• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Very, it's not as if Sainsburys once announced they were building a huge store on RH.:winking:

Very ironically true. But unless I've missed something (not impossible), this is the first time that a big outfit has expressed an intention to invest in Fossetts.

Very ironically true. But unless I've missed something (not impossible), this is the first time that a big outfit has expressed an intention to invest in Fossetts.

I guess the point is nothing can happen until SUFC have a new home....maybe Mr Slippery is reversing the project...and will sort FF first...Time will tell I guess.....I won't be banking on anything.

Thing is the retail development means jack **** to us. This is meant to FOLLOW the stadium development not before it.....unless the Council have/will change their approach.

So we are talking years before these companies can even begin to think about construction.

The whole thing smacks of Ron now trying to play the "But we have huge companies lined up that will bring massive commercial benefit to the town" card to the Council.

Thing is the retail development means jack **** to us. This is meant to FOLLOW the stadium development not before it.....unless the Council have/will change their approach.

So we are talking years before these companies can even begin to think about construction.

The whole thing smacks of Ron now trying to play the "But we have huge companies lined up that will bring massive commercial benefit to the town" card to the Council.

I agree mate...the agreement was apparently the new ground was first before anything else....Now things are changing....Who would of thought such things would be possible under Rm's tenure.

Ever so slightly more light shed on this here, with quotes from Ron.

http://www.southendrising.com/news

So the funding for the alleged new ground is coming from British Land PLC. Or at least, "discussions" have taken place. Ie we've asked, they've said no.

Cineworld today announced that it has reached agreement to open a new state-of-the-art 12 screen cinema in Southend, which will become the centrepiece of the proposed retail and leisure scheme at Fossetts Farm.

The development forms part of wider plans by Martin Dawn Plc to construct a new football stadium for Southend United and comprises 35 retail units, 10 [COLOR=#1B8EDE !important]restaurants and over 1000 free car parking spaces.[/COLOR]

The multiplex will be home to a [COLOR=#1B8EDE !important]minimum of 2,000 seats arranged across 12 full height auditoria. Cineworld will provide its unique Super Screen theatre, which includes a wall to wall screen, dual projectors for a brighter 3D experience and Dolby surround-sound.[/COLOR]

Martin Dawn Plc is in advanced discussions with British Land plc to forward fund the first phase of development, including the new stadium. British Land Plc is the UK’s largest listed owner and manager of retail space and a market leader in the design and development of Shopping Parks.

Cineworld’s Property Director, Kevin Frost, commented: “We are delighted to have found the perfect home for our Southend cinema. British Land is an ongoing partner of ours and we are looking forward to working with them again, whilst also providing synergy with the club's plans. The A127 location will allow us to serve customers in both Southend and Basildon, and the proposed scheme will give us the room to offer our new customers the full choice of movies and formats available.”

Southend United’s Chairman, Ron Martin, commented: “The club's relocation plans have been a long time in gestation. In view of the uncertainty that has surrounded the regeneration of Roots Hall, the club's current ground, for a mixed Retail/Residential development, the proposal with British Land will breath fresh air into the project.

"In addition to placing Southend United on the football map, this development will also make a significant contribution to the town's attraction and economy."

I have this idea in mind ..which I have no personal money maybe some collaterial ( which I owe to others anyway) ...who's up for lending me 50 mill.............don't all rush at once chaps, but this is a dead cert.

The plan has changed, we lost our financing so financing must be obtained by other means.

Maybe this forms part of the plan B, maybe not.

Nothing to say it will be built first, time will tell. Probably a lot of time.

I didn't realise Southend United was not on the footballing map.

What proposal with British land, RM ? To help Cineworld build a new cinema ? :blush:

Just read the article Cricko posted, there is a paragraph in there that is massive :

Martin Dawn Plc is in advanced discussions with British Land plc to forward fund the first phase of development, including the new stadium. British Land Plc is the UK’s largest listed owner and manager of retail space and a market leader in the design and development of Shopping Parks.

Seems the retail park is to be the primary fund raiser for the start of the stadium instead of Sainsbury.

I didn't realise Southend United was not on the footballing map.
If the reason that people have heard of Southend United is that they have a new stadium with a cinema and retail park outside then Ron would love it.

I guess nobody has heard of a club that's been promoted 3 times, winning the league once, spent a year in the Championship, been to 3 JPT finals, made a League Cup quarter final via beating Man Utd and drawn with Chelsea in the FA Cup, all in the last 10 years.

I apologise did not realise it had been posted in another thread. Mods please close this thread

I seem to recall RM saying a few months back that the whole Sainsburies deal was no longer central to the new stadium plans (this was around the time Aldi / Lidl were supposedly going to buy Prospects) so I guess he was putting this British Land thing together behind the scenes at that time. I suppose if you go back to the start of the whole FF thing, it was originally going to be funded by borrowing money from more conventional sources, i.e. investment banks. It was only when the finiancial world collapsed and everyone stopped lending money that he came up with plan B which was the Sainsburies deal. However so many years have now past, full of well documented stumbling blocks, that in that time the world is recovering and credit is becoming available again. Hence RM finding another source of finance for FF via British Land, meaning its not really an issue anymore whether CPO's are enforced or not. He'll still get to build something that will make him millions on the RH site with or without Sainsburies. Not that I have a clue what I'm talking about. I'll go back to sleep now, wake me up when it's built..

Before closing it at least let Smiffy and Cricko make their customary responses!

Well that is a little unfair, of course we have our views on the subject, probably knowing more than you ,that aside. Rather than take us to task..lets hear your views.

Well that is a little unfair, of course we have our views on the subject..but rather than take us to task..lets hear your views.

I've offered my views on numerous occasions in the past. I respect your stance just always find it amusing that you and Smiffy always offer a negative view to all things FF or RM related - when with all respect to you both you simply cannot know the full facts of the situation.

I have always been a firm believer that we will relocate to FF. When that will be I don't know but I guess time will tell which of us is right.

I've offered my views on numerous occasions in the past. I respect your stance just always find it amusing that you and Smiffy always offer a negative view to all things FF or RM related - when with all respect to you both you simply cannot know the full facts of the situation.

I have always been a firm believer that we will relocate to FF. When that will be I don't know but I guess time will tell which of us is right.

also it was funny post :-)

Back