• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah... It didn't help that we plucked Ferdinand from them, that's for sure.

It's worth noting that there's been an awful lot of hype surrounding Sterling for some time. He was playing for England U16s at the age of 14 and he's supposed to be the best player England have in the '94 age group.

Sterling looks like a phenomenal player he looks like he'll be one of the best in the EPL in the future

Impressed by Stevens, De La Verde and a couple of others although I can't remember their names. Especially liked the quality crunching challenge by Stevens in the last few minutes. We played quite well in the 2nd half. Created some stuff and didn't do too badly. But the Liverpool lads where about a yard or two quicker than us all over the pitch. Unlucky lads, good effort and 9 - 0 doesn't really reflect the game to be fair. A bit harsh. Man to man they weren't that better but with some quality like Sterling in the side it's a bit impossible.

Should have got stuck in to Sterling from the start, when we started to give him a bit of hassle and a few knocks in the back he didn't like it. Class act from him though.

The referee wasn't too kind to us, the penalty was soft at best and we should have had a couple of free kicks in the middle of the park that he never gave, brilliant.

Full credit to the lads for getting this far. Lets be honest, did any of us expect a win tonight?. 9-0 may sound harsh, but as we know through watching premier league on t.v., the speed of the players and their passing ability is light years away from what we endure on a weekly basis.

Thought that Stevens, Big Duane and Nesbitt looked pretty good - but in particular Smith looked really decent. That Sterling was quite good for the scousers too

Stevens and Nesbitt were the stand out performers for me. Smith was good in spells and I thought big Duane and Lyle did well too. Didn't think Hicham did a lot and Okai wasn't at his best but overall really proud of them all.

Why does Lyle not start? Every time I've seen them he's a sub, is this an impact thing? Seems to me we're missing a trick.

Why does Lyle not start? Every time I've seen them he's a sub, is this an impact thing? Seems to me we're missing a trick.

Is he not 16/17? If so then perhaps it's a case of giving the older ones a chance to earn a pro deal. He's next year to do that, if he hasn't already.

I'm sure Lyle is only 15, maybe 16 now (but only just). The biggest difference for me was what Liverpool did off the ball. We couldn't cope with their movement and they were a yard or two sharper in every position, this gave themselves time on the ball. We didn't have any movement going forward and on the few occasions we did we got in behind them, it just wasn't often enough.

Sterling was by far and away the best player on the pitch and is really going to be some talent, but as someone has already pointed out, he probably end up costing more on his own than we can only dream of spending on our entire youth set up over a number of years!

I thought Nesbitt and Smith were our best two players, and Sterling was quieter once he had switched to the right up against Nesbitt who I thought handled a hell of a lot better than Furlonge.

Still all the best to the lads and they have done themselves proud with this run!

Is he not 16/17? If so then perhaps it's a case of giving the older ones a chance to earn a pro deal. He's next year to do that, if he hasn't already.
Maybe, but I thought Okai was the same age..........
I've thought for a while that Teddy Nesbitt could come into the 1st team and do a decent enough job.

Maybe, but I thought Okai was the same age..........
I've thought for a while that Teddy Nesbitt could come into the 1st team and do a decent enough job.

Kay, Okai is only 15 and the only reason I know is because I know his mum quite well.

The boys still done well getting this far though.

Having wound up the scouser at work about the super young Shrimpers, I'll have to face the music tomorrow!

Just got back and there are a number of words that can sum up tonight's game and why Liverpool were so much better.

1. Speed.
2. Awareness.
3. Ability
4. Skill

etc etc etc

And Sterling. I said to the guy sitting next to me five minutes into the game after he'd gone round Furlong as if he was standing for the second time that he would be the one to make things happen and cause us all kinds of troubles and true enough he was. He was the one they looked for at every oportunity when getting the ball forward. A scouser behind me mentioned that apparently the deal done with QPR could eventually hit £5m should Sterkling fullfil his undoubted potential. The lad was a menace all night long.

A bloody long journey but ultimately well worth it, regardless of the final score, just to say I'd been to the Kop and sang for Southend and shown my appreciation to the Blues youth for getting that far in the competition.

Bed beckons, night all.

Kay, Okai is only 15 and the only reason I know is because I know his mum quite well.

Not meaning to question the wisdom of Tinks but if Okai is only 15 now then he made his debut at Gills at 14?????

Well done to Ricky Duncan for getting the boys this far. I don't think it does young lads any harm to see the way the game can be played. It gives them something to aspire towards and should improve their level.

Well then they ARE the same age, but Okai still starts but Lyle doesn't. My point still stands then, why doesn't Lyle start?

Just looked him up on Wiki, 18 a week on Saturday.

More importantly, and already my favourite fact of the day, his middle name is an awesome Ebeneezer. If Julian Ebeneezer N A Okai ever get's into the first team, there's a ready made song for him, eez a good, eez a good, eez Ebeneezer good....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back