• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Hamstel Road - "The Greatest Road Ever Built"

What about Southchurch Rd, between Belle Vue Rd and Chase Rd, umpteen takeaways all next to each other and an off licence on the other side of the road.
Lived in Windermere Rd for 8 years, used all those emporiums many times!

I grew up down Southchurch Road, it has always been a Mecca for take away food. Sunus was I believe the first Indian in Southend, Man Fung (George's) probably the first Chinese and the Porta Via (now the Kingfisher) was famed for it's spare ribs. No wonder I grew up to be such a fat *******.

I can't believe they managed to cram even more crap food emporiums down there, surely they can't all make money!

Man Fung is the nuts!

Bournes Green park rules ( or if not, the little one behind Southchurch library ).

Lived in Hamstel rd for approx 10 years, went to Hamstel juniors and plyed my trade for Trinity FC and Rochford Rangers.

Great memories of the entire area.

Bournes Green park rules ( or if not, the little one behind Southchurch library ).

Lived in Hamstel rd for approx 10 years, went to Hamstel juniors and plyed my trade for Trinity FC and Rochford Rangers.

Great memories of the entire area.

don't know if you did but we called it the Steamroller park on account of the steamroller shaped climbing thingy-majik

that was the park of choice for us, although sometimes getting your ball back from a rather miffed allotment owner could be tricky!

Dont remember what we called it, but i remember the climbing frame you speak of. We used to congregate there on Tues and Thurs nights after attending Lifstan Boys club (opposite).

Dont remember what we called it, but i remember the climbing frame you speak of. We used to congregate there on Tues and Thurs nights after attending Lifstan Boys club (opposite).
Seems like just yesterday Mr Brown. Actually no, it seems like bloody ages ago!

I live in South Avenue and use both Hamstel and Southchurch Road a lot.

Can't beat Southchurch.

Seems like just yesterday Mr Brown. Actually no, it seems like bloody ages ago!

Longer than either of us would care to remember i think, but what a road and great memories of things like my first (legal) pint in The Rusty Bucket/Golden Goblet/Invisible Man and my first beating from Cecil Jones pupils for Attending Thorpe Bay and living in "their" catchment area !! :punch:

You could also get crack cocain and any variety of other drugs at one of the flats above the car dealers, or at least that was the case when I last had a stake out there - but was a few years ago and maybe its changed for the better ?

Mind you Chadwicks, the butcher does some great flavoured chicken thighs for bar b cue's ... I am a thigh man myself and he could tell you a few stories about the local scene that would make your hair stand on end.

Last edited:
don't know if you did but we called it the Steamroller park on account of the steamroller shaped climbing thingy-majik

that was the park of choice for us, although sometimes getting your ball back from a rather miffed allotment owner could be tricky!

know the park well, my nan lived in Dalmatia

My laddo and I were wandering out of the Kingfisher chip shop near the White Horse the other night and took a stroll down Hamstel Road to get home. He became quite animated when he noted that included by the roadside was a couple of Chinese take-aways, a kebab shop, a corner shop, an off-licence, Sweet Heaven, a chippy, and a newsagent all within about 200 yards of each other. At one end of the road is the White Horse and at the other end is a McDonalds and Garons Park. He declared Hamstel Road "the greatest road ever built."

I can see his point as the length of the road can't even be a mile yet you have everything you would ever need in one small street - remember, it also has a chemist, butcher and car dealer. Can any other road in Southend match this in such a short distance?

I am going to challenge this - although it is a much longer road, I think Eastwood / Rayleigh Road is far better.

Reasons
Hong Kong House, Yu's, Wah's Garden, the one on rochford corner, the one near rayleigh town centre, the indians near green baize, green baize, circle k, the silver jubilee and oakwood, the offy at the oakwood, visiting dave at the bp (who is a southend supporter), the newspaper shop at connaught road, hong kong house, the convenience shop near kent elms that serves under age fags (allegedly), not one, not two, but Three petrol garages, hong kong house, unwins, queens chippy, bike shop where i found 75 quid, video shop near progress road which has street fighter 2, hsbc and natwest, the harvester, hong kong house.

Tell your son to beat that!

ps oakwood park, eastwood park, and the other park in eastwood

and a sign that allows you to step from rayleigh to southend

Surely other worthy contenders include Leigh Broadway, Ness Road, Gilman Drive (now saxon gardens)

And if you crossed Lifstans Way you had Southend Tech footie pitches, then Southend High School for girls playing pitches and then Thopre Bay High School playing fields. Most of my summer holidays were spent playing football and cricket over there.
As for Soutchurch Road having Supervideo and Blockbusters within 200 yards of each other during the hight of the video era was great.

My Uncle owned and ran one of the butcher's shops down there for while and I've also got fond memories of Hamstel Video too. Never really thought about it before but when you do it is a cracking road!

Back