• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Yer Blues

Not Always Sarcastic ⭐
I appreciate that this thread will be closely linked to the club statement one but if possible could this please be kept as a stand alone thread. A place we can track correspondence to the club and any replies we get.

Here's mine:

Dear Sirs,

I feel compelled to write to you following The statement made on the club website today (20/04/2009) although I fear this will not be the only communication you receive regarding this matter.

To start, please allow me to introduce myself. My name is Matty Hines and I consider myself a loyal Southend United fan of some 20 years. I am a regular at Roots Hall and although not a Season Ticket holder, I have been in attendance at all home games this season and various away trips.

To say I am incensed by the comments made today regarding the issues at Saturdays game is an understatement. Comments made by a senior member of staff at the club and no doubt authorised for publication by the Chairman. A man for whom I hold tremendous respect.

I was sitting in the West Stand ( Block W Row U Seat 150) on Saturday and had the dubious honour of seeing the events unfold. Whilst I appreciate your time is precious I would like to draw your attention to several points from the statement.

On Saturday at the match against Leicester City fighting broke out in the north end of the West Stand (block W) when it was discovered that four Leicester City fans had found themselves in that area.”

This is correct. From my vantage point these fans seem to have been in their seats from kick off. There is no indication these people had gained entry to the block by nefarious means.

As a result the Police Commander of the day was forced to take the action of calling in the resources that he had outside the ground to quell the situation where police officers and stewards found themselves at the centre of a fight where Southend fans were fighting not only the four Leicester fans but amongst themselves as well.”

Partially correct. Quite promptly a visible Police presence was noticeable. However (and I do not claim to be privy to their remit) the vast majority of officers were holding cameras or were standing next to officers holding cameras. Many laughing to each other as if to be part of some in joke.

Now, I wholeheartedly understand the necessity of this photographing/filming. It is of course essential that the offenders are identified and punished. I will not say that the Police made no attempt to gain control of the situation, but this job seemed to fall at the feet of Southend Unite d's own stewards. I must clarify that these staff did an excellent job in a very difficult situation.

The accusation that Southend fans were fighting between themselves is perhaps the most offensive thing I have ever read written by a member of club staff. I understand in the heat of the moment some facts can be overlooked. However, this statement was not published in the heat of the moment. This was posted some 48 hours after the event. Ample time one would think to at last look at CCTV footage or the copious amount of material captured by the Police on match day.

This comment in particular has left a very bitter taste in the mouths of the Southend fans caught in the crossfire in Block W and I believe the East Stand as well. I witnessed a horrific scene on Saturday and this statement threatens to undermine the great spirit between the fans and the club that has been built over the last few seasons.

I look forward to reading a retraction to this scandalous comment.

Should you wish to discuss the contents of this email please feel free to contact me on 07*********.

Yours, in anticipation.

Matty Hines

Really well written actually Matty. Perhaps expand on the fact that, as far as you saw, NO in-fighting between Southend fans took place, just to make your position and statement clear. Unless you've already sent it of course! Apart from that, nice one!

Yeah, good letter there. Be very interested to see how it is replied to.

Great letter but expect the reply to say why don't you consider a season ticket in one part!

Lets hope that they do contact you and all is sorted

I appreciate that this thread will be closely linked to the club statement one but if possible could this please be kept as a stand alone thread. A place we can track correspondence to the club and any replies we get.

Here's mine:

Dear Sirs,

I feel compelled to write to you following The statement made on the club website today (20/04/2009) although I fear this will not be the only communication you receive regarding this matter.

To start, please allow me to introduce myself. My name is Matty Hines and I consider myself a loyal Southend United fan of some 20 years. I am a regular at Roots Hall and although not a Season Ticket holder, I have been in attendance at all home games this season and various away trips.

To say I am incensed by the comments made today regarding the issues at Saturdays game is an understatement. Comments made by a senior member of staff at the club and no doubt authorised for publication by the Chairman. A man for whom I hold tremendous respect.

I was sitting in the West Stand ( Block W Row U Seat 150) on Saturday and had the dubious honour of seeing the events unfold. Whilst I appreciate your time is precious I would like to draw your attention to several points from the statement.

On Saturday at the match against Leicester City fighting broke out in the north end of the West Stand (block W) when it was discovered that four Leicester City fans had found themselves in that area.”

This is correct. From my vantage point these fans seem to have been in their seats from kick off. There is no indication these people had gained entry to the block by nefarious means.

As a result the Police Commander of the day was forced to take the action of calling in the resources that he had outside the ground to quell the situation where police officers and stewards found themselves at the centre of a fight where Southend fans were fighting not only the four Leicester fans but amongst themselves as well.”

Partially correct. Quite promptly a visible Police presence was noticeable. However (and I do not claim to be privy to their remit) the vast majority of officers were holding cameras or were standing next to officers holding cameras. Many laughing to each other as if to be part of some in joke.

Now, I wholeheartedly understand the necessity of this photographing/filming. It is of course essential that the offenders are identified and punished. I will not say that the Police made no attempt to gain control of the situation, but this job seemed to fall at the feet of Southend Unite d's own stewards. I must clarify that these staff did an excellent job in a very difficult situation.

The accusation that Southend fans were fighting between themselves is perhaps the most offensive thing I have ever read written by a member of club staff. I understand in the heat of the moment some facts can be overlooked. However, this statement was not published in the heat of the moment. This was posted some 48 hours after the event. Ample time one would think to at last look at CCTV footage or the copious amount of material captured by the Police on match day.

This comment in particular has left a very bitter taste in the mouths of the Southend fans caught in the crossfire in Block W and I believe the East Stand as well. I witnessed a horrific scene on Saturday and this statement threatens to undermine the great spirit between the fans and the club that has been built over the last few seasons.

I look forward to reading a retraction to this scandalous comment.

Should you wish to discuss the contents of this email please feel free to contact me on 07*********.

Yours, in anticipation.

Matty Hines

Back