• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

What Southend miss out on a couple of local lads, encouraged, recommended and developed by a former player, surely not? Please dont say Ipswich and Burton have stepped in with a weeks trial for each, when they were on our doorstep, no , dont mention it, I am sure our super scouts would surely have had a good look and rejected both , surely, no ?

You could look at it that way or you could look at it as Ferguson being a CM where we already have enough bodies and Dumaka being prolific only at a lower level (Ryman Prem), Jason Williams was scoring pretty much a goal a game when on loan in the league above and guys i've spoke to at Chelmsford City say Williams would be scoring like Dumaka if he were in that league. Don't think either of these guys will be going on the cheap either.

Played against Nathan last season really think we missed out! Work rate was unreal. All the best to him

I've been told he is one hell of an athlete and is already fitter than most pros. I don't think a workhorse is what we need at the moment though, need someone with a bit of vision and creativity.

Apparently the tabs we keep on people comprise of very small post it notes stuck on the back of the bog door near the shrimpers bar

Didn't realise dumaka went to Maidstone but just see he scored a 120th minute equaliser in their play off final which they then won on pens (sound familiar) ... surely worth a trial in the summer?

I agree. We should always keep an eye on our local non league clubs... In terms of wages, they can't be asking for much more than a player coming from the academy. It's worth a punt.

Issac Layne was in and out of the club so quickly it hardly seemed fair...

I agree. We should always keep an eye on our local non league clubs... In terms of wages, they can't be asking for much more than a player coming from the academy. It's worth a punt.

He was not good enough. That's the problem. These players are playing at that level in the first place because the large majority of them are not up to our level. It's not as easy picking out the next Freddy as some people think on here. I am all for finding non league talent but it's about getting the right ones in.

He was not good enough. That's the problem. These players are playing at that level in the first place because the large majority of them are not up to our level. It's not as easy picking out the next Freddy as some people think on here. I am all for finding non league talent but it's about getting the right ones in.

I agree it's not that easy, but for us to find freddy and him be the only talent we have found locally is quite poor. When you look at the likes of Peterborough, they seem to find a local gem every couple of seasons.

I agree it's not that easy, but for us to find freddy and him be the only talent we have found locally is quite poor. When you look at the likes of Peterborough, they seem to find a local gem every couple of seasons.

They pay good fees for them though, which is something we can't do. Posh sell a player on for a million plus and then pay the odd £100k here and £100k there for players who are tearing up non league. They don't take massive gambles the players they get are generally doing the business and look well above the level they are playing. Maybe if we get decent compensation for Bentley and Payne it is a model we should look at.

Worked with Freddy and Nicky Bailey, Gower was non league too but I dont think we paid, or received a fee for him.
going back a long time , we made a fair profit on Bill Garner, having paid a fee to Bedford

It's become pretty clear Scottish third tier is about his level as he did well on loan there and then not especially well when recalled by Alloa. So think we did well getting rid.

Back