• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Films you've watched recently.

Not very true to the book.

Great soundtrack though.
There were some "minor" changes from the book -including towards the end, IIRC, his escape from a second "island" prison and his subsequent border crossing to safety.Presumably director Alan Parker made these changes to save a bit of location cash.Dunno about the soundtrack .Vangelis wasn't it?

Last edited:
James Gray's The Immigrant with Marion Cotillard and Joaquim Phoenix.I'm grateful to our younger daugher for passing on a DVD copy of this Little seen 2013 film to us. A dark,well acted film which deals with inmmigration to Ellis island after WW1.

Some I've seen lately:

The Menu - good fun.
Everything Everywhere All At Once - excellent in every way.
The Good Nurse - worthy but dull.
Barbarian - great fun. If you like a horror this is for you.
The Banshees of Inisheeran - misery abounds but has its moments.

Some I've seen lately:

The Menu - good fun.
Everything Everywhere All At Once - excellent in every way.
The Good Nurse - worthy but dull.
Barbarian - great fun. If you like a horror this is for you.
The Banshees of Inisheeran - misery abounds but has its moments.
Very much on my want to see list as soon as it gets a release here along with The Fablemans.

Last edited:
There were some "minor" changes from the book -including towards the end, IIRC, his escape from a second "island" prison and his subsequent border crossing to safety.Presumably director Alan Parker made these changes to save a bit of location cash.Dunno about the soundtrack .Vangelis wasn't it?
Giorgio Moroder.

There were than minor changes from the book. Billy escaped on a boat from an island prison. He did not kill the brutal head guard and walk out in his uniform.

The homosexual stuff was removed as well:

From Wikipedia:

Various aspects of Billy Hayes's story were fictionalized or added for the movie:

• In the movie, Hayes is in Turkey with his girlfriend when he is arrested; in real life, he was travelling alone.
  • Although Billy spent 17 days in the prison's psychiatric hospital in 1972 in the book, he never bites out anyone's tongue, which, in the film, leads to him being committed to the section for the criminally insane.
  • The book ends with Hayes being moved to İmralı prison, on an island from which he eventually escapes by stealing a dinghy, rowing 17 miles (27 km) in a raging storm across the Sea of Marmara, traveling by foot and by bus to Istanbul, and then crossing the border into Greece.[8] In the film, that passage is replaced by a violent scene in which he unwittingly kills the head guard who is preparing to rape him. (In the book, Hamidou, the chief guard, was killed in 1973 by a recently paroled prisoner, who spotted him drinking tea at a café outside the prison, and shot him eight times.) The attempted rape scene itself was fictionalized; Billy never claimed in the book to have suffered any sexual violence at the hands of either his Turkish guards, wardens, or fellow inmates, but engaged in consensual homosexual activity while he was in prison. The film depicts Hayes gently rejecting the advances of a fellow prisoner (Erich the Swede).

Giorgio Moroder.

There were than minor changes from the book.
Billy escaped on a boat from an open prison. He did not kill the brutal head guard and walk out in his uniform.
There was me thinking he swam (but it was some time ago I read the book).Think I did mention he was transferred to an island prison.As I mentioned ,presumably director Alan Parker presumably made these changes to cut production costs (Think this was mentioned in an extra on the DVD which I have upstairs).I take it you agree that Billy waited for some time before he could cross the border? Don't think these changes add up to your charge that the film wasn't "very true" to the book.But hey ho social media these days (including SZ) is all about opinions ,isn't it? :Smile:

Happy to admit I was wrong about the music btw.Time plays a lot of tricks on the memory.Must have been thinking about Blade Runner I suppose.

Silver screen this week was Aftersun. A film by Charlotte Wells who has a plethora of degrees and an Oscar nomination for actor Paul Mescal
The theme is that it it is a film shot by dad (Mescal) when taking his daughter aged 11 on holiday to Turkey. Hence the camera work is appalling and the diamond light of Turkey is made to look like a dreary day in Scotland filmed through tights. It has all the finesse and pretentiousness of a film studies student's end of term project. Bloody awful. Do not waste your money watching this utter tripe. Needless to say the critics loved it which says a lot about the world we live in.
I was going to give it 1 out of 10 but decided to be kind. 0 out of 10 for this drivel. A waste of an hour and a half that you will never get back

Silver screen this week was Aftersun. A film by Charlotte Wells who has a plethora of degrees and an Oscar nomination for actor Paul Mescal
The theme is that it it is a film shot by dad (Mescal) when taking his daughter aged 11 on holiday to Turkey. Hence the camera work is appalling and the diamond light of Turkey is made to look like a dreary day in Scotland filmed through tights. It has all the finesse and pretentiousness of a film studies student's end of term project. Bloody awful. Do not waste your money watching this utter tripe. Needless to say the critics loved it which says a lot about the world we live in.
I was going to give it 1 out of 10 but decided to be kind. 0 out of 10 for this drivel. A waste of an hour and a half that you will never get back

We didn't like the film either.As you say it was highly rated by the critics.Dunno why either.

Yesterday’s Enemy (on Film4 yesterday) good if somewhat bleak WW2 film set in Burma. Strong performance from Stanley Baker.

Yesterday’s Enemy (on Film4 yesterday) good if somewhat bleak WW2 film set in Burma. Strong performance from Stanley Baker.
I used to work with two guys who were POW's in Burma during WWII. The stories they told were nothing but bleak. I'm grateful that neither me or my kids will never have go through anything remotely like what they endured.

Can imagine that, must have been dreadful for them.
Being filmed in b+w added to the grim hopelessness of their situation. Good acting and well worth a watch imo.

Can imagine that, must have been dreadful for them.
Being filmed in b+w added to the grim hopelessness of their situation. Good acting and well worth a watch imo.

Yeah had two Uncles in Burma in WW2, both gunners. One suffered from PTSD his entire life and was in & out of mental homes, the other breaking off his engagement to take care of him. They lived 3 doors away from us in Romford and my mum cooked & cleaned for them everyday.

Back