• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Hello Everyone,

My name is Nick I run the Southend Timeline website, I admit I am not a great follower of Football but always look out for the Southend result, until recently I used to feature the fixture list and results on the website but a change in FA regulations forced me to discontinue that service.

My brother has had a season ticket for many many years and is somewhere in the East stand, I remember the days of standing in the North bank, just being tall enough to see over the wall at the front!

Then there was the open toilets of the West Stand just three walls to wee against and no roof over the top, just how long ago was that.

I recently added a brief history of the Greyhound Stadium to the website which you might find interesting: http://www.southendtimeline.com/southendgreyhoundtrack.htm

I hope to do features on the Kursaal Stadium and Roots Hall as well, so might be asking you guys for a bit of help with details and little stories about them... Not that you are older enough to remember the Kursaal Stadium!

Another feature is the Community Archive it is there for you to share your stories and memories not just of the Blues but of Southend as a whole, so please pop in and take a look.

Nick

Nice one, Nick ... lots of threads on here about the old days and 'Dad Of Dave The Shrimper' has written three books on Blues' history too. Look forward to having a look at your link soon.

Hi Nick,You,ll get some nostalgia here without a doubt! look forward to taking a look at your site later as reminiscing aint what it used to be
winking.gif
Out of interest why are you not allowed to publish a fixture list and results as this is readily available, I guess it,s some form of copyright but seem,s a little silly, forgive me if it's obvious

Welcome, we've certainly had some yesteryear type threads, sadly, canvey shrimper, who would doubtless have enjoyed seeing your site isn't here any more to chip in with his reminiscences.

Hi Nick and welcome to the Zone here's a couple of snippetts on the Stadium:

PROPOSED NEW STADIUM FOR SOUTHEND
Plans have been prepared for the construction of a Stadium at Southend and shortly a prospectus will be issued by the company which is being formed to finance the project. The estimated cost is between £30,000 and £40,000. The site of the proposed stadium is the Milton Hall brickfields adjoining Sutton Road, Maldon Road and the L.& N. E. Railway and it is claimed to be within half a mile of the centre of the town. There will be several entrances including one from Maldon Road and another from Sutton Road. It is the intention of the promoters to construct a football ground, a dog racing track and speedway with covered accommodation for 8,000 people. Plans are being submitted.
From the Southend Standard 14th April 1932

SOUTHEND STADIUM - Racing at Easter.
When details of the construction of the Southend Stadium on the site of the old Milton Hall brickfields were first exclusively published in the Southend Standard Mr. W. J. Cearns the managing director, stated that racing would start next Easter. The promise is to be fulfilled and the date of the opening of the Stadium for greyhound racing has been fixed for Easter Saturday April 15th. The club premises have now been completed and work of glazing the grandstand is in progress. This week also the turfing of the track has commenced and the pipes are being laid for the running of the electric hare which will be of the most up-to-date variety. The track will be suitable for any races from 300 yards to 750 yards and such are the foundations and gradient that it is expected to be the fastest greyhound track in the country. It will be certainly much faster than Wimbledon which is run so well by the same syndicate. With some of the fastest greyhounds in training for the Southend track, it is fully expected that some world records for greyhounds will be set up here. The track has been recognised by the Greyhound Racing Association and officials of that body have already inspected it.
From the Southend Standard 23rd February 1933

CARNIVAL’S GRAND CONCLUSION
Southend Hospital carnival was brought to a conclusion on Sunday with the usual drumhead service in Chalkwell Park and later the actual festivities were concluded on Saturday with a Grande Finale at the Southend Stadium. Throughout the week the weather had been outstanding and there was not a drop of rain to mar any event. The finale, one of the high spots of the whole week attracted an attendance of nearly 16,000 people. The standing capacity of the Stadium is for 30,000 people but on this occasion nearly everyone was seated, this halving the accommodation. Those present were early put on good terms by the community singing while instructions were easily conveyed to the spectators by means of loud speakers. The most impressive scene of all was the singing of “Abide with me”. Then with all the lights out, Big Ben was heard to sound midnight, to the accompaniment of the Last Post” by the massed trumpeters, after which the crowd slowly melted away.
From the Southend Standard 31st August 1933

It was the success of the carnival at the stadium and 16,000 present which I beleive convinced the board of Southend United to move from the Kursaal to the Stadium. It was a basic mistake (which is still being made today) that football crowds want to be close to the pitch and not from behind a race track.

Nick, In my three books I have about 900,000 words not just about football but about the town and district also, pm either on SZ or Sarfend forums if you want anything.

DoDtS

Back