• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

tommytwoholes

1) Does anybody else think there was more people there than the official attendance. The website said that some 3,700 family tickets had been sold. Add to that the season ticket holders of around 1600. Which make the supposed crowd of 5,300 odd. So they are trying to tell us that nobody paid on the day!!!

2) I dont understand why people on this message board seem to think that no matter how the team play they should be supported with cheers. Yes the team deserve encouragement and yes its wrong to slate certain players for nothing (ie) Bart. But you cant honestly believe that the players didn't warrant booing on saturday afternoon. If we were to cheer them off the pitch after every defeat then they would come to belive that its ok. They probably left the pitch total ****ed off with the booing, which will mean that they wont want to face it again come the next home game. By all means encourage the team during the game, but save the jeers till after the final wistle.

3) It was hardly surprising that we created very little saturday in midfield. I seem to remember the same midfield being totaly outfought and outplayed at Cardiff. We had no corbett on the bench and i have to say that wayne grey looks very shot shy. And why is it that maher takes corners? He lofts the ball everytime only for it to be easily headed away! Surley someone who can put a ball in with pace is should be taking them.

The only positive to come out was that we have players to come back from injury and we have seen that certain combinations do not work!!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (tommytwoholes @ Aug. 09 2004,11:04)]2) I dont understand why people on this message board seem to think that no matter how the team play they should be supported with cheers. Yes the team deserve encouragement and yes its wrong to slate certain players for nothing (ie) Bart. But you cant honestly believe that the players didn't warrant booing on saturday afternoon. If we were to cheer them off the pitch after every defeat then they would come to belive that its ok. They probably left the pitch total ****ed off with the booing, which will mean that they wont want to face it again come the next home game. By all means encourage the team during the game, but save the jeers till after the final wistle.
Believe it or not, you could just not do anything at all. Imagine being a player and walking off to an eerie silence (Jeffa's ramblings apart). That might just say as much as the all-too negative booing ONE game into a League season of FORTY-SIX.

Once Corbett, Smith and Bentley are fully fit and we get the right combination up front we will have a different story. Tilly also needs to shuffle the pack a little at the back, so we don't get done for pace every week. Have no fear though - we ain't going down and Saturday doesn't mean the whole season is in ruins. people are letting their disappointment get in the way of a little perspective.

Look on the bright side - Drewe will be back from injury soon and we all know what a fantastic talent he can be.

(No longer) Exiled Shrimper,

Don't waste anymore time responding to Tommy two braincells posts!

BTW, the crowd figure IMHO was correct!

Sorry prophet . Perhaps you would like us all to baaagghh like sheep. I thought this was a discussion list . Perhaps you should call it the lets all agree on the same issues list!! You offer a different perpective to others and your seen as some kind of trouble maker. Sorry for having two braincells as you put it. But evidently thats better than 1!!!

1 game, 1 loss and a below par performance (Not committment).

Get the poor stuff out of the way early and once the correct team gel's then hopefully we will be on track.

Tommy you are being over-critical after just one game!

Sorry, only stating my opinion!

Agree with the comments re Maher and corners. He cant deliver a paper! Sooner we find better taker of corners + free kicks isn't soon enough. We also wasted a great free kick in 2nd half, 25 yards out, central position, ended up blasted into the wall. Looked like we didnt know what to do. I thought these set-pieces were worked on in training?

POD - you are indeed entitled to your opinion, but in the case of how many braincells TommyTwoHoles has, you are quite wrong. He has at least three.

However, after the genuine thought of a better season (and a 10 percent hike in the gate price), I think everyone was entitled to boo the team off. The whole team stalled, and while we shouldn't get too despondent, the goals conceeded were poor and with two away games to come, a couple of decent results are needed before we welcome Cambridge to the Hall - otherwise the attendence will be pitiful again....

[b said:
Quote[/b] (tommytwoholes @ Aug. 09 2004,11:04)]1) Does anybody else think there was more people there than the official attendance. The website said that some 3,700 family tickets had been sold. Add to that the season ticket holders of around 1600. Which make the supposed crowd of 5,300 odd. So they are trying to tell us that nobody paid on the day!!!
Has been mentioned before [myself included]. I am inclined to agree that what looks like a half full stadium with a capacity of 12,000 plus, should equate to 6,000 odd... but how do we know when the stadium is half full by just looking around? I don't have a valid answer to this question!

Once the figures are made official, we must accept them as correct... I understand they are periodically checked for authenticity by an independant body as part of accounting procedures, so if anything was amiss, it would come to light during one such audit.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (CI-City Blue @ Aug. 09 2004,11:42)]POD - you are indeed entitled to your opinion, but in the case of how many braincells TommyTwoHoles has, you are quite wrong.  He has at least three.

However, after the genuine thought of a better season (and a 10 percent hike in the gate price), I think everyone was entitled to boo the team off.  The whole team stalled, and while we shouldn't get too despondent, the goals conceeded were poor and with two away games to come, a couple of decent results are needed before we welcome Cambridge to the Hall - otherwise the attendence will be pitiful again....
I can guarantee that if people continue to boo the side at every possible opportunity (half-time, full-time, for showing a bit of passion - though Spinner's outburst at the young ballboy was OTT, so was the crowd's reaction), then the attendances for home games will become pitiful. It's the same with people who moan on and on about the pre-match entertainment - the kids are our future, so if this sort of stuff attracts them to Roots Hall above Upton Park, White Hart Lane or Highbury then it doesn't matter if it is cr&p - if you don't want to watch it, spend your time in a bar.

But back to the point in question: I can (grudgingly) accept booing in the second half of the season when a side is not putting in 100% and is struggling near the foot of the table. But after 45, 75 or 90 minutes of the FIRST game of the season? I'm sorry, but that's totally unacceptable.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (tommytwoholes @ Aug. 09 2004,11:04)]1) Does anybody else think there was more people there than the official attendance. The website said that some 3,700 family tickets had been sold. Add to that the season ticket holders of around 1600. Which make the supposed crowd of 5,300 odd. So they are trying to tell us that nobody paid on the day!!!
The 3,700 publicisied included season ticket holders already.

But back to the point in question: I can (grudgingly) accept booing in the second half of the season when a side is not putting in 100% and is struggling near the foot of the table. But after 45, 75 or 90 minutes of the FIRST game of the season? I'm sorry, but that's totally unacceptable.

Im sorry that you feel that way. But i will pay my £16.50 (which is a lot) and be happy about paying that when the team show 100% commitment regardless of win lose or draw. Until that time and if the team play as they did saturday i will feel entitled to boo at the END of the match. We as fans make a massive commitment both timewise and financially and i feel very angry when i pay to watch players going through the motions. Rant over bring on the Lincoln!!!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (tommytwoholes @ Aug. 09 2004,12:25)]Sorry prophet . Perhaps you would like us all to baaagghh like sheep. I thought this was a discussion list . Perhaps you should call it the lets all agree on the same issues list!! You offer a different perpective to others and your seen as some kind of trouble maker. Sorry for having two braincells as you put it. But evidently thats better than 1!!!
I think that everyone (and I'm included here) needs to appreciate that this is indeed a discussion list and that EVERYONE is entitled to their opinion.

On that same basis, if that opinion is contary to someone's own then that should too be respected. We may all disagree at times but that should be what this message board is all about. Therefore, we will NOT be banning people just because they might have comments contrary to everyone else's, even if they are of the negative ilk. Structured response and debate is the way to reply. And less of the abuse ...

WS

I thought Mahers corners were pretty good the way he floated them in we just had no one on the end of them. Agreed we need to sort out free kicks though!!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Exiled Shrimper @ Aug. 09 2004,11:58)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (CI-City Blue @ Aug. 09 2004,11:42)]POD - you are indeed entitled to your opinion, but in the case of how many braincells TommyTwoHoles has, you are quite wrong.  He has at least three.

However, after the genuine thought of a better season (and a 10 percent hike in the gate price), I think everyone was entitled to boo the team off.  The whole team stalled, and while we shouldn't get too despondent, the goals conceeded were poor and with two away games to come, a couple of decent results are needed before we welcome Cambridge to the Hall - otherwise the attendence will be pitiful again....
I can guarantee that if people continue to boo the side at every possible opportunity (half-time, full-time, for showing a bit of passion - though Spinner's outburst at the young ballboy was OTT, so was the crowd's reaction), then the attendances for home games will become pitiful. It's the same with people who moan on and on about the pre-match entertainment - the kids are our future, so if this sort of stuff attracts them to Roots Hall above Upton Park, White Hart Lane or Highbury then it doesn't matter if it is cr&p - if you don't want to watch it, spend your time in a bar.

Agree to a certain extent, But the Greens which has more than its fair share of 'moaners' i felt was very supportive.

It was boiling, the players looked pitifull and i think many were shocked and disapointed, at HT i felt there would be more boos but there were not.

I didn't boo at either HT or FT but i think id have had a right too considering the performance given.

Ask yourself this, if you've come to the Hall for the first time would you come back given it costs £16.50 and the level of performance shown ?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shrimper JK @ Aug. 09 2004,18:14)]I thought Mahers corners were pretty good the way he floated them in we just had no one on the end of them. Agreed we need to sort out free kicks though!!
I think Maher and Gower are perfectly equipped to take corners and although the odd one does go astray, they are relatively few...

What does concern me is that some corners tend to be over hit, ending up deep and over everyones heads with no one to pick up the loose ball.

It would be useful to have one of the wide men staying out wide when a deep ball is to be played to ensure pressure is maintained on the opposition!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (footymad13 @ Aug. 09 2004,18:25)]Ask yourself this, if you've come to the Hall for the first time would you come back given it costs £16.50 and the level of performance shown ?
I would've, but I can't speak for other people! No, it was a poor performance, but if you're a 7- or 8-year-old and you've watched that game, been disappointed that perhaps YOUR new side has played badly, the last thing you want to hear is supposedly YOUR own supporters booing the side off. What would you think? Probably something along the lines of "Well if that's how the fans react after ONE game, then I'll go to Upton Park instead". As I said before, in the second half of the season, when there's a perceived lack of effort and the side are rock bottom of the table, I can just about stomach it. But not after ONE game.

Back