• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

stan collymore

Stanley Victor Collymore
Hi everyone,its been a long time!!! Nice to see that the Spanish shrimper is still a miserable tw&t,harking for the days of a Billy Best & Jimmy Shankley.As for the guys i chatted to a couple of years ago,i hope you are all well!

The club,albeit recently are really going places,in the Championship,with a decent looking squad of young players,so i'm sure you give them all the support in the world,i always keep my eye out for what's going on,and i seriously don't think in my humble opinion that there's a better man for the job than Tilly,who has the club in his heart and soul,enough said!

As for some of the wilder remarks on the boards about me,i will give you one or two facts,firstly,my physical and mental condition are A1,and having worked closely recently with coaches who train and do conditioning work with olympic athletes,i pay rather more attention to what there diagnosis of my physical state,than with respect,the Spanish shrimper et al....

The tests i have done(prior to Tenerife,where i have trained for 3 weeks,on physical fitness,plyometric training,trimming down weight to NFFC playing weight,and building power) all were scientific tests used on athletes in various sports to ascertain fitness levels,and hence goals.My tests pre-Tenerife suggested that my fitness at that point were still that of an elite athlete,and with up to 8 weeks conditioning work,that at age 35,my power,strength,fitness and agility would be comparable to ANYTIME in my career previous.

So now back home after 3 daily sessions in Tenerife working on the above,and seeing the progression already,i would in my opinion and that of the coaches training me be ready to play at a level that i would find challenging.For me,sorry if it doesn't suit the sceptics but that is the very top.The ballwork came naturally,and my only true concern was the ability to regain a level of fitness that was up to the mark.i believe in the next few weeks i will have,and some!

I take criticism(constructive) with no problems at all,however i'm not sure why on a forum at a club where i enjoyed the support that a lot of you guys gave me 13 years ago,and still do that i should find such outright disrespect from some of you on this board.I don't ask to be liked,never have but some of you i've met on my visits back over the last 3 or 4 years and have given me the basic respect and courtesy that anyone should expect,and i believe i have always tried to give either on this forum,or in person.

Reading some of the posts on this thread,not only some people are not armed with the facts but are not armed with a common respect for someone who has bundles of it for them and their football club.Whether or not i CHOSE to come back and play football,or am given an opportunity(probably not in honesty due to my reputation,and yes,not having played for 5 years) i will tell you one thing....

If it happens,you will not be seeing a geriatric showpony having one last fling,it will be 6'3/15 stone of 35 year old who will attempt to finish a career of with the aim of doing something that he didn't do the last time,doing it properly...Yours in sport,and up the shrimpers!!

Stan Collymore
P.s I may have been a dick at times,stupid even but don't ever take me for a fool....

Good to see you back on form, Stan - on here at least.

Funnily enough, I was watching your DVD only yesterday.  I'd completely forgotten about our games at Bristol Rovers and Huddersfield, despite having attended them!  You ran the show then and that goal at Leeds Road, well .....

I would also add that, coming from a Sunderland family on my father's side (which my son supports too!) your winning goal against newcastle in THAT game in '96, leaving all those geordies crying, will live long in my memory too!

Whilst we'll always hold you in the highest esteem, there's always going to be doubts over whether you can make a successful comeback.  I've no reason to disbelieve your state of fitness physically or spiritually but I'm sure you can understand that, prior to this message, many were sceptical and probably still are.  

Personally I really don't know if you could make a really successful comeback, especially with the press just waiting for you to trip up, but I'd love to see someone take the chance.  The natural ability is there and I'd love to see you make a success of it.

Don't take the less ingenuous comments to heart mate.  Those comments are borne of ignorance and are pretty much treated with contempt by the majority.  What you will find every time you come back to Southend is the warmest of welcomes.  For every one smartarse that wants to take ou down you will find 100 Shrimpers ready to back you to the hilt.  Just ignore the crap and focus on the positive.

Whatever happens to you in future, nobody can ever take away those moments of magic - that dribble and goal from the halfway line against Brentford, a performance at Roker that even my old man said was the best he'd ever seen from an opposing player at Sunderland (and he was about from the 30's, and seen everyone from Billy Wright to Eric Cantona so he knew his stuff) and, of course, full-time against Luton on the last day of the  '93 season.  You can look back on that with enormous pride as we all do.  

And anyone who's been that close to Sharon Stone (my fantasy woman) ain't no dick, but is an all round hero!  Stick around, Stan, all the best, and pop into the Nelson or the Crane if you fancy a pint or 2.

Cheers

Groyney

wow....

Though to many people you are a ledgend including myself, personaly I think you got a right cheek to come on here and moan about respect! what your doing is somthing that from my mind no other player has done before thus making it hard to believe for some for example look at how many failed comebacks Gazza has had!
Football is an opinionated game there will always be people who think you will be past it or will still have it but what you need is to let your skills do the talking, nobody is judging you here least of all Spanish shrimper (Mike) who is only being sceptical as you can understand many people would but that dont mean in any way shape or form that he or we as a community don't respect you!

TrueBlue,

I think with respect,you are missing the point of what i was trying to point out clearly,which is everyone is entitled to their opinion of me in any way that they like when it comes to football.i never have pretended to want to escape criticism on the wish to play again,i knew it would come,and you are right,that is what football is about.However,where i make my point,is that after reading several threads generally about you guys,whats happening at the club etc,i don't believe it is anyones "right" to be disrespectful about ANYONES mental state,especially when it is used to back up stereotypical views,as to "not being fit to play",or manage,or coach or walk or talk by the way some people comment.As someone then who has made comments and posts over 3 years on here,i hope my views are taken as seriously(or not) as anyone elses.I would come on here all day and argue with anyone about football and any other topic but i would NEVER come on here,amongst people i generally respect and question their ability to do a job,be it play or manage,based on a tabloid,cartoon character image of me which is based on the ignorance surrounding mental illnesses,such as depression,which by proxy get lumped together with every other strand of mental trauma(Schizophrenia and the likes),creating the myth the "Stan Collymore is mad,a fruitloop,etc etc).This was the point that i was trying to address,not whether Mike is valid or not in his opinions....

Stan

[b said:
Quote[/b] (stan collymore @ Oct. 17 2006,06:17)]TrueBlue,

I think with respect,you are missing the point of what i was trying to point out clearly,which is everyone is entitled to their opinion of me in any way that they like when it comes to football.i never have pretended to want to escape criticism on the wish to play again,i knew it would come,and you are right,that is what football is about.However,where i make my point,is that after reading several threads generally about you guys,whats happening at the club etc,i don't believe it is anyones "right" to be disrespectful about ANYONES mental state,especially when it is used to back up stereotypical views,as to "not being fit to play",or manage,or coach or walk or talk by the way some people comment.As someone then who has made comments and posts over 3 years on here,i hope my views are taken as seriously(or not) as anyone elses.I would come on here all day and argue with anyone about football and any other topic but i would NEVER come on here,amongst people i generally respect and question their ability to do a job,be it play or manage,based on a tabloid,cartoon character image of me which is based on the ignorance surrounding mental illnesses,such as depression,which by proxy get lumped together with every other strand of mental trauma(Schizophrenia and the likes),creating the myth the "Stan Collymore is mad,a fruitloop,etc etc).This was the point that i was trying to address,not whether Mike is valid or not in his opinions....

Stan
Point taken Stan....

... so a return to Roots Hall on the cards?
biggrin.gif

Stan, great to hear from you. You are the best and most exciting player we have ever had. Everytime you received or won the ball a thrill went through the crowd. I remember the game away at Bristol Rovers when you turned the game round in the second half. Your goal was wonderful. Later I saw that I was caught on T.V. going mad, hanging onto the fence as you came up to celebrate with us. My wife saying, why did I show myself up for all to see.

Let's hope you get a second chance. Many people in life do not get one. You know, better than anyone that you have been a silly sod at times, missing out useing your great talent to the full.

If you cannot return at the top level, I am sure that us S.U.F.C. supporters would love you to return, if our Manager & Chairman think it a good idea. Unfortunately, the problem they have just had with a forward with a negative history, might make them hold back.

The thought of an Eastwood, Collymore partnership is mouthwatering.

I can just see you in my mind running out at our NEW GROUND.

Well done for having the gutts to try again.

biggrin.gif

My only wishes for the club are that they stay in the Championship this season,simply because it will give the board,the manager and the players the platform to move the club forward,both on and off the pitch.Financially it can only enhance the coffers so that the club can bring in players that can push them onto the next level,in my experience the type of players that the club should be lookig at will only come to a club that is settled in the division,so again,staying up really should be the only priority,and im sure it is.Then i'd say the stadium.Roots Hall for a lot of people is very special but having the club in a state of the art facilty,that again can grow the fiancial side of the club,again attracting top marque players is a must,and in my opinion,there is no reason why with that kind of facility,a big catchment area,and a settled championship team in Southend,that the unthinkable now can happen in the not too distant future.Ive said all along that i hope at some stage in my life i will get the chance to help the club that helped me,and by that i mean in ANY way,whether it be recommending an 11 year old Brummie kid that is up and coming,or just help publicise the club in any way that i could,and i believe i expressed that to Ron Martin 3 years ago,so all he has to do is ask!

Stan

yo stan...

u going 2 reply to my myspace mes?
rock.gif

aka Gibbo

tounge.gif

Hi Stan,

Have you given any consideration to re-joining the Blues?

I know you stated that you would only return to a Prem Club - though your agent (allegedly) said that there where one or two exceptions outside of that - one being Southend??

Tilly hasn't exactly ruled the idea out either during a recent interview...

Anyway, glad you are getting back to a place you are happy with and best of luck where ever you end up - we'd all back you!!

Paul.

Stan, good to see you posting on here again.

Hope all's well with yourself!

If you do make a comeback, i'd love to see you back in a Southend shirt. I'm sure you could do it in the Championship, maybe the Premiership is a step too high at the moment, who knows.

I'll never forget that first game against Notts County!

All the best,

Tony

The main benefit here is that SC isn't attached to a club, so in theory he could sign tomorrow!

That said I don't think Tilly or RM would go for it...

I would love to see you back at the Hall Stan. If you say you are fit enough then you are fit enough.

I am unable to speak for everyone but I can tell you that my little group of long term Shrimpers, which is about 15 strong, have nothing but total respect for you. Only one other of our  group posts on here very occasionally but if they all did they would say you remain a Southend hero and you would be welcomed back without question.

We all make mistakes in life and most of us learn something along the way. You have achieved a hell of a lot against the crippling effects of a serious illness. If anyone doubts you Stan then make sure you prove them wrong!

Good luck to you. I hope you make a successfull return to football and I also hope it's with us.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (londonblue @ Oct. 17 2006,08:12)]The main benefit here is that SC isn't attached to a club, so in theory he could sign tomorrow!

That said I don't think Tilly or RM would go for it...
I don't think in our current position we can afford to rule anything out.

Stan, if you were able to reproduce some of the magic you showed us 13 years ago, then I would love to see you back.

I always like seeing you big up the Shrimpers in various interviews you do. Don't worry about the few negative people on here, I do think the overwhelming majority of fans still hold you in very high regard.

Up the Stanley!

Good luck with your endeavours Stan..I hope you get the chance to try a comeback.. Wether it works out or not just having a go takes some balls as you know so many people will be hoping you fail.. Love to see you try out for us again but why do I get the sinking feeling that next time we see you play you will be slotting a goal against us ..
wink.gif

Thanks for the comments chaps,as always,they are very humbling...

All i am doing at the moment is getting fit,with a view in the coming weeks to see what opportunities are open at the level that i believe i can perform well at(otherwise,whats the point,right?).For me,i know what that level is,so it makes total sense to pursue that avenue.However,i understand that clubs at ANY level,regardless of whether i turn up as superman,batman and spiderman combined will still say no because of perceptions,and that i have to be realistic about.

As i said earlier,i have no agenda with Southend United other than to be of service at some stage in the future,should they need me,just as any former player that enjoyed their time at a club,so regarding me an d playing for the club,it is a real non issue for the club and for me,as the club are directing their focus on getting weekly results,planning a new stadium etc,and i am focusing purely on maximising my fitness with a view to seeing where i am in the coming weeks and months.I want to avoid the situation that i myself created last time(manager vacancy 2003) where by chatting openly to you guys here,the club was put somewhat in a position whenever my name cropped up.This time im here on the forum as a punter,that happens to be topical again right now,which makes people put 2 and 2 together,making 5.I am here for the club should they need me,and i don't believe that is in conflict with pursuing a career in football again .A long winded answer i guess but honest!!! Football though as we all know can be very,very strange,and if there were ever a time that the club needed me,they know that they would only get the very best of me.

Stan

Fair play Stan..

I hope you find yourself a Prem club, but if you don't, I hope SUFC are top of your list for a playing return...

I also hope Ron and Tilly read this, and realise just how much you love this club and want to help us...

Your a legend mate, we all love you, and I hope we get to see you terrorising defences again in an SUFC shirt!!.

Ooooooooooohhhh Stanley, Stanley....., Stanley, Stanley, Stanley, Stanley Collymore.

wink.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (stan collymore @ Oct. 17 2006,05:36)]Hi everyone,its been a long time!!! Nice to see that the Spanish shrimper is still a miserable tw&t,harking for the days of a Billy Best & Jimmy Shankley.As for the guys i chatted to a couple of years ago,i hope you are all well!
Stan, I am the very same "tw&t" you spoke to on the phone a couple of years ago ... with all due respect, my opinions (for that is what they are) did not extend to cheap jibes about your mental state. I merely queried whether a return would be right for the club. As for Best and Shanks? Merely a comparison, my friend.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (stan collymore @ Oct. 17 2006,09:02)]Thanks for the comments chaps,as always,they are very humbling...

All i am doing at the moment is getting fit,with a view in the coming weeks to see what opportunities are open at the level that i believe i can perform well at(otherwise,whats the point,right?).For me,i know what that level is,so it makes total sense to pursue that avenue.However,i understand that clubs at ANY level,regardless of whether i turn up as superman,batman and spiderman combined will still say no because of perceptions,and that i have to be realistic about.

As i said earlier,i have no agenda with Southend United other than to be of service at some stage in the future,should they need me,just as any former player that enjoyed their time at a club,so regarding me an d playing for the club,it is a real non issue for the club and for me,as the club are directing their focus on getting weekly results,planning a new stadium etc,and i am focusing purely on maximising my fitness with a view to seeing where i am in the coming weeks and months.I want to avoid the situation that i myself created last time(manager vacancy 2003) where by chatting openly to you guys here,the club was put somewhat in a position whenever my name cropped up.This time im here on the forum as a punter,that happens to be topical again right now,which makes people put 2 and 2 together,making 5.I am here for the club should they need me,and i don't believe that is in conflict with pursuing a career in football again .A long winded answer i guess but honest!!! Football though as we all know can be very,very strange,and if there were ever a time that the club needed me,they know that they would only get the very best of me.

Stan
Fair play to you Stan!

Just hope something turns up for you.

We all make mistakes in our life, and deserve another chance.

How would you feel if Southend offered you a lifeline of say a contract till the end of the season, or a pay as you play deal?

I'm sure the majority (including myself) would love to see you and Freddy up front this season!

Stan

Great that you could find the time to 'drop in' and update us on your current position.

While a number of the older fans here show an element of doubt, scepticism even, over your proposed return to professional football, i have no doubts, provided that you have regained match fitness, that you will make a great success with whoever you should join. If Teddy Sheringham can still produce the magic at 40, then i can see no reason why you can't.

My only concern is that the Premisership may be a bit faster now than it was when you last played at that level, and with all due respect, the players are younger (and dare i say physically fitter) than you are at this moment. The defenders are quicker, and wiser, and the speed of the game is such that i would have reservations as to whether you could adapt to this. Personally, i think the Premiership may be a step to far at the moment, and that playing in the Championshipm against lesser players with more time and space available, would be better for you, and would be far more suitable to the Stan we all fondly remember from your days at Roots Hall.

Like many, i would love to see you pull on the Southend shirt again, not for nostalgia, but because i believe that you can still do it, will still do it, and because you will be amongst friends who share a common interest . . . . the future success of our beloved football club.

Like many of the fans who contribute to this board, i was lucky enough to witness you as a Southend player, and how we all were united in happiness when we avoided relegation with the victory over Luton Town, which sadly, was to be your last appearance for us before moving to Forest. If this is, indeed, the last time you will be seen in a Southend United shirt, then i will continue to cherish that moment as i have until this day. If you should happen to return, then i will be supporting you along with thousands of others keen to see you 'do the business' once again.

Should you decide that your return is away from Roots Hall then i am sure that you have the very best wishes from all supporters of Southend United FC

Al

Back