• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

    Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

    New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

    Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

    Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

steveo

mine to stay the same please
Joined
Aug 30, 2005
Messages
7,545
If I had posted this when it started, it may have had the legs to match MK's fridge post. So i'll keep it short but you may get bored.

Earlier this year, probably February time, I saw some damp patches on the left side outside wall of my house. Thought they would dry up but they didn't.

We started to get power failure, consumer unit tripping out. I rang electrician (Ian) who came round next day and couldn't find a fault. But hit the switch and it all came back on. Same again next week so unplugged everything and tried it but no luck. Took every socket off in the house and checked the wiring. By this time the power was back. Ian split the power onto 3 circuits so we always had something working.
Fault kept occurring. Ian popped round again with builder brother (Ray)

at this stage I should say that the ground floor of my house is on 3 levels all the floors are about 3 foot above the oversite. Two years ago we did the lounge and dining room floors, electric underfloor heating, Karndean flooring etc.

Ray works out the electrical fault as a water problem. Drills a hole in either side of the house and water pours out like a bath tap, so it have been building up under the floor and tripping out a junction box. At this stage we realised the problem occurred during heavy rain.

Thought that was all sorted but the water continued to run out of in the hole in the left side of the house.

Essex & Suffolk water spent two days here. After digging up the grass, the pavement and a week later the road, they couldn't find the supply to my house so fitted a new main stopcock in my pathway. They tested the water and said it contained no chlorine or chemicals so wasn't their water. Got hold of Anglian Water who are in charge of waste. They tested the water and said it had no waste in so was not theirs.

My first thought was to take up the lounge floor but was told it would all be scrap and cost about 5 grand to put back down.
Phoned the local council. Nice chap told me not their responsibility but he looked at some old plans and said an extension had been built and a drain had been run diagonally under the house. Phoned insurance Company who sent round a drain bloke. He cleared the drain and poured some dye down to see if it came through but the water remained crystal clear.

Arranged a visit from Essex County council, flood department. Bloke said its only their problem if it affects a number of house and shied away from any responsibility. Thanks.

Ray and Ian came back and knocked a big hole in the left side of the house, climbed in under the floor and identified the water was coming from the right side of the house.

Next option for me was to dig up the footpath, which would mean hiring the tools, or a builder, removing **** loads of concrete, trying to find the source and doing something with it.

If anyone is still reading I have to go out so will continue later.
 
Top