• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Saw Micky Welch make his debut away at Blackpool. He could run...that is about it.

I may be wrong ..but was Micky Welch the first black/coloured player to play for Southend United??

Saw Micky Welch make his debut away at Blackpool. He could run...that is about it.

I may be wrong ..but was Micky Welch the first black/coloured player to play for Southend United??

NO ! Definitely not....there was a young left-winger who played at least one full season-1959-60?-in the reserves.His name was Malcolm Partridge-I think we might have got him from Portsmouth.

NO ! Definitely not....there was a young left-winger who played at least one full season-1959-60?-in the reserves.His name was Malcolm Partridge-I think we might have got him from Portsmouth.

I remember him, very pacy (thought it was Paul Partridge, but could well be wrong); never made it into the first team.

Good question on the 150th anniversary of the birth of the first black (mixed race) professional footballer, Arthur Wharton.

So...as we stand. Micky Welch is a candidate as first black or mixed race player to actually play a competitive game for Southend United?/ The first team.

Within days of him leaving he was replaced with a rather better black player !

So...as we stand. Micky Welch is a candidate as first black or mixed race player to actually play a competitive game for Southend United?/ The first team.

According to Peter Miles, that is so.

If you are changing this to mixed race,then Ray Whale,one of four close-season signings from the Albion in the early 60 's ,played dozens of first team games.

If you are changing this to mixed race,then Ray Whale,one of four close-season signings from the Albion in the early 60 's ,played dozens of first team games.

And the prolific centre-forward Bud Houghton too !

Here's another thought, lets evaluate the cookie in the jar, lets evaluate, then evaluate, then evaluate some more, then when we have determined to take the cookie, guess what? They're all gone. I'm not saying there shouldn't be any assessment, but with a 50-50 chance of another Eastwood, flahaven etc, sometimes in life it is unwise not to sit back

like Man U did with Bebe?
or we did with Kightly?
you need to asses them to the point that you're comfortable with your decision. watch him, maybe invite him for a trial. don't just sign people up because you've seen them have one good game

Yeah, Ive just seen that also, only a 1 week trial though. But still sounds like he could be a good future prospect if he is attracting alot of interest from some big clubs.

Yes, also other Grays player Nathan Ferguson on trial at Burton. As said before credit to Ex shrimper now Grays manager Mark Bentley for developing these players.

Medi Abalimba had a trial with Man United. Doesn't mean he will sign, let's hope it doesn't work out and we give him a chance. We could do with another striker whilst Hunt is still crocked.

Yes, also other Grays player Nathan Ferguson on trial at Burton. As said before credit to Ex shrimper now Grays manager Mark Bentley for developing these players.

Good Shout, I did'nt know Ferguson was on trial also with Burton. "Brothers in arms etc"
Something tell's me this could be an opportunitty missed.

Hmm, doubt it's missed an opportunity, a trial means zilch. Seem to recall one or two folk on here a while back saying a certain Dan Holman was really worth a look yet since joining Col U he's been out on loan four times - on each occasion to a non-league outfit. Wonder why, eh?

Good Shout, I did'nt know Ferguson was on trial also with Burton. "Brothers in arms etc"
Something tell's me this could be an opportunitty missed.

What Southend miss out on a couple of local lads, encouraged, recommended and developed by a former player, surely not? Please dont say Ipswich and Burton have stepped in with a weeks trial for each, when they were on our doorstep, no , dont mention it, I am sure our super scouts would surely have had a good look and rejected both , surely, no ?

Back