• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Slipperduke

The Camden Cad
Now, on the off chance that someone from Andorra is holidaying in Singapore and is reading this article, let me make it clear that I have nothing against your country. I've never met an Andorran, which is hardly surprising as I believe there are only about 30 of you in existence, but I'm sure that you're all lovely. I just don't see why we have to play football against you tonight.

This isn't the arrogance of an English football fan giddy on six straight wins. Goodness me, I've got more than enough experience of my country to avoid falling into that trap. I'd be aggrieved at having to play you if I was Scottish. The games are just no fun to watch whatsoever.

We all know who's going to win, it's just a question of how many goals are scored and these days it's not so many. After years of being soundly thrashed by every opponent, I can quite understand why you decided to start playing with a flat back ten. I'd do the same if I was your manager, but that doesn't make it anymore watchable. It's the same thing every time. We get the ball, look up, see all of you lined up in front of the goalkeeper, and then we're not sure what to do. Running is out of the question as there's nowhere to go. Crossing is tricky because your defenders are so big. We could stand with the ball on the halfway line, safe in the knowledge that you won't come after us, but that's not the point. Only one team is trying to win. It's like watching Bolton Wanderers.

Part of this is our fault. By now, someone should have devised a formation specifically for playing you. Someone should have countered your 10-0-0 with some kind of ultra-aggressive 1-4-5. Who knows, maybe Fabio Capello will be the man to do it, though I'd bet against it.

One of the problems you see, dear Andorran, is that my fellow England fan isn't always as friendly and rational as myself. My fellow England fan, in some cases, can get quite worked up over the idea of playing any more than ten minutes against you without scoring. He starts to froth at the mouth and then gets all worked up and swears until he goes blue in the face. The players hear it, they freeze and then nothing happens at all. Now granted, this was quite understandable when Steve McClaren was in charge and we barely tried, but when we beat you under Capello, there was actually some endeavour on display and it all went unnoticed in the midst of the impatience.

I don't see why FIFA can't take you, San Marino, the Faroe Islands, Liechtenstein and all the other minnows and have a pre-qualifying group. Don't dismiss it out of hand before you think about it. At least then you'll get to play some games against opponents of your own ability. You might even win a few and, believe me, celebrating a win is much more fun than celebrating a tight 0-3 defeat. Who knows, maybe you'll be so good that the likes of Armenia will start to load their defence against you. At least that way you'll know how we feel.

Ha - nice one, Slip! I went to the last two away games against Andorra and they were both p*55 poor, although the first one did have the redeeming factor of the fury towards McLaren at the end of the first half. It won't be pretty tomorrow either, I'm quite sure, and the only way to give it some frisson might be to have a wager on the scoreline. That made my 5-0 forecast for the last home game against them rather fine, but I know lightning rarely stikes ten times. I like the idea of 'a punchbags' pre-qualifying group and I like the idea of giving Scotland a chance too. Whoops, I've been spending too much time on the BNP thread...

I'm off to the game again tomorrow and I can't wait.

I fully expect an England win, like I did on Saturday, but I don't think it will be as easy as some people think. I hope the England boys don't that the attitude of "oh well its only Andorra". We need an early goal tomorrow, if not I can see the usual Wembley boo boys coming out despite 6 straight wins in qualification.

I'm off to the game again tomorrow and I can't wait.

I fully expect an England win, like I did on Saturday, but I don't think it will be as easy as some people think. I hope the England boys don't that the attitude of "oh well its only Andorra". We need an early goal tomorrow, if not I can see the usual Wembley boo boys coming out despite 6 straight wins in qualification.

Don't worry, BW2, they will get tonked! I'd be surprised if they even forced a corner. I'm serious! :stunned:

I think someone should do a suicidal back pass in the first ten seconds .. The Andorrans will be so shocked that they have the lead and will forget their "park the team bus in front of the goal" mentality allowing England to waltz through at will

Before any young pup out there mocks me, ask Stuart Pearce his view ;)

I think someone should do a suicidal back pass in the first ten seconds .. The Andorrans will be so shocked that they have the lead and will forget their "park the team bus in front of the goal" mentality allowing England to waltz through at will

Before any young pup out there mocks me, ask Stuart Pearce his view ;)

I'll never forget that moment, pure shock!!

Nice read. I can see where your coming from and I agree but if you see it in their point of view, all of the people that want to avoid paying taxes (I believe that taxes do not exist in Andorra) get to play against top players from top countries which would be a great experience.

They've never even considered the thought of England underperforming (I would say losing but that's not likely to happen, never was). Arrogant *******s. This is England we're talking about, we're the new Spain for God's sake, got the talent, just can't win with it.

And talking of tipsters...no corners for the Pyreneeans! :)

I won a £1 off my brother taking that bet on so thank you sir.

Also, Bluesmanager, it was Rob Green in goal and yes they did have a shot in the first half from distance that went over.

I won a £1 off my brother taking that bet on so thank you sir.

Also, Bluesmanager, it was Rob Green in goal and yes they did have a shot in the first half from distance that went over.

A pleasure, sir! Wish I'd put some money on it...also said to a guy at work today that it would be a tennis score, ie 6-0...sigh...

Back