• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Game of thrones -season 8

You can really immerse yourself in GOT too as George RR Martin has built a world with in depth history.

Absolutely.

I’d never read the books, and didn’t know anything other than the main story (which I got into, around S4 time, and binge-watched the first 3 seasons in a week or so)

The amount of work that has gone into creating GRRM’s World is staggering, and probably the most in-depth story I’ve ever seen, of any show/film/book in my life.

Got up early to watch before work to avoid spoilers. Epic as expected, don't think that's a spoiler
Well that didn’t disappoint! Epic indeed and what a joy to find myself sitting there for ten minutes after it finished in a state of heightened emotion.

No spoilers until it’s aired this evening.

Well that didn’t disappoint! Epic indeed and what a joy to find myself sitting there for ten minutes after it finished in a state of heightened emotion.

No spoilers until it’s aired this evening.

Hard when you are dying to talk about it, given all our "theories" earlier in the thread haha. But wouldn't want to spoil it for anyone.

Hardcore fans, I like it :Smile:

I'm going to take off Monday 20th so I can watch the finale.

Ok, I’ve got to get this off my chest, and I’m probably going to be in the minority here, but personally I didn’t like it.

I’ll explain why, but first let me say what I did like.

The Dothraki and their flaming swords were superb. From the way the blades ignited, to their charge, to their inevitably slow extinguishing, that scene was really well shot.

The Unsullied moving together in unison, was also very cool.

Arya creeping around Winterfell, dodging the dead, was more suspenseful than most modern day horror films.

The Night King resurrecting the dead was atmospheric and sublime. It genuinely gave you that feeling, that this was a battle against a never ending enemy, and there really was no way of winning.

Now for the bad parts....

Anyone have any night vision goggles I could borrow? That was hard to keep up with, at times.
I said I liked the part with the Dothraki, and I did. But I can’t believe they’ve fallen so easily. Throughout the programme, the Dothraki have been a violent, vicious and unforgiving bunch, who have been feared throughout Westeros. They way they cut through the Lannister armies in the previous season, really marked their arrival & it seemed like what Robert Baratheon had said about them, was fairly accurate. Yet they fell within seconds. I get it, it’s to advance Dany’s upcoming storyline, but to me it was just lazy writing.

This show has produced some excellent battle scenes over the years. Blackwater, Hardhome, Beyond The Wall & of course, The B@stards, instantly spring to mind. Some of those scenes were spectacular. Think about the the gritty realism, from BOTB, where Jon is being trampled. That was probably the first scene I’d witnessed on any TV show, or film, since Saving Private Ryan, where you could actually feel the realism and intensity of the scene.
But this one, Battle Of Winterfell, had none of that. The poor mix of CGI, darkness & fast/shaky camerawork, really made it difficult to keep up with all that was going on, and in-doing-so, lost the intensity that it had not only promised, but thoroughly deserved.

The budget for that battle was huge, and the time taken to make it was extensive, so expectation levels were sky high. IMO, it didn’t reach those expectations.

In the annuls of history, the supposed “Long Night”, the previous one, lasted for generations. People lived & died, all during this one Great War. But this modern day mob managed to knock it out in the course of an evening? For two years, we’ve been teased & promised this great battle, the one to end all battles, against the most fearsome army the Seven Kingdoms has ever known. And they crash it out, all in time for breakfast? Right.

And I’ve saved my absolute worst for last. The Night King. What a let down.

For the best part of 5 years, we’ve seen and heard about this all-powerful, all-encompassing, all-commanding being, who is meant to be pretty much indestructible. He was billed as the ultimate super-villain, made from pure magic. The dude literally took a fire shower, from the biggest dragon Westeros had seen in thousands of years, and just stood their grinning.

And a little girl with a small knife whacked him? Get the **** outta here with that ****.
It’s so anti-climactic. We didn’t see him have one square go. Not a single one-on-one row with anyone. They’d been teasing a great showdown between him & John for years, ever since Hardhome In fact. The whole story had been building towards that one specific showdown. That was the ultimate payoff, seeing them two have it out, possibly Jon being recognised at Azor Ahai. But they substituted that in favour of shock effect? Poor, lazy writing IMO.

To sum up, despite having all the time & money in the world to produce his episode, it felt rushed & lazy on the whole. Some excellent and stunning scenes, marred by some really poor writing & the poor execution/production of other scenes.

Firstly, the battle scenes were murky, agreed but it's was a battle in the middle of the night, in winter. It was a fairly close to being realistic as it can be without being there and wetting yourself.

Dothraki getting wiped out - I guess it was a precursor of what was to come. Even the most feared of warriors were easy meat for the undead.

Arya a little girl? I hate to break it to you, but she's one of the Faceless and a warrior extreme these days. The death of the NK by Arya was obviously the way GRRM wrote it to go down, as the clues from the Red Woman were written by him, not to mention the dagger that did for him was given to Arya by Bran (which was the one used to try and assassinate him back in the first series). And the NK withstanding fire - easy, he's Targareyn.

I have to say, it's a bit of a shame that all the main players came through unscathed, but then again I guess we're now back to the battle of the Iron Throne rather than the undead.......or are we?

In the annuls of history, the supposed “Long Night”, the previous one, lasted for generations. People lived & died, all during this one Great War. But this modern day mob managed to knock it out in the course of an evening? For two years, we’ve been teased & promised this great battle, the one to end all battles, against the most fearsome army the Seven Kingdoms has ever known. And they crash it out, all in time for breakfast? Right.

This is something I have lots of questions on. As we saw in the space of one night the army of the dead grew significantly so you’d imagine that a war over generations would see the dead grow and engulf Westeros, how could this be reversed and the night king still be alive to fight another day? If the dead had such an advantage surely the only way to stop them would be like what happened this time around, the night king being taken out? So with that in mind, does the night king die? Will there be perpetual “summer” now? Or is it just the physical manifestation of the night king that is dead and he will now be beyond the wall gaining his strength and army over generations waiting for another shot? How would that tie in with the creation of the night king by the children of the forest? Any ideas? Anyone?

Firstly, the battle scenes were murky, agreed but it's was a battle in the middle of the night, in winter. It was a fairly close to being realistic as it can be without being there and wetting yourself.

Or, was it a convenient way for the producers to avoid blowing their entire budget on clear & concise fighting.

How any of them could have rewatched it, once all the editing was done and believed it was as epic as they’d promised it would be, is beyond me.

I can understand the argument for wanting to make it realistic, but how can it be, if the audience can’t make out what the **** is going on?

Dothraki getting wiped out - I guess it was a precursor of what was to come. Even the most feared of warriors were easy meat for the undead.

I would buy that, but they didn’t stay consistent with that. Sam Tarley springs to mind. The geezer couldn’t fight his way out of a peper bag, but he’s fending off & slaughtering wights left, right & centre.

Or Jon being surrounded by the recently resurrected dead, as the Night King sauntered off, should have met an assured death. But the writing was inconsistent.

Arya a little girl? I hate to break it to you, but she's one of the Faceless and a warrior extreme these days. The death of the NK by Arya was obviously the way GRRM wrote it to go down, as the clues from the Red Woman were written by him, not to mention the dagger that did for him was given to Arya by Bran (which was the one used to try and assassinate him back in the first series). And the NK

As good as an assassin she may be, (FWIW I’m not doubting that) this was The Night King. The ultimate villain, who was borne out of magic. By that token, it should have taken something magical to **** him up.

His generals, & his army are fair game to be wiped out by dragon glass, or Valyrian steel. But not him. I wanted something more substantial than that. He deserved something more complex & thought out. He deserved the mythical Lightbringer.

That would have been fitting for a character of his importance. This just feels like a cheap parlour trick.

Benoiff and Weiss said they’d had the idea for Arya to kill the NK for the past three years/seasons. Long after the red woman’s prophecy, and the original introduction of that dagger. IMO, They’ve just seen some loose ends, and crudely mashed them together to form a threadbare connection.

I’ll be surprised if GRRM writes the story similar in his book. Following on from my above point, B&W said they wanted to go in a different direction, from what was widely expected to go down (I.e. Jon being Azor Ahai)

withstanding fire - easy, he's Targareyn.

If they’d taken time to explore & explain that part, then I’d have said fair enough. But they didn’t even have a crack at it. Nor did they explain why Bran was so important to the NK, and what his overall motivation has been, this entire time.

Too many loose ends, which is why it was lazily written, and felt rushed.

Back