• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I'm losing faith in Kevin Bond. Are you?

I'm losing faith in Kevin Bond - Are you?

• Total voters
I think players should stop being so sensitive all the time. Theyre paid to do a job.

It’s fine lines though.

FWIW, I totally agree with you, and most modern day footballers could all do with a dose of reality from time-to-time.

However, if we have to play to their strengths on the pitch, to get the best out of them, why should it be any different off of it?

If it’s detrimental to “belittle” them in public, why do it? Nobody benefits in that scenario.

I think players should stop being so sensitive all the time. Theyre paid to do a job.

I agree they have too much power these days as they’ll just down tools a la Leicester or Chelsea. It’s about the reaction and man management from Bond now. Think his tactics have been wrong but time will tell if he can motivate better performances in the next few weeks. In regards to his like-ability, I agree it’s irrelevant to the job really. I just wasn’t impressed by his behaviour poor mainly before than the words after. Found it rude to Nick Alliker and unnecessary to be honest.

Im very confident Bond will succeed. He probably has more nouse and experience than any Manager we have employed.
In 2018 I watched us hammer Blackburn at the start of the season. We couldnt believe they were Championship material Nor could there fans as they continued to lose and his head was called for, Result..............Promotion !! as they got their act together and very capable players started to perform consistently,
I expect with the stronger squad we have a top half finish. I see some good signs in the recent performances over past years. I dont mind Bond trying to play decent Football from the back and retaining possession, this squad is capable of it, Blackburn played the same way.
relax and enjoy, its just going to get better and I look forward to reviewing our positives in December.
Bond did seem a bit subdued, compared to the noise and enthusiasm he showed at Gillingham which I did find a bit odd though.

Do I want him sacked already? No.

Am I concerned with our start, the fact we started with a formation Saturday that we didn't once play throughout preseason, seemed to have abandoned the 433 from preseason, the fact he then publicly criticised two of our better players who are strikers in a 1-3 loss? Yes.

Still plenty of time, we are two games in.

Listening back to KB's interview, he says it's not about systems, it's about players. On the face of it, this is fair enough. But he also says the problem is long standing, an inability to keep clean sheets that goes back to last season. Again, true. However, the players at the back and in defensive midfield are, in the main, new. They are KB signings: Ralph, Shaughnessy, Ridgewell, Milligan. Lennon didn't play last season and even Oxley missed a large part of the season. These players can't be associated with last season's poor defensive showing. So, it's not really a continuation of anything. The problem--if indeed there is one-- is with either KB's players or KB's systems (take your pick depending on what you think is more important). Hopefully though, it's just a bedding down period for the new players/ systems and things will quickly improve. But, after the previous two seasons you really can't blame fans for fearing the worst.

Listening back to KB's interview, he says it's not about systems, it's about players. On the face of it, this is fair enough. But he also says the problem is long standing, an inability to keep clean sheets that goes back to last season. Again, true. However, the players at the back and in defensive midfield are, in the main, new. They are KB signings: Ralph, Shaughnessy, Ridgewell, Milligan. Lennon didn't play last season and even Oxley missed a large part of the season. These players can't be associated with last season's poor defensive showing. So, it's not really a continuation of anything. The problem--if indeed there is one-- is with either KB's players or KB's systems (take your pick depending on what you think is more important). Hopefully though, it's just a bedding down period for the new players/ systems and things will quickly improve. But, after the previous two seasons you really can't blame fans for fearing the worst.

This is too sensible for you. I expect a retraction immediately.

A poll to get rid of the manager after just 2 games in. Lucky you didnt dispence with him after 2 games last season.

I think KB should take a look at Blackpool, and think that's where we want to be, Big, quick and clued up.

They will finish further up the table than we will, and considering all the turmoil their club has been through, look a decent outfit, and probable promotion contenders

In private is fine. Few people react well to being called out in public. If Bond wants them behind him this isn't the way to do it

I'll reserve judgement on this until we've seen the reaction from Cox and Humphrys.

And by reaction I mean Tuesday night not what their agents told them to say on twitter.
If he knows his players and they genuinely needed a public kick-up the backside then we'll see a big reaction Tuesday from those two and Bond will then congratulate them for their performances.

If he drops them rather than gives them a chance to redeem themselves then it will appear odd. It's something though that can only be done sparingly and so to (have to?) do it this early in the season seems troublesome.

I also wonder if it's the best way to get the best out of younger players like Humprhys. It's a rather old school method. Not every player is alike but the younger generation tend to react better to positive encouragement than a bollocking. One of my concerns about employing an older manager is if they can relate to younger players. Bond will be a similar age to Humprhys' grandfather. Some older managers are great at this, others find it hard to bridge the generations and fill their side with older players. It's important that whoever manages us can work with our youngsters and won't just drop the likes of Bwomono, Bishop, Lennon, Humprhys, Hutchinson etc at the first sign of adversity.

Good post mate, but I just wanted to pick up on the point in bold, and challenge it slightly.

That first 45 minutes on Saturday was the worst half of football I’ve seen at Roots Hall, for over 15 years - and that includes relegation seasons.

I believe in any other season, the start we’ve made so far, wouldn’t have necessarily been reason to panic. We would have accepted that it’s a new manager (sort of), a new set of players & everything needs time to bed in.

However, coming off the back of that debacle last season, a run of underwhelming performances and shipping goals in pre-season, has continued into our first two League games.

As a result, some people are - rightly - concerned.

Now, I don’t necessarily think it’s panic stations just yet, but I understand the precarious situation we’re in.

So I’ll remain supportive, and all I ask in return, is that Bond & those players who pull on the shirt, give me something to remain supportive of.

I wasn't talking about the post match reaction. I expect that, certainly on here anyway.

Museshrimper has answered with some excellent points for me anyway. I was also in the greens and there was moany/muted atmosphere even before the first goal. Not sure how any change in formation would have stooped that goal......

Last week was the quietest effort possible for 1000 away fans. Yes we were under a bit of pressure first half but surely that's the time to get behind your players. Not sit and sulk because you are collectively upset because its Theo and not Humphrys.

If the players have to move on from last season and be positive, it must surely be the same for fans as well?

The real sad thing is there will be some who want us to lose at Lincoln next week.....They will be the first to say told you so.

I'll reserve judgement on this until we've seen the reaction from Cox and Humphrys.

If he drops them rather than gives them a chance to redeem themselves then it will appear odd. It's something though that can only be done sparingly and so to (have to?) do it this early in the season seems troublesome.

I also wonder if it's the best way to get the best out of younger players like Humprhys. It's a rather old school method. Not every player is alike but the younger generation tend to react better to positive encouragement than a bollocking. One of my concerns about employing an older manager is if they can relate to younger players. Bond will be a similar age to Humprhys' grandfather. Some older managers are great at this, others find it hard to bridge the generations and fill their side with older players. It's important that whoever manages us can work with our youngsters and won't just drop the likes of Bwomono, Bishop, Lennon, Humprhys, Hutchinson etc at the first sign of adversity.

Surely It would be more odd to play two, recovering from serious injury, strikers in a meaningless cup competition.

In fact if he makes them play I would see that as more of a public punishment than some silly radio interview that neither player will be bothered about in the slightest.

Last edited:
We do need to give Bond more time , but also he does need to rethink some of his bizarre decisions.
Firstly , reading out the team randomly just makes him look stupid. I can understand him not wanting to give the opposition clues on his formation , so he could read them out as a 4 4 2 instead of a 3 5 2 for example, to throw them off , but to read out what was it Milligan , Cox , Elvis etcetc is just horrible.

2ndly , Playing a diamond of centre backs at home is just plainly ridiculous. Milligan is quality but to have 3 behind him all getting in each others way is madness. Especially when the full backs are playing way too deep to have any options or outballs for the defenders to ping it to.

3rdly . Dont bang on about our home form from last season. We only had 4 players who started both our last home games so to compare a previous bad record as an excuse is pathetic. Talking in great depth about the 13 home defeats + no clean sheets from last season does no one any good. New season , new team , move on. Be positive.

4thly , Keep it simple. It appeared our players didnt understand our formation , or what positions we were meant to be attempting. Blackpool were average + didnt have anything more than good organisation.

Lastly , His #1 priority before the window shuts is to replace Hopper with a like for like. We have such an unbalanced squad of 8 centre backs , 7 strikers - none of whom can hold the ball up when Hopper is injured ( as he will be for majority of the season again ) Without this focal point the ball comes straight back time after time. Humphries might be a lump but he needs to be playing alongside a big man to get the best out of him.

2 games in is far too early to call for Bond's head .... but i am genuinely worried that we are a million miles away from where we should be as a team.

He should be back in 6-8 weeks.

I agree they have too much power these days as they’ll just down tools a la Leicester or Chelsea. It’s about the reaction and man management from Bond now. Think his tactics have been wrong but time will tell if he can motivate better performances in the next few weeks. In regards to his like-ability, I agree it’s irrelevant to the job really. I just wasn’t impressed by his behaviour poor mainly before than the words after. Found it rude to Nick Alliker and unnecessary to be honest.

It was almost childish the way he tried to fend off the questions. I understand a manager does not want to give too much away to the opposition prior to a game but anyone, including Alliker, should have known the way the team was being set up just by looking at the team sheet. It was far from rocket science. The questioning was pointless and the answers, or lack of, were churlish.

I wasn't talking about the post match reaction. I expect that, certainly on here anyway.

Museshrimper has answered with some excellent points for me anyway. I was also in the greens and there was moany/muted atmosphere even before the first goal. Not sure how any change in formation would have stooped that goal......

Last week was the quietest effort possible for 1000 away fans. Yes we were under a bit of pressure first half but surely that's the time to get behind your players. Not sit and sulk because you are collectively upset because its Theo and not Humphrys.

If the players have to move on from last season and be positive, it must surely be the same for fans as well?

The real sad thing is there will be some who want us to lose at Lincoln next week.....They will be the first to say told you so.

I think a lot of us have gone into this season a bit pessimistic tbh. And as I said, I think that stems from a mixture of an underwhelming pre-season, off the back of last years life & death season. Even petty things, like MTB’s day and the new kits, have failed to galvanise the fans and get them pumped up for this supposed fresh start of a new season.

There is this air of inevitability surrounding the club right now.

On any given match day, I would usually step inside Roots Hall, with quiet optimism & (delusional) ideas that just for a change, we might actually play like world beaters & win the game by a cricket score. (Of course, that’s normally put to bed relatively quickly).

I’ve got to admit, on Saturday, I didn’t. I went in there not only believing that we were probably not going to get anything from the game, but the entire spectacle had horror show written all over it. After just 12 minutes, my worst fears became reality. And sadly, most games seem to feel the same lately. For example, can anyone truly see us getting anything from Lincoln next week?

Now don’t get me wrong, there’s been plenty of times over the years where I’ve expected us to get FA out of a game, and I very rarely expect Blues to win, but this feels different atm. It feels like we’ve been defeated before a ball has been kicked. It’s as if we’re also-rans. Like we’re just here to make up the numbers. It’s never been like that before and I include our relegation seasons in that.

The only positive we’ve had really, is we’ve made some half decent signings (on paper at least).

Sadly, until the performances & results start to pick up, I think this lingering doom cloud will hang over us indefinitely

I do have a feeling of deja vu from the really bad old days when we were floundering in the bottom division. It is early days and I know we just need to string a few results together to put things right but I can't help feeling a bit down and not very optimistic. I hope and pray we turn this round. I can understand the pessimists feelings. COYBB

And by reaction I mean Tuesday night not what their agents told them to say on twitter.
If he knows his players and they genuinely needed a public kick-up the backside then we'll see a big reaction Tuesday from those two and Bond will then congratulate them for their performances.

Interesting comments about Bond's age and its relevance. It is often stated that Gareth Southgates success with England is in some ways because of him being in tune with the squad regarding modern trends such as use of social media and modern day social attitudes. No real generation gap there.

Back