• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Oh how people have such short memories. I'll leave this thread so you can insert your tongues further up the arse of a man who achieved nothing but apparently is some kind of "legend".

Oh how people have such short memories. I'll leave this thread so you can insert your tongues further up the arse of a man who achieved nothing at Southend but apparently is some kind of "legend".

Edited for accuracy. BTW I never called him a "legend", but he is more of a cult hero in my opinion.

Different times, different challenges. Is not easy to say who is better than who.

Tilly did a great job with us..but it did turn sour. Many reasons for that.

Dave Webb did a fantastic job and got us into the second tier.

Arthur Rowley? Our first ever promotion. Sadly relegation followed four years later.

Dave Smith? Promotion in 78 and a title in 81. Fantastic..but two relegation seasons to throw in.

Luggy? Steadied a sinking ship and got close to promotion. A Wembley final achieved.

All a part of the history and fabric of Southend United. All made their mark.

We could well have been non-league/liquidated if Sturrock hadn't steadied this sinking ship. Putting together one of the highest points totals we've achieved in a season unlucky not to get promoted and got us to a Wembley final generating much needed revenue.

Those focusing on PS achieving nothing on paper are far too narrow minded.

Cheers Sturrock.

Thank you Paul for managing to keep the club afloat through sheer good management and hard work despite working for that ****ehawk. You deserved a medal. The best of luck for the future to you and your family.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion but the thing that sets a gentleman like Paul Sturrock apart is knowing when to voice it. It's a pity that a thread bidding farewell to a man that did some good things for our club has to be tainted with an argument about his status by comparison with other former managers. It's in the past so does it really matter?

I thank you for all your effort Paul and wish you and Andrea all the very best for the future, whatever it may bring.

well it depends how you measure greatness. remember up to 1982 there was no jpt!! i think smiths achievements have been overlooked. if there had been play offs in 81/2 its likely we would have gone up via the play offs
so for me greatness is sucess. something sturrock didnt have. i dont rate him anywhere nearthe list i mentioned

well it depends how you measure greatness. remember up to 1982 there was no jpt!! i think smiths achievements have been overlooked. if there had been play offs in 81/2 its likely we would have gone up via the play offs
so for me greatness is sucess. something sturrock didnt have. i dont rate him anywhere nearthe list i mentioned
Dave Smith is my all time favourite Southend manager :thumbsup:

Everyone is entitled to their opinion but the thing that sets a gentleman like Paul Sturrock apart is knowing when to voice it. It's a pity that a thread bidding farewell to a man that did some good things for our club has to be tainted with an argument about his status by comparison with other former managers. It's in the past so does it really matter?

I thank you for all your effort Paul and wish you and Andrea all the very best for the future, whatever it may bring.

I'll concur with that.:thumbsup:

And you are entitled to your opinion. Just seems a little cheap to use this thread to voice it.

Oh how people have such short memories. I'll leave this thread so you can insert your tongues further up the arse of a man who achieved nothing but apparently is some kind of "legend".

No need for that sort of attitude is there? If anything it seems to be you displaying the short memory.

Football is all about fine margins. Both Sturrock and Tilson got Southend to a League Two Play-Off. In Tilly's one Nicolau dived to win a dodgy penalty to sneak the semi and then we scraped through in extra time in the final thanks to a very dodgy offside flag which denied Lincoln a win they would have deserved. I'm not sure what's prompting your rage just because one manager got a couple of slices of luck that the other didn't.

Personally I'd rank Tilly above Sturrock but I'm very happy to have had both manage here.

No need for that sort of attitude is there? If anything it seems to be you displaying the short memory.

Football is all about fine margins. Both Sturrock and Tilson got Southend to a League Two Play-Off. In Tilly's one Nicolau dived to win a dodgy penalty to sneak the semi and then we scraped through in extra time in the final thanks to a very dodgy offside flag which denied Lincoln a win they would have deserved. I'm not sure what's prompting your rage just because one manager got a couple of slices of luck that the other didn't.

Personally I'd rank Tilly above Sturrock but I'm very happy to have had both manage here.

As I originally said, I wish him well in the future. I bear him no malice - I'm sure he's a lovely bloke and the playoff season definitely had its great moments. For 1 point, who knows where we'd be now.

Did he save us? As I'm reguarly been told there's more players than clubs so would A.N. Other been able to put together a squad to compete. We'll never know.

But to me (and I'm not alone) do not see him as a "legend" in any shape or form - just another interim manager who achieved nothing, who played some curious and sometimes downright tedious football at times. And before anyone harps on about the number of games I see, I read enough on here to know that was the case.

And on that note, I am definitely done on this thread.

Back