• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Former Southend United skipper Chris Barker dies aged 39

Chris Phillips is in the early stages of looking into organising a charity football match so let's give him a little time and then, a lot of support in this.

My favourite memories of Chris are away from the football ground though - and in a different sport altogether, at the SUFC v SOSEMT annual pre-season cricket match, where he shone through as a talented batsman and wicket keeper. Smiling and laughing while having fun.

Some absolutely amazing tributes to Chris, including this one from Rhys Evans, shows just how close that team under Luggy were:

Desperately sad news, my thoughts are with his family.
If only we had someone with his attitude to defending now.

When are the oiks in power going to start properly funding mental health in this country? How many more people are going to go through the hell that is mental health before this wealthy country of ours does something ?

RIP Chris

This coming weekend's football awareness campaign regarding mental health issues at the FA Cup games is a timely reminder to us all as we hear the dreadful news that Chris Barker, just 39, has been found dead at his home in Cardiff.

Chris played 142 times for Southend and captained the club in the JPT final against Crewe Alexandra at Wembley. Chris was also player of the year for the 2010/11 season.

I'm sure we speak for all fans when we say - Our thoughts are with his family and friends at this terrible time.

Chris is pictured below receiving the Trust's player of the year award for the 2010/11 season.

CB1_250.jpg

You did indeed sir and thank you.

You can of course as the gentleman above has just done, pay by card in the donate button.

I somehow missed adding 'CB' to my (card) donation - please can you direct my £5 to the right fund?

Thanks.

The testimonies from friends, family, ex players and fans from various clubs across the country have really been eye opening. What a human this bloke was. Seemed to help absolutely everyone he's ever crossed paths with who needed it

Just over the £100 mark in the collection so far for CB,

Thank you all so much and we will do what is right by his family x

I have just spoken with Rhys at the club, I wasn't aware he was so close to CB until recently, but he will be speaking to the family and advising us the best road to take.

I would like to see the return of the Southend v Colchester Old Boys match which worked so well last May. This time the proceeds could go to Chris Barker's family. Ideally many of the players on show would be those who played alongside Chris at both clubs. In a few months time his family may even want to attend such an occasion.

SOUTHEND United will be paying tribute to their former skipper Chris Barker before Saturday’s clash with Tranmere Rovers at Roots Hall.

More...

Chris Barker 23.png

Southend United Football Club can announce plans to pay tribute to former captain Chris Barker at Saturday’s game against Tranmere Rovers.

Barker, who spent three seasons at Roots Hall after joining in 2010 and made 142 appearances, sadly passed away last week at the age of just 39.

Before the kick-off this weekend (Southend United v Tranmere Rovers) there will be a minute’s silence to remember the 2010/11 Player of the Year and we are also calling on supporters to clap in the 39th minute of the game.

The matchday programme for the game will be dedicated to Chris, with a special front cover design along with a tribute inside from former teammates. And supporters who buy the programme will also be donating to a worthy cause by purchasing one.

With the support from our printers, Ignition Sports Media, we are delighted to announce that 50p from every copy sold this weekend will be donated to Mind Charity, which is also the EFL’s Charity Partner.

Mind provide advice and support to empower anyone experiencing a mental health problem. For more about how they can help, click here.

The Football Club would like to reiterate that our thoughts and condolences are with the Barker family, friends, former teammates and colleagues at this difficult time.

Full Story

Our collection has amounted to £130 so far towards whatever the Barker family choose. I am awaiting to hear back ATM as to what we do.

FORMER Southend United stars Ryan Cresswell and Ryan Leonard will both be back at Roots Hall tomorrow for Blues’ pre-match tribute to Chris Barker.

More...

SOUTHEND United paid tribute to their former captain Chris Barker before and during Saturday's 0-0 draw with Tranmere Rovers.

More...

Full marks to everyone for their efforts in remembering Barks today. Fitting tribute.

I have never been in a ground for a minute's silence that has been so beautifully observed - fitting, respectful. And so desperately sad for your loss.

Back