• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Some very honest opinions and ones the I mostly agree with, although I still think with a bit more luck we could have got something. Although only a short time in charge PB has not had the normal new manager affect, which is slightly worrying. He must have been given some advice by GC and if so why on earth did Leonard and lund not get in the side ahead of Straker and Moshni, Leonard in particular would have done a good job on the left or right. Unfortunately as many have said, we can't replay the game and its s shame that there is so much disappointment after what should have been a happy occasion. The result we can handle the performance and team selection we can't. As a season ticket holder I have become used to disappointment over the past 34 years, but I just wanted us to put in a performance to show those non regulars what we are capable of and unfortunately that never happened.

Whilst I cannot disagree with any of the above...

I have to add the addition of Barker puzzled me as well

His lack of match fitness showed yesterday , and in my opinion, his legs have gone... slow ponderous and the Crewe players looked to channel everything down that route....

So if Brown has made two other selection gaffs, you have to question this one as well

But still..... we've been to Wembley ... and Col U didnt his season.....its not all that bad!

The villain of the piece, as ever, is Ron. Phil Brown has had two weeks to assess those players. I do not think he is blameless, he got it wrong big time. A lot of his team selection just defied all sense. Mohsni in centre mid after he was terrible there against Fleetwood. And Lund not even on the bench? If you've got a risk player in the starting 11 you cover it on the bench.

If you had gone up to Mark Phillips after the wooziness had worn off from his 8 injections to get him through the Orient area final, and told him Anthony Straker would get 90 minutes, Bilel would get 60 in the centre of midfield and he wouldn't get a single one, he would have punched you in the face.

shrimpfan said:
Brown wasn't here when we played brentford away cup replay. 6 defenders straker in front of barker rings a bell doesn't it. We have a centre half coach, hardly going to play attacking football?
Exactly. I didn't see the boards going into meltdown when Luggy played Mark Phillips as a DM that night.

Phil Brown = the new Dick Bate. Simples! :Worthy:

Team selection was **** far too defensive and immediately showed Crewe too much respect. All first half we pumped long balls and 80% of the time it cam straight back, if we're going to play like that we need Barry Corr at the other end to bring it down.

It's no coincidence that we looked better with Reeves, Eastwood and Corr on the pitch.

You have some explaining to do regarding your line up Phillip!!!

Not sure it was too defensive, we conceded after 5 mins! It was disorganised though. Bilel isn't a CM, Straker isn't a winger and our strikers were too isolated.

Was very unhappy with the starting line up yesterday and especially the inclusion of Barker, Straker and Mohsni.

I'm not going to judge Brown yet though until next season when he has had time to decide who he wants to keep and who to bring into the club.

Roll on Saturday (I don't think we'll see the same starting line up!)

Exactly. I didn't see the boards going into meltdown when Luggy played Mark Phillips as a DM that night.

The difference is PS probably didn't have at least two players who could play in that position sitting on the bench/in the stands, we were pretty badly hit by injuries IIRC.

Brown is still working out his best team. Ron knew that would be the case. That's why he sacked Sturrock when he did, to give Brown a chance to experiment for the rest of the season. The caveat to that is those games included one of the biggest in our history. What a chairman. What a mess.

Awful selection. Game was already lost before a ball was kicked. Whoever picked the team got it wrong big style, none of the scorers against Orient on the pitch? Kept faith with most of the shower that performed against Fleetwood? Be interested to see what our beloved chairman thought of it.

Before everyone gets carried away may I suggest you watch the highlights if you haven't already. On reflection the main difference between the two teams on the day was basically from two naïve errors by Mohsni and a poor refereeing decision in the first half that robbed us of a penalty. I accept it wasn't a vintage performance by Blues (albeit with the exception of 2x10 minute spells Crewe weren't great) but the result WAS actually quite harsh if you review it in the cold light of day. Frankly I always felt that one goal to lift the crowd and self belief of the players would see us go on and win the game right up to about 10 minutes to go. On a positive note it gave the manager a fantastic insight into the limits of the ability, mentality and condition of the players he has inherited - and in Crewe a level of success we should be aiming at as a minimum. There is a core of a good team there but I expect (and welcome) a number of changes over the summer - and I for one don't think its fair to pass judgement the current manager until at least Christmas.

I thought Crewe were trundling along in second gear for most of the game to be honest.

When he arrived, rightly or wrongly, Phil brown made an issue that he should be the manager for the day and not sturrock. He would have taken credit for a win, so cannot be absent of blame when one of the key reasons for defeat is his selection

When he arrived, rightly or wrongly, Phil brown made an issue that he should be the manager for the day and not sturrock. He would have taken credit for a win, so cannot be absent of blame when one of the key reasons for defeat is his selection

exactly. he wanted the glory, he should take the blame.

2 0 down with 15 left on the clock we are defending an Alex corner and up top we left 1 player marked by 3 defenders,That is poor and pointless.

You can't really blame Brown, he's barely been here long enough to know where they keep the teabags. The man to blame was sat two tables away from me in the Wembley Suite. The man who staked our reputation in a ludicrous gamble just two weeks before the cup final.

I was tempted to wander over and ask Ron if he thought it had all been worth it, but that would have been rude and *someone* round here has to have some manners. Besides, I was clattered.

2 0 down with 15 left on the clock we are defending an Alex corner and up top we left 1 player marked by 3 defenders,That is poor and pointless.

Is it? We'd already conceded one goal from a corner and 3-0 would have been good night Vienna. I genuinely can't remember the last time we scored a breakaway goal from a corner. People's preoccupation with how many people you leave up at corners strikes me as a bit weird. The main thing is to defend it.

I just watched mohsni's 'quick free kick' after 3mins. Had to turn the highlights off after that. We get an attacking freekick during our first foray into their half and he tries that. Crewe go and get a corner from it and perfectly execute their training ground plan for their first corner. Yes Brown hasn't been here long, but Jeez, that really got me angry.

Back