• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Kenny

Thailand Shrimper
Well another year and another Fifa, and I've got my mits on a promo copy and although it feels slightly better then 2005 and 04 it's still way way way behind Pro Evo 5.

As always the presentation is really slick and Premier and Football league are fully licensed. I've started a league campaign with Southend and after the first couple of games I thought I might actually like FIFA this year but a few more games on and too many things are annoying me again, passes that never reach their target, impossible crossing and corners. The refs dish out red cards pretty easily (a criticism of Pro Evo 3 as well, but in Pro Evo 5 they are more lenient). Goalies pull off the occasional amazing save but I see too many goals where the keeper makes a save but he pushes it into the net.

In a nod to Pro Evo you can have the PES buttons as default. Whilst it is a plus point to have a fully licensed League One the Southend data is a bit shoddy to say the least and bizarrely their appearances can't be edited - Jay Smith is white, Maher and Bentley are skinheads yet Barrett has a full on barnet. Lawson and Stuart Williams are in it but Gutts is nowhere to be seen. A lot of the appearances of the Premier$hite players are pretty accurate though.

In a nutshell I'm sure FIFA will sell loads again due to the amount of official licenses and their heavy TV advertising (which I have to say the ad with Rooney and Ronaldinho is cool) but the game itself is mid-table compared to run away leaders Pro Evo.

After being a FIFA fan since I got FIFA 95 on the megadrive, I have decided to not buy it and wait for Pro Evo 5, I can't quite put my finger on it but it's just better than FIFA.

Needless to say I will have a quick go on it when my brother buys it this friday
biggrin.gif

i have gone for pro evo 5 this year as well. I was strangly overpowered by its attraction on play.com so i decided to buy it.

Or your conscience was telling you that Fifa is horribly poor every year, and people only buy it because of the licenses and detail, not because of the gameplay.

It's how EA do all their games, their cricket game this year had county sides and licenses but was a s%&t gameplay, while Brian Lara Cricket had only international teams and crap player faces etc but a much better gameplay.

Therefore, I urge everyone to not buy their crap so everyone else can get licenses instead!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Museshrimper @ Sep. 27 2005,17:12)]Or your conscience was telling you that Fifa is horribly poor every year, and people only buy it because of the licenses and detail, not because of the gameplay.

It's how EA do all their games, their cricket game this year had county sides and licenses but was a s%&t gameplay, while Brian Lara Cricket had only international teams and crap player faces etc but a much better gameplay.

Therefore, I urge everyone to not buy their crap so everyone else can get licenses instead!
agreed, I like Lara 2005 as well, despite the naff player likenesses and names.

also SEGA NFL 2k5 was better then Madden 2005 in my opinion plus it was being sold for £19.99 - EA's response to this attack on their share of the NFL market? They signed a golden handcuffs license with the NFL meaning they were the only ones with the license. This instantly killed any new Sega or other NFL games dead in the water. EA are basically trying to kill off the competition in sports games by gradually getting their mitts on any official licenses.

Exactly, and that's one of the main reasons why I refuse to buy their games.

If PES5 is kept close to WE9 this year, then the full stop of football video games has been written.

WE9 is just superb - I have been playing computer games for 20 years (*the shame!*) and tried mostly all the football games ever made and nothing touches WE9 in my opinion.

Sure it has faults and the lack of a proper English license is a bind, but with such a good community and the excellent in-game editor, you can get a decent Premiers%&te running no probs.

Its the little touches I like - i.e. if a player goes down injured and the ball doesnt go out of play, the ref stops the game, the player gets treatment and the game restarts with a drop-ball! Just awesome...

(Oh, the PSP version is almost identical too!)

[b said:
Quote[/b] (pboreham @ Sep. 27 2005,18:16)]If PES5 is kept close to WE9 this year, then the full stop of football video games has been written.

WE9 is just superb - I have been playing computer games for 20 years (*the shame!*) and tried mostly all the football games ever made and nothing touches WE9 in my opinion.
I haven't played WE9 but PES4 is the best football game I have ever played and like PBorham I have played most of them over the years.

Others of note include Sensible Soccer on the SNES and Tehkan world cup (the one with the trackball controller) in the arcades.

tehkanwc.png

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mad Cyril @ Sep. 28 2005,09:08)]Others of note include Sensible Soccer on the SNES and Tehkan world cup (the one with the trackball controller) in the arcades.
Tekhan World Cup! Now that was a great way to induce blisters. It used to leave my hand looking like I'd been watching Playboy TV 24/7 for a month.

I downloaded an emulator version and although the graphics and sound were spot on, it just wasn't the same without the trackball control.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Kenny @ Sep. 28 2005,10:48)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mad Cyril @ Sep. 28 2005,09:08)]Others of note include Sensible Soccer on the SNES and Tehkan world cup (the one with the trackball controller) in the arcades.
Tekhan World Cup! Now that was a great way to induce blisters. It used to leave my hand looking like I'd been watching Playboy TV 24/7 for a month.

I downloaded an emulator version and although the graphics and sound were spot on, it just wasn't the same without the trackball control.
Me too. On the older machines the trackball dropped a little and could realy give you a nasty pinch.

I used to spend hours playing that though along with Sega Hot Rod.

I cant betray FIFA, 06 will be purchased.

Maher being bald, and Smith being white annoyed me last year, but im used to that now, not having Guttridge will p%&s me off, is he in the Cambridge squad?

If not i will just have to create the super star!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (pboreham @ Sep. 27 2005,18:16)]WE9 is just superb - I have been playing computer games for 20 years (*the shame!*) and tried mostly all the football games ever made and nothing touches WE9 in my opinion.
identical too!)
Apologies for my ignorance, but what game is "WE9" and on what consoles is it available for?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (CI-City Blue @ Sep. 29 2005,12:56)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (pboreham @ Sep. 27 2005,18:16)]WE9 is just superb - I have been playing computer games for 20 years (*the shame!*) and tried mostly all the football games ever made and nothing touches WE9 in my opinion.
identical too!)
Apologies for my ignorance, but what game is "WE9" and on what consoles is it available for?
WE9 is the Japanese version of Pro Evolution Soccer 5.

Both are (or will be) available for the PS2

Back