now but i can't wait to take them to see their local team that is Southend,to talk them thru the game as my dad did to me.

Get those ipods off and get those kids down to the Hall dads,they'll go home wanting a ball not a blooming Chico CD.
That worked a treat when we were pulling 3,500 in League Two didn't it?

Some people will come to see the football and see the football alone.

The point is that those people aren't enough alone to support a professional football club.

If some dubious celebrity gets people along so they can be bitten by the same bug that you was when your dad took you to football then that has to be a good thing doesn't it?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Maldon Blues @ Nov. 20 2006,15:05)]But why oh why Chico?!!!

Many other 'acts' could have attracted Kids and anyone would have been more bearable than the tacky tones of that fool!
It may not be to everyone's taste, but then neither are some of the bands that some chaps on here talk about regulary.

That's the whole point of music and entertainment, not every gets it or enjoys everything.

Obviously though the target auidence we were hoping to attract did like it so it was a success in my eyes.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (McScriven @ Nov. 20 2006,15:55)]Obviously though the target auidence we were hoping to attract did like it so it was a success in my eyes.
I am not sure anyone that gets their kicks from Chico should be encouraged into the Hall personally...
laugh.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (TrueBlue @ Nov. 20 2006,15:59)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]so it was a success in my eyes
Winning Football matches breeds support
Not a f%cking eastern european goat tender!
But does it breed a long term support that will keep them coming through the thick and thin of things?

Only a handful of sides can win the league/promotion each season. Building a support that wants to keep coming regulary is the only way to get bums on seats on a consistent basis.

Look at Norwich, pretty much the only way you can get a ticket at Carrow Road is to be a Season Ticket holder.

Have they done this through winning regulary? Nope. Over the past eigtht years their support has continually grown, even after Premiership relegation.

Why? Because they work hard to attract people to games regardless of results.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (The Artful Shrimper @ Nov. 20 2006,15:56)]Have to say I espied quite a few excited sprogs awaiting Chico.

Also ~  They did come to see Chico !
Blimey is that Message Board for Real !!!!!!!
wow.gif

So some middleaged woman stumped up £20 to come to Roots Hall, watch Chico, wait for 30 mins to talk to him & then leave - get a life !!!!!!!!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (The Artful Shrimper @ Nov. 20 2006,15:56)]Have to say I espied quite a few excited sprogs awaiting Chico.

She left!too cold.....
so you see they came to see Chico and unfortunately won't be back never mind watch our club.No reason why our new stad shouldn't be holding gigs on a saturday night as a seperate entity,great money spinner.As for increasing our fanbase,well you have to get out into the schools and community and wrestle the kids away from your ARSEnals and the like.One of the ways unfortunately is by the team having success.Now that's another matter...........

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Have they done this through winning regulary? Nope. Over the past eigtht years their support has continually grown, even after Premiership relegation.

Maybe due to the fact they have a whole county to support them also when have they been out of the top 2 divisions in 8 years? let me tell you never! not to mention Anglia news is so far up there arse its unreal! also the fact they are nearly always in or around the top of Championship! also they are a club with a decent history shall I go on!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (shrimp and two veg @ Nov. 20 2006,16:11)]
[b said:

She left!too cold.....
so you see they came to see Chico and unfortunately won't be back never mind watch our club.No reason why our new stad shouldn't be holding gigs on a saturday night as a seperate entity,great money spinner.As for increasing our fanbase,well you have to get out into the schools and community and wrestle the kids away from your ARSEnals and the like.One of the ways unfortunately is by the team having success.Now that's another matter...........
So just because one person did that it's a failure?

What about the countless people who stayed?

We do get out into the schools and community, we saw 20,000 children last year all of whom were well plugged with Southend United goodies and ticketing offers and information.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (McScriven @ Nov. 20 2006,16:03)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (TrueBlue @ Nov. 20 2006,15:59)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]so it was a success in my eyes
Winning Football matches breeds support
Not a f%cking eastern european goat tender!
But does it breed a long term support that will keep them coming through the thick and thin of things?

Only a handful of sides can win the league/promotion each season. Building a support that wants to keep coming regulary is the only way to get bums on seats on a consistent basis.

Look at Norwich, pretty much the only way you can get a ticket at Carrow Road is to be a Season Ticket holder.

Have they done this through winning regulary? Nope. Over the past eigtht years their support has continually grown, even after Premiership relegation.

plus the fact there's **** all else to do except herd pigs!

sorry Scriv

Think by having someone as bad as Chico it would make the game seem alot more exciting afterwards for the newbies - unfortunately we managed to perform even worse than Chico in the 1st half.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (TrueBlue @ Nov. 20 2006,16:13)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Have they done this through winning regulary? Nope. Over the past eigtht years their support has continually grown, even after Premiership relegation.

Maybe due to the fact they have a whole county to support them also when have they been out of the top 2 divisions in 8 years? let me tell you never! not to mention Anglia news is so far up there arse its unreal! also the fact they are nearly always in or around the top of Championship! also they are a club with a decent history shall I go on!
But why can't we aspire to that? If we think small then surely that's all we will ever be?

Our catchment area is on a par with Norwich's when you consider everybody out as far as Chelmsford could potentially come to Roots Hall.

Norwich's last ten seasons are:

9th
19th
1st
8th
6th
15th
12th
9th
15th
13th

Hardly set the world alight every season have they?

Still I don't expect much more from you, probably one of the most negative people I've ever read on this forum. It's amazing you have the will to get up in the morning.

SORRY PEOPLE YOU DONT UNDERSTAND CLUB CAN NEVER EVER EVER ADMIT WHEN THEY ARE WRONG....

Lets look at the latest **** ups on the table over the last 4 weeks......

Man Utd Ticket Fiasco

Beam Back Gets Called Off

BUT LETS NOT WORRY CHICO IS HERE TO TOP THINGS OFF! waste of money! waste of time AND waste of effort

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Still I don't expect much more from you, probably one of the most negative people I've ever read on this forum. It's amazing you have the will to get up in the morning.
when will you wake up and realise that nobody appart from you at the club aside one or two others has ANY common sence towards PR!

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Still I don't expect much more from you, probably one of the most negative people I've ever read on this forum. It's amazing you have the will to get up in the morning.
Wonder if the club would be interested to hear that you are on here taking a pop at supporters for expressing their views on how utterly silly things are getting behind the sceens at the club!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (McScriven @ Nov. 20 2006,16:19)]But why can't we aspire to that? If we think small then surely that's all we will ever be?
Thank goodness it's you and not TB doing the marketing, Dave, that's all I can say.

Chico would have pulled in plenty of kids... and, ultimately, it's the kids who are the future of this club. I think it was a great move, personally. Congrats to the club.

Matt

[b said:
Quote[/b] (TrueBlue @ Nov. 20 2006,16:21)]Man Utd Ticket Fiasco

Beam Back Gets Called Off

BUT LETS NOT WORRY CHICO IS HERE TO TOP THINGS OFF! waste of money! waste of time AND waste of effort
OK let's get a few FACTS on the table:

Man U - COuld maybe have done things differently to a certain extent but then I'd like to see you turn that sort of operation around in about 10 days from draw to game.

Beam Back - So you believe we should waste 10k of the clubs money? All we were asking for was enough people to pre-buy to make sure we broke even. We couldn't ever manage that.

Chico - Don't know what you are moaning about he didn't even cost us a penny.

Back