• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

One horse town. In fact they could pin a blue rosette on the most ugliest horse they could find and it'll be elected.

For Parliament, I might agree (although we did have a dreadful experiment with a Labour rep around the time of Bob Spink), however, the Council have been appalling lately and it wouldn't surprise me in the least to see a backlash against them. Countless allegations of corruption, especially in the planning department, where it seems to be builders have carte blanche depending on who they know.

UKIP have lost almost all the seats they were defending. Labour have lost control of Derby and Nuneaton & Bedworth, but taken Plymouth from the Conservatives. The Tories have also lost Trafford, but gained both Peterborough and Basildon from No Overall Control.

The Lib Dems are the only party who have really won on the night, having taken Richmond-upon-Thames from the Conservatives and gained 40 councillors across England.

Didn't see that coming. I honestly thought the Tories would get given a bloody nose but it looks as if the great electoral British public have gone with what's perceived to be the least worst of a thoroughly bad lot.

What is also striking is that the Tories have held so many of the seats they were expected to lose to labour. Yes it's the local elections and you cannot accurately extrapolate from it what the scenario would be in a GE but it's clear the public are fed up to the back teeth with the current lot but also clearly don't see Labour as the 'government in waiting' as someone on here likes to call them.

Still early doors really with many still to come in but very interesting so far.

I live in Blenheim Park ward and today I now have a Labour councillor representing me. I don't think that has ever happened in this ward in my time here.

Thought the tories were in for a proper spanking and it hasn't happened. The lesser of two evils?

**Awaits the excuses from sunny Spain**

Oh and happy sunday everyone.

Apparently....nothing (much) has changed.

The gradual wipeout of UKIP continues.

Labour didn't do anywhere near as well in London as they might (should?) have hoped. Remember when they had high hopes of taking Hillingdon, Barnet, Wandsworth and even Kensington and Chelsea? Decent win in Plymouth though.

Decent night for the Lib Dems. In terms of seats won relative to what they already had, a good one for the Greens.

I'd imagine the Conservatives are breathing a sigh of relief, having not received the kicking they probably deserve.

Couple if Indys elected in Southend I see, including one, who I believe, is a member of this board! Castle Point remained blue, as MK suggested, seems people aren't as hacked off with them as I thought they might be - still think a decent attack by the Lib Dems might have gained them some seats.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-44000529

Wow, not the rout and gains for the 'Government in waiting' some were predicting

Indeed, this quote is quite telling;

But, in the words of Sir John Curtice, professor of politics at the University of Strathclyde, Jeremy Corbyn's party has come out of this more or less "empty-handed", and they can't show the kind of progress they would be shouting about if they were truly convinced they were on a rapid march to Number 10.

Seems the perceived anti-Semitism has hurt them.

This is a different election to GE night

People are looking more at local elected due to state of Roads, shopping areas,local closure of amenities etc and if seen to pro active gets the vote

We have Mr ex UKIP now Independent Kerry Smith voted in by a long chalk, reason he has been pro active all year not just at election time, the man is still a slug in a suit imo but other disagree and so the vote was 2500+ for him then nearest 450 +, so it shows people do take interest
I'm sure if he stood for GE then he would come a distant 4th, but for local issues he is at the forefront and maybe he does do good work behind the scenes, but somehow I believe he is like many, in it for himself and looking to a more senior role in the future.
He's motto " Was the man they couldnot gag". well its a shame he wasnot gagged when engaging in homophobic bile when UKIP, but as others will say its in the past and time to move, but once you have that view it must be hard not to believe it,even in modern times

UTS

Change that is shown is from 2014 which was a high point for both Labour and UKIP. Since then the Referendum happened and UKIP have collapsed so in the Northern Leave areas UKIP votes have largely gone to the Tories.

When you take the fact that UKIP lost 92 seats and the vast majority of those went to the Tories, for the Tories to end up down overall means they are losing seats to Labour and LibDems (from a relatively low point for Tories and and LibDems and fairly high point for Labour).

In the South Coast Labour had a decent vote increase and Trafford was a significant gain but Nuneaton going to NOC is a significant loss. London was already a very strong position and the Labour targets were always ambitious and the seat increases in Westminster and Kensington will not worry the Tories but decent progress has been made in Wandsworth.

LibDems have increased their South West London niche.

Overall not a lot of changes other than the final collapse of UKIP. Brexit still dominating British politics and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future.

Couple if Indys elected in Southend I see, including one, who I believe, is a member of this board! Castle Point remained blue, as MK suggested, seems people aren't as hacked off with them as I thought they might be - still think a decent attack by the Lib Dems might have gained them some seats.
I don't know about these specifically but a number of independents standing throughout the country are ex UKIP - presumably fed up with the regular leadership changes.

Back