• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Kenny

Thailand Shrimper
oh dear, upto about the middle of August and not liking it very much at all. The new layout is ok once you get hang of it but so many missing features like not being able offload players by circulating their names to other clubs, Media interaction. I started as Southend and straight away something was amiss

Fan Expectation - Promotion
Media Expectation - Champions
Ron Martin - "Bravely Battle Relegation"

Freddy Eastwood value - 4.5k

The game itself doesn't feel that much quicker, where the game goes horribly horribly wrong is the match engine. The speed of it, there's no happy medium, 6 speed is still too slow and then the next speed up from that is 60 speed which is insanely fast. The 2D match engine is very buggy, I've seen an own goal nearly every other game. And not just deflections either, defenders actually hoofing it into their net under no pressure! the goalkeepers serve little purpose except to deflect shots into the net.

meanwhile Man United have signed Rory Delap from Southampton for 5.5m - Realistic player data eh?

all in all it seems Eidos have rushed this out to the unsuspecting public before the magazines can get their claws into it.

Think I'll be sticking to Football Manager 2005!

Ill stick to Football Manager on the commodore 64 thanks. Paul Mariner and Ray Wilkins have worked miracles for Southend:

Nothing can beat the thrill of:

*** YOU HAVE WON THE FA CUP ***

to be honest Mr Toms I found the stick-men match engine in your game far more realistic then the one in CM5!
biggrin.gif

I bought it on Friday and took it back on Saturday! I also saw an own goal more or less in every game, and even 3 own goals in one of my games! At the start i managed to sign anyone i wanted on a free transfer, which i found unrealistic. The player values are stupid, Wayne Gray was our most valuable player and still worth only 19k!Also the players have no history or stats for their previous clubs.

Also, match engine is crap, defenders run out the way of the ball and so does the keeper, meaning a striker who is 30 yards away just runs on to it and scores a 2 yard tap in!

Overall, a load of b******s! Don't buy it!

mad.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bob Cratchitt @ Mar. 24 2005,11:17)]Oi matchstick men only appeared on the Spectrum, the Commodore 64 had little subbutteo style men with different coloured kits.
biggrin.gif
Commodore version

football_manager_01.gif

Spectrum Version

screenshot.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mad Cyril @ Mar. 24 2005,13:20)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bob Cratchitt @ Mar. 24 2005,11:17)]Oi matchstick men only appeared on the Spectrum, the Commodore 64 had little subbutteo style men with different coloured kits.
biggrin.gif
Commodore version

football_manager_01.gif

Spectrum Version

screenshot.gif
Though that obviously is Football Manager 2 - the original Football Manager was totally text based....

I remember getting it and changing Man Utd's name to Southend.... oh Bryan Robson you was a legend for the shrimpers!!

EDIT: I might be thinking of Football Manager on the Atari 800XL though... Hmmm...

[b said:
Quote[/b] (pboreham @ Mar. 24 2005,14:58)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mad Cyril @ Mar. 24 2005,13:20)]
[b said:
biggrin.gif
Commodore version

football_manager_01.gif

Spectrum Version

screenshot.gif
Though that obviously is Football Manager 2 - the original Football Manager was totally text based....

I remember getting it and changing Man Utd's name to Southend.... oh Bryan Robson you was a legend for the shrimpers!!

EDIT: I might be thinking of Football Manager on the Atari 800XL though... Hmmm...
Definitely football manager 1.

My expertise in these matters is not to be questioned.

Best 8bit footy manager game was definately Kenny Dalglish's Soccer Manager. The number of goals J.Fox used to get me from right-wing was crazy. I loved that game.

Brian Clough's Football Fortunes was great too. Half C64 game, half board game. All fun.

Back