• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Should Phil Brown now leave?

• Yes

Votes: 233 65.6%
  • No

Votes: 53 14.9%
  • 3 more games

Votes: 69 19.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I would still give him a chance to get what he sees as his best side out which I would think includes Ranger, Ferdinand, Timlin & Wordsworth. If still dire then yes he has to go. We have had a complete nightmare with injuries to key players, plus the Innis fiasco. Who's to blame for that I don't know. But I'd give him until the end of October, which should be long enough to know if his best side is good enough, and if not gives a new manager time to turn things around.

Really?

I didnt think we were that strong last season and I look at the current team and I see a struggling side. Our midfield is very poor, we have no creativity anywhere in the team whatsoever. That will improve when Wordsworth and Timlin are fit, but how long will that be for?

I thought he did bring a few good players in over the close season, but he completely failed to improve the midfield, and that a worry because Im not sure how much a new manager would be able to improve them.
Don't get me wrong, I don't think we are great and we definitely over achieved last season but surely players like Leonard, McLaughlin and Mcglashan should be competitive at this level. IMO Brown's biggest mistake was letting Deegan go and not replacing him. I know he was a marmite player to many here but the truth is that we have been so much more toothless in matches since he left. King looks like a desperate attempt to add some bite to the midfield, which is harsh on the lad as he's not an awful player just nowhere near psychical enough for a relegation battle. I guess my point is will Timlin and Wordsworth make that much of a difference to the way that we're heading or just be pulled into the slump in form as say Leonard is atm?

Really?

I didnt think we were that strong last season and I look at the current team and I see a struggling side. Our midfield is very poor, we have no creativity anywhere in the team whatsoever. That will improve when Wordsworth and Timlin are fit, but how long will that be for?

I thought he did bring a few good players in over the close season, but he completely failed to improve the midfield, and that a worry because Im not sure how much a new manager would be able to improve them.

A new manager will bring fresh ideas and a different perspective, which is sometimes enough to bring about some self belief. How many times have we played against sides who are at rock bottom, and who have just sacked a manager or just brought in a new manager and lost the game because that team has some hope for a change in fortunes?

I am am a firm believer in a positive mindset being more powerful than just talent and technical skill. For that reason I think that a change of regime will stop the rot enough to get us through to January. With a change of direction, players like Leonard, Coker and Timlin will find some creativity in their play again, and start getting the right balls through to Mooney and Cox - both of whom are decent players, who will score for fun if the service is there. Browns system and tactics are not currently conducive to positivity, which is hurting us far more than a small squad. Nothing will change until Brown is history!

Hate to hear what you think about Tilson scraping promotion when he got us up with far fewer points. Eek.

Whilst Brown deserves to go now lets not wipe his achievements from history, he got us up with record points, more than any other manager has done. Credit where credit is due, same as criticism.

If PB cannot turn things round, I hope RM is noticing the incredible achievements of Danny Cowley at Lincoln. They are now top of the table. What Cowley has achieved at Lincoln in a very short time is amazing and augurs well for a great managerial career. He certainly knows how to motivate players.

Id highly doubt our chances of getting Cowley considering his just joined Lincoln, non league or not they would demand substantial compensation regarding his short time at the club. Whose to say he would want to jump into a seemingly sinking ship aswell.
if we can offer 6 figures for Jay Simpson, make him our highest paid player with Cox here too, we can afford to get the Cowleys from Lincoln City

If PB cannot turn things round, I hope RM is noticing the incredible achievements of Danny Cowley at Lincoln. They are now top of the table. What Cowley has achieved at Lincoln in a very short time is amazing and augurs well for a great managerial career. He certainly knows how to motivate players.

For the record, in my opinion it's not just Danny. It's credit to both him and his brother.

A new manager will bring fresh ideas and a different perspective, which is sometimes enough to bring about some self belief. How many times have we played against sides who are at rock bottom, and who have just sacked a manager or just brought in a new manager and lost the game because that team has some hope for a change in fortunes?

I am am a firm believer in a positive mindset being more powerful than just talent and technical skill. For that reason I think that a change of regime will stop the rot enough to get us through to January. With a change of direction, players like Leonard, Coker and Timlin will find some creativity in their play again, and start getting the right balls through to Mooney and Cox - both of whom are decent players, who will score for fun if the service is there. Browns system and tactics are not currently conducive to positivity, which is hurting us far more than a small squad. Nothing will change until Brown is history!

I do think another manager give us a lift and improve things, but I also look at the midfield and wonder just how he is going to turn that midfield into a good one.

I dont see any creativity in there that will allow strikers to score for fun. The only midfielder I see that has any creativity whatsoever is Wordsworth. Leonard had a period of scoring goals, but he has never really shown he has any creativity.

I think you have got to give Brown enough time to get the injured players back and then see how we do. I mean today we were missing Inniss, Ranger, Timlin, Wordsworth, Ferdinand plus Coker and Mcalughlin are coming back from injuries. That is five injured and a further two possibly not match fit. There are not many clubs at this level which could cope with that.

I think you have got to give Brown enough time to get the injured players back and then see how we do. I mean today we were missing Inniss, Ranger, Timlin, Wordsworth, Ferdinand plus Coker and Mcalughlin are coming back from injuries. That is five injured and a further two possibly not match fit. There are not many clubs at this level which could cope with that.

What? On compassionate release?

Luckily Ron will ignore fickle supporters who always think the grass is greener... I have listened over the months to oh if only we had Wilder ( really!) oh if we had Paul Cook (really!). One Alex Ferguson was wanted gone by Man U supporters- happily we have a chairman who hasn't got a hair trigger. Have as many polls as we like PB is here a while yet and what the team needs is support - if you can't do that please stay away.

From what I've seen this group of players are not playing for Brown. Whilst I think that's unacceptable as professionals, a new manager should get at least another 30% out of them. Couple that with players hopefully coming back from injury soon, now I believe is the time for Ron to act

Have as many polls as we like PB is here a while yet and what the team needs is support - if you can't do that please stay away.

I believe that you can still support the team whilst also thinking that Brown needs to be replaced

Luckily Ron will ignore fickle supporters who always think the grass is greener... I have listened over the months to oh if only we had Wilder ( really!) oh if we had Paul Cook (really!). One Alex Ferguson was wanted gone by Man U supporters- happily we have a chairman who hasn't got a hair trigger. Have as many polls as we like PB is here a while yet and what the team needs is support - if you can't do that please stay away.

Interesting comparison is Barnsley.

Last season they went on a run of 19 games without a win, including getting knocked out by a team from the Conference North in the FA Cup.

They stuck with the plan and now are second in the Championship.

My only wish is we have a plan of what we are trying to do.

PB does concern me that this constantly changes about.

Just some stability and the results will come.

Don't forget we've just played the best two sides in the division, away from home.

Interesting comparison is Barnsley.

Last season they went on a run of 19 games without a win, including getting knocked out by a team from the Conference North in the FA Cup.

They stuck with the plan and now are second in the Championship.

My only wish is we have a plan of what we are trying to do.

PB does concern me that this constantly changes about.

Just some stability and the results will come.

Don't forget we've just played the best two sides in the division, away from home.

Saw this posted on twitter.

Difference is, Barnsley sacked their manager and spent some money on players in January.

I don't see us doing that and we cannot afford a bad run. We've got to get rid now.

Saw this posted on twitter.

Difference is, Barnsley sacked their manager and spent some money on players in January.

I don't see us doing that and we cannot afford a bad run. We've got to get rid now.
Barnsley didn't sack their manager. He turned it round after christmas and got them from 24th to 12th, got them to the JPT final and won January manager of the month and then chose to leave to join a team in a higher division.

I agree that we don't have the funds or quality to do what Barnsley did. With or without Brown.

Barnsley didn't sack their manager. He turned it round after christmas and got them from 24th to 12th, got them to the JPT final and won January manager of the month and then chose to leave to join a team in a higher division.

I agree that we don't have the funds or quality to do what Barnsley did. With or without Brown.

I stand corrected on the manager then but the fact of the matter is, Barnsley had a plan and knew what to do. They spent money, improved their team and progressed. We don't have the money and sticking with Brown any longer is asking for trouble.

Spot on, Dan.

That's exactly what happened, but their policy was to run with a young team, mainly brought up through the ranks and just strengthen it where needed.

Plenty wanted Lee Johnson gone, but they stuck with him, as he was helping to develop the side.

It doesn't always work, of course, but sometimes it does.

They were bottom on 5th December 2015.

Back