• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Films you've watched recently.

Super Mario Brothers.

Really enjoyed it, took the kids today. Good blend of classic Mario, adult humour and good fun movie. A lot better than the attempt from Sega with Sonic.

From 1953 (the creature is far better than Godzilla-1954 Japan)
TheBeastFrom20KFathoms300.jpg

This typical "drive-in" flick of the late 50s is actually fairly complicated that gets very interesting in the last 45 minutes.
"The Alligator People"
71bPiAQbmDL._AC_SY445_.jpg

The Mother.
J Lo plays an ex US Special Forces badass, kills loads of mercenaries etc.

5/10 and background watchable for cinematography but very silly

The Mother.
J Lo plays an ex US Special Forces badass, kills loads of mercenaries etc.

5/10 and background watchable for cinematography but very silly
A review from Imdb:
Spoiler alert: This movie is a joke

Jennifer Lopez and her vanity career are laughable at this point. This is such a stupid movie, I don't even think it deserves a review. "The Mother" is a rip off of so many things, they're too numerous to mention. In fact, it would be a much shorter list to talk about the things in this movie that are original and interesting. It's hackneyed, recycled, regurgitated, tripe.

Goodfellas (1990) - seen it (so) many times but I didn't realise how much of it was actually based on real events e.g. the "shinebox" taunting, the Spider character etc.
It's a brilliant film.One of the very best.Joe Pecci plays mob men the best he was bought up around them apparently.His character in Goodfellas was much younger and bigger built in real life.His death was apparently much more violent in real life and John Gotti was allegedly involved as Billy Batts was his old mate

Last edited:
Saw Almodóvar's Strange Way of Life earlier.Really quite good for a quirky, gay cowboy short in English Natahan Hawke was excellent.Haven't read much about it but I'd guess it was a cowboy flic that Pedro had wanted to make for some time.Liked the nod to the Wild Bunch in one scene.

Last edited:
The cinema (The Curzon Bloomsbury) was pretty much full and I ended up in the front row sadly.
Good.........
1685780656517.jpeg

I went to the cinema today and I could not agree more with this review.

Hitchcock's masterpiece? Never
valleyjohn2 March 2011
In a year when there has been some odd films , films that are not easy to explain ( Shutter Island , Black Swan , Inception etc..) , i thought i was on safe ground watching a good old

fashioned Alfred Hitchcock thriller but little did i know this is just as unexplainable as any of those films i have named . Vertigo is sometimes called " Hitchcock's masterpiece" but i don't see it. This is a long ponderous movie that makes very little sense and treats the viewer with

contempt. Jimmy Stewart is watchable but his character is not very believable and the relationship with Kim Novak is confusing and annoying. I much prefer Rear Window or Psycho to this movie and to be perfectly honest i couldn't wait for it to finish.

il_300x300.1940299040_2vmz.jpg

I went to the cinema today and I could not agree more with this review.

Hitchcock's masterpiece? Never
valleyjohn2 March 2011
In a year when there has been some odd films , films that are not easy to explain ( Shutter Island , Black Swan , Inception etc..) , i thought i was on safe ground watching a good old

fashioned Alfred Hitchcock thriller but little did i know this is just as unexplainable as any of those films i have named . Vertigo is sometimes called " Hitchcock's masterpiece" but i don't see it. This is a long ponderous movie that makes very little sense and treats the viewer with

contempt. Jimmy Stewart is watchable but his character is not very believable and the relationship with Kim Novak is confusing and annoying. I much prefer Rear Window or Psycho to this movie and to be perfectly honest i couldn't wait for it to finish.

il_300x300.1940299040_2vmz.jpg
Ah well: if you can’t like Vertigo you don’t deserve good cinema. It is perfection:

Ah well: if you can’t like Vertigo you don’t deserve good cinema. It is perfection:
What cinema is all about. A film to watch over and over again. Yes, a totally implausible plot with a giveaway two thirds of the way through and a dislikeable central character in Scotty but so many memorable visual images to relish and so much unexplained. Was it all a dream? In the opening sequence he is left hanging from a gutter and we never see him rescued.

Back