• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

When I first heard on the radio yesterday that Lee Hughes had been sentanced to six years I thought that was quite a hefty sentance.
After thinking about it for a while actually its not, its a poxy piddly sentance that is totally indicative of the state of our Criminal Justice system.
Hughes it has been estimated drank 6 double whiskeys and cokes and then drove off from the pub. He later crashed into a car killing the occupant and left the scene.
Duringthe subsequent court case he was asked 10 times why he didnt stay at the scene, Hughes refused to answer.

Now in my mind there shouldnt be a specific offence of Death by dangerous driving for circumstances such as this.
If a driver consumes so much alcohol that it affects his ability to drive and then kills someone with the car then a straightfoward charge of manslaughter will do for me.

He is very lucky to only recieve a small sentance like he has. If he had done it recently he would get a Max sentance of 14years, but because it is a new law he missed out on it and got a shorter sentance.

One thing i would like to know is how does this Law System work ? Lee Hughes kills a man in his car, was drunk, left the scene etc get 6 years.

An illegal immigrant last year kills a young boy, i think he was around 10 years old. The man had no insurence, no tax, no MOT, no licence and shouldnt even be in the country. He got 6 months, yes 6 MONTHS !!

How does that work then ?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (LITTLEMAN @ Aug. 10 2004,13:32)]He is very lucky to only recieve a small sentance like he has. If he had done it recently he would get a Max sentance of 14years, but because it is a new law he missed out on it and got a shorter sentance.

One thing i would like to know is how does this Law System work ? Lee Hughes kills a man in his car, was drunk, left the scene etc get 6 years.

An illegal immigrant last year kills a young boy, i think he was around 10 years old. The man had no insurence, no tax, no MOT, no licence and shouldnt even be in the country. He got 6 months, yes 6 MONTHS !!

How does that work then ?
Because he didn't run away.

If Hughes had waited at the scene and had passed a breath test he almost certainly would have received a much lighter sentence.

Check this out then

17 year old lad has sex (rapes) his 11 year old sister and his 15 year old sister, indecently assaults them both numerous times over a period of 12 months. Makes full admissions.

Sentanced to............. 12 month conditional discharge. And to sign on the sex offenders register for 5 years.

24 year old single mother of two doesnt pay TV licence and is sentanced to 28days imprisonment.

Work that one out!!!

Actually, you don't have to kill someone to get a far heftier sentence... for instance bank robbers have been put away for life!

But then I guess there is a lot of truth in the saying: MONEY TALKS!
rock.gif

Unfortunately our legal system is not a tough as in the USA, where people have been put away for just crossing the road!
biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Benfleetshrimp @ Aug. 10 2004,13:21)]Now in my mind there shouldnt be a specific offence of Death by dangerous driving for circumstances such as this.
If a driver consumes so much alcohol that it affects his ability to drive and then kills someone with the car then a straightfoward charge of manslaughter will do for me.
Boolocks to manslaughter. Hughes putting his foot down on the accelerator in this case, is the same (in my view) as pulling the trigger of a gun. So I say it's as serious as murder. Guity of murder, isn't that a life sentence?

New subject topic. Why doesn't life imprisonment actually mean life imprisonment anymore?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (chadded @ Aug. 10 2004,15:59)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Benfleetshrimp @ Aug. 10 2004,13:21)]Now in my mind there shouldnt be a specific offence of Death by dangerous driving for circumstances such as this.
Boolocks to manslaughter. Hughes putting his foot down on the accelerator in this case, is the same (in my view) as pulling the trigger of a gun. So I say it's as serious as murder. Guity of murder, isn't that a life sentence?

New subject topic. Why doesn't life imprisonment actually mean life imprisonment anymore?
I believe it has to be premeditated to be murder. Therefore the prosecution would need to prove beyond reasonable doubt that the defendant deliberately accelerated in an attempt to kill the victim.

I think it is fair to say that Hughes is a killer but not a murderer.

I do however believe that 6 years is far too lenient in view of his actions following the accident and his complete disregard of the mans family by failing to apologise and plead guilty.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]An illegal immigrant last year kills a young boy, i think he was around 10 years old. The man had no insurence, no tax, no MOT, no licence and shouldnt even be in the country. He got 6 months, yes 6 MONTHS !!

This cas was brought up on the discussions on Talksport yesterday, this person was not convicted of "causing death by dangerous driving" as the young child ran out in front of him and the driver had no chance.

To commit murder you have to intend to kill or cause GBH.

I have just found out that Causing death by dangerous driving is the equivelent offence as manslaughter, it is if you like motor manslaughter.

I aggree that Hughes is most defintley not a murderer but a killer yes.

Incidentally, because the law on murder has yet to be updated, the old rule stands that the person has to die within a year and a day.

This came up in a case in Middlesbrough where an assailant repeatedly kicked a victim's head in; that victim fell into a coma and got put on a life-support machine, and died 14 months later.

Result? Not murder, but merely GBH.

That said, s. 20 (GBH with intent) has a maximum sentence of life imprisonment, so I think the assailant went down for a long stretch anyway.

My thoughts, in the Hughes case, are of course with the relatives of the deceased, as well as the injured survivors. Let this be a salutary lesson to anyone who thinks that drinking and driving is in any way acceptable.

Matt

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Benfleetshrimp @ Aug. 10 2004,13:41)]Check this out then

17 year old lad has sex (rapes) his 11 year old sister and his 15 year old sister, indecently assaults them both numerous times over a period of 12 months. Makes full admissions.

Sentanced to............. 12 month conditional discharge. And to sign on the sex offenders register for 5 years.

24 year old single mother of two doesnt pay TV licence and is sentanced to 28days imprisonment.

Work that one out!!!
What a bloody shambles, What is it with this country, we used to be built on disipine, now anyone can do what they like unless its murder, the Police have there hands tied because of all this political correctness and human rights bollox.

I watched a good program the other week on BBC1 called Vandels and there were teenagers who went on a rampage in Worthing, smashed gardens, smashed cars, broke windows, AND this was all on video so what was the punishment ? £250 quid fine.

The above crime is sick and he should be locked away, and why is it a judge gives someone life and they get out after 15-20 years. Life should mean exactly that, you die in prison.

Bring back Justice.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (footymad13 @ Aug. 10 2004,19:25)]What a bloody shambles, What is it with this country, we used to be built on disipine, now anyone can do what they like unless its murder, the Police have there hands tied because of all this political correctness and human rights bollox.

I watched a good program the other week on BBC1 called Vandels and there were teenagers who went on a rampage in Worthing, smashed gardens, smashed cars, broke windows, AND this was all on video so what was the punishment ? £250 quid fine.

The above crime is sick and he should be locked away, and why is it a judge gives someone life and they get out after 15-20 years. Life should mean exactly that, you die in prison.

Bring back Justice.
And in my day......

....teenagers didn't sound like middle age Daily Mail readers!

mad.gif

However on a slightly less flippant note for what is a serious topic, Lee Hughes should have gone away for a lot longer.

FM the result of the near absolute order and dicipline of the times your talking of is what we're seeing now.

Justice is represented by scales for a reason , a balance must be sought , people must be bought to account for their actions , however the chance however small must be there for rehabilitation and reintroduction into society.

We cannot generalise on individule cases , as each one must be examined and judged on its own (hence the case of the illegal immergrant above , also comparing that to the Huges case.) While both are RTA's after that the similarites end and cannot really be judged with the same criteria.

"The society that has the most laws , has the most criminals"

[b said:
Quote[/b] (footymad13 @ Aug. 10 2004,19:25)]What a bloody shambles, What is it with this country, we used to be built on disipine, now anyone can do what they like unless its murder, the Police have there hands tied because of all this political correctness and human rights bollox.
When I become home secretary there will be a new crime of 'talking absolute crap on internet discussion boards'.

I suspect it will enter common parlance as FM13's law.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mad Cyril @ Aug. 11 2004,11:02)]
[b said:
When I become home secretary there will be a new crime of 'talking absolute crap on internet discussion boards'.

biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mad Cyril @ Aug. 11 2004,11:02)]
[b said:

Whats wrong with that statement ?

Back