• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Films you've watched recently.

Indeed, they learnt how to after making fortunes from WW1.

One of the worst was Prescott Bush, grandfather of George W. He funded the nazi party in the 1930's and had assets siezed for 'trading with enemy' because he continued to do so even during WW2
And the irony there is George Bush Snr was a fighter pilot in the Battle of Britain.

Another good film just in case Naps get the hump ?

And the irony there is George Bush Snr was a fighter pilot in the Battle of Britain.

Another good film just in case Naps get the hump ?

He was a fighter pilot but that was for the US navy, so he fought in the pacific theatre.

He was shot done and had to ditch in the sea, there is some old grainy footage somewhere of him being rescued by a US submarine.....Others who were shot down in the same raid not so lucky and were tortured and murdered by the Japs......They also ate some of their organs including the liver etc.

Not quite I'm afraid - he served in the Pacific theatre from 1944 which leads nicely onto the film - to stay on topic :Smile: - The Thin Red Line. A few too many cameo's but one of probably only a handful of films that are way better than the book :Thumbs up:

Not quite I'm afraid - he served in the Pacific theatre from 1944 which leads nicely onto the film - to stay on topic :Smile: - The Thin Red Line. A few too many cameo's but one of probably only a handful of films that are way better than the book :Thumbs up:

I believe Audie Murphy was the real deal as in a war hero. Not a bad film either.

He sure was, one of the most decorated US servicemen in WW2.
Died far too young (45) in a plane crash.

Despite being broke, he refused to appear in cigarette & alcohol adverts due to the effect it may have on the youth of the time. That's a :Thumbs up: from me.

He was a fighter pilot but that was for the US navy, so he fought in the pacific theatre.

He was shot done and had to ditch in the sea, there is some old grainy footage somewhere of him being rescued by a US submarine.....Others who were shot down in the same raid not so lucky and were tortured and murdered by the Japs......They also ate some of their organs including the liver etc.

As did the late President Jack Kennedy in the American navy.He suffered severe back injury all his life from the time his PT boat was shot up.This was memorably portrayted in the film PT !09.

Could have sworn I read he was a volunteer pilot. A quick look on wiki proved otherwise. Well done chaps, nice to see some clever history buffs on here.

And just for Naps, Sherlock Holmes, Game of Shadows. Watched it last night, again.

I think MG means Audie Murphy was the most decorated American solder of WW2.
Murphy played himself in the biopic 'To Hell and Back' (1955) which was all about his experiences in WW2. 'The Red Badge of Courage' was set in the American Civil War.

As war is a current theme on this thread. I would recommend Five come back on Netflix. Its about Hollywood during wartime and does a real good job of exploring propaganda etc. They are also showing most of the films discussed during the film if you wan to follow up after.

As war is a current theme on this thread. I would recommend Five come back on Netflix. Its about Hollywood during wartime and does a real good job of exploring propaganda etc. They are also showing most of the films discussed during the film if you wan to follow up after.

Seems like a good time to plug a 1940's British propaganda film called Western Approuches. It's about the sinking of a British merchant ship and how a German U-Boat stalked the suvivers waiting to sink any rescue ship. All the main charactors were serving crew of the Merchant Service and one of them was a certain Able Seaman John Bernard Walden, my dad.

The acting as you can imagine was awful but the story its self is quite good. If any of you do find it and give it a go, watch out for the bit where one of the sailors counts his lines in while holding on to the mast. That's the old man's big bit in the film.

Back