• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (stan collymore @ Oct. 19 2006,22:26)]My favourite...

Home goal= Millwal at home FA CUP
Away Goal=Huddersfield away FA CUP,Oxford away,league.
Atmosphere=Home v West Ham,Sheff Wed Away,FA Cup(yellow and blue balloons,awesome support)
Moment=V Luton at home,last day of the season,best moment in football full stop.
Funny moment=Santa and the fancy dress crew at Huddersfield away.
Training method=Colin Murphy giving us cricket catching and batting practice.
It means a lot to me (and others I am sure) that you even cherish these memories. A while back there was an interview with Richard Cadette. He wasnt in your league Stan but was idolised. He said that he could hardly remember his time at Southend and was surprised that he was considered a hero.

Whilst that disappointed me, you were quoted as saying that you would walk on glass to play for Southend when you were at Forest, I never forgot that and you have remained a fan of the fans here.

I thought your most memorable game was at home to Grimsby when Mendonca had put them one up. You simply smacked one in from 30 yards and then another about two minutes later from 35 yards! Quality!!!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (shrimperian @ Oct. 19 2006,22:42)]
[b said:

Atmosphere=Home v West Ham,Sheff Wed Away,FA Cup(yellow and blue balloons,awesome support)
Moment=V Luton at home,last day of the season,best moment in football full stop.
It means a lot to me (and others I am sure) that you even cherish these memories. A while back there was an interview with Richard Cadette. He wasnt in your league Stan but was idolised. He said that he could hardly remember his time at Southend and was surprised that he was considered a hero.

Whilst that disappointed me, you were quoted as saying that you would walk on glass to play for Southend when you were at Forest, I never forgot that and you have remained a fan of the fans here.

I thought your most memorable game was at home to Grimsby when Mendonca had put them one up. You simply smacked one in from 30 yards and then another about two minutes later from 35 yards! Quality!!!
rock.gif
Can't remember that game myself.

[b said:

Now, Colin Murphy .... THERE'S someone for Perth Shrimper to analyse!

It's a common misconception that you came into Roots Hall along with Barry Fry, Stan (not with Shrimpers, mind, but to the football public at large).

I was always fascinated with Murphy and his training techniques, his poetry, etc - he sounded an absolute nutcase in the Vic Reeves mould that had method to his madness.  Lincoln fans, in particular, might concur with that.

Did he do anything other than cricket that set training sessions apart from other managers?  I can imagine his team-talks being somewhat like a script from "Forrest Gump."

Can you bring any light on what life at Southend under Murphy was like Stan?  (It's great, mind, to see he has a protege in Iain Holloway - likening QPR as a night out with a tart - proper surreal he is!).

[b said:
Quote[/b] (OneDreweBroughton @ Oct. 19 2006,23:18)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (shrimperian @ Oct. 19 2006,22:42)]
[b said:

It means a lot to me (and others I am sure) that you even cherish these memories.  A while back there was an interview with Richard Cadette.  He wasnt in your league Stan but was idolised.  He said that he could hardly remember his time at Southend and was surprised that he was considered a hero.

I thought your most memorable game was at home to Grimsby when Mendonca had put them one up.  You simply smacked one in from 30 yards and then another about two minutes later from 35 yards!  Quality!!!
rock.gif
Can't remember that game myself.
No nor do I actually and it appears from Robin's database we beat Grimsby 1-0 at home with Stan scoring the winner. There is 1 mistake on there though I think as I seem to remember it was a Johnny Cornwell rocket at Cambridge on the penultimate day and not a goal for Stan.

[b said:

That sums you up Stan not just a great goalscorer but also a scorer of great goals. I can remember voting about 15 times for your stunner in the FA Cup at Huddersfield, still the only Southend United goal to ever appear on MotD. So many other though - Oxford away, a nothing game until it was lit up by a wonder strike vital to our chances of survival, the 2 screamers against Bristol Rovers, the both against Notts County, the solo goals against Millwall and Brentford in the league, absolutely brilliant. Eastwood's similar you know, also a scorer of great goals and the only striker who even comes close to you since the good old days of the early 90's.

Just to show what a sad git I am does anyone else have the commentary of Stan's solo at Huddersfield in the FA Cup 4th Round engrained in their mind for all eternity or is it just me?

"Stan Collymore.......only knows one way......Huddersfield in retreat and it's certainly up for him here........Stan Collymore, what a goal, what a BUY for Southend!!!"

Never a truer line has John Motson uttered than those last few words
biggrin.gif

Actually Stan something I've always wanted to know, what with Fry post-Luton (see below 2nd clip) saying the top 6 clubs in England were interested in you along with a couple from abroad was it your choice in the end to go to Forest and spend another season in Division One for more experience before the step up or was it just that Forest were the only side to match the asking price? And do you think staying in Division One and scoring 25+ goals for that one season helped you more than an immediate Premiership move in the long run?

By the way from your book re when Forest wanted to leave you out of the side after promotion to save them a potential £250k payment to Blues if you scored again, I can't think of many players who would be that bothered about their previous club and to insist you played AND then to get the goal to trigger the payment I thought showed what regard you had for Southend United and therefore it's no surprise to see you posting on here - long may that continue.

Luton clips if you haven't already seen them:

Luton game

Luton post-match

[b said:
Quote[/b] (shrimperian @ Oct. 19 2006,22:42)]A while back there was an interview with Richard Cadette.  He wasnt in your league Stan but was idolised.  He said that he could hardly remember his time at Southend and was surprised that he was considered a hero.
It was me that did that interview and you couldn't be more wrong.

Of all the players I've interviewed, only one couldn't remember much of his time at Southend. That was Paul sansome. Cadette knew the majority of his goals, his favourite players and so on. He knew he was a hero to most.

[b said:

upside.gif
laugh.gif

His training methods are clearly as bizarre as his programme notes...!

biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Napster @ Oct. 20 2006,11:30)]Of all the players I've interviewed, only one couldn't remember much of his time at Southend. That was Paul Sansome.
sad.gif
down.gif

Blimey. Sammy - an absolutely vital member of two promotion winning sides and an early SUFC hero of mine, and he can't really remember his time with us?! He spent, what, 5 or 6 seasons with us at least, didn't he?

Gutted.

sad.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ Oct. 20 2006,11:39)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Napster @ Oct. 20 2006,11:30)]Of all the players I've interviewed, only one couldn't remember much of his time at Southend. That was Paul Sansome.
sad.gif

down.gif

Blimey.  Sammy - an absolutely vital member of two promotion winning sides and an early SUFC hero of mine, and he can't really remember his time with us?!  He spent, what, 5 or 6 seasons with us at least, didn't he?

Gutted.

sad.gif
I know. He really didn't even want to do the interview, and he gave me lots of one-word responses, even the best save bit, was answered along the lines of, "I made the save then concentrated on the match, can't remember more than 3 or 4 i made"

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ Oct. 20 2006,11:39)]Blimey.  Sammy - an absolutely vital member of two promotion winning sides and an early SUFC hero of mine, and he can't really remember his time with us?!  He spent, what, 5 or 6 seasons with us at least, didn't he?
Sammy played in the charity game the other day. Looked exactly the same as all those years ago and made some great stops and looked really good. He was talking with Benji & Ansah in the bar after so hopefully they may have reminded him of some of the time with us.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Napster @ Oct. 20 2006,11:47)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ Oct. 20 2006,11:39)]
[b said:
sad.gif

down.gif

Blimey.  Sammy - an absolutely vital member of two promotion winning sides and an early SUFC hero of mine, and he can't really remember his time with us?!  He spent, what, 5 or 6 seasons with us at least, didn't he?

Gutted.

sad.gif
I know. He really didn't even want to do the interview, and he gave me lots of one-word responses, even the best save bit, was answered along the lines of, "I made the save then concentrated on the match, can't remember more than 3 or 4 i made"
Nice to know Sammy hasn't changed from when I was interviewing him for Blues News and the matchday programme 15 years ago!

That's very surprising...on the pitch he always acknowledged us in The North Bank and I have fond memories of singing "England's number 1"...and really meaning it. He'll always be one of my all-time heroes and I still maintain he's the best keeper we ever had.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (The Bloke In The Pram Shop @ Oct. 20 2006,13:03)]That's very surprising...on the pitch he always acknowledged us in The North Bank and I have fond memories of singing "England's number 1"...and really meaning it. He'll always be one of my all-time heroes and I still maintain he's the best keeper we ever had.
I too remember those happy days in the North bank, and I agree he was a fantastic keeper for us.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (The Bloke In The Pram Shop @ Oct. 20 2006,13:03)]That's very surprising...on the pitch he always acknowledged us in The North Bank and I have fond memories of singing "England's number 1"...and really meaning it. He'll always be one of my all-time heroes and I still maintain he's the best keeper we ever had.
Fantastic keeper though he was I'd still go with Royce.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Napster @ Oct. 20 2006,12:30)]Of all the players I've interviewed, only one couldn't remember much of his time at Southend. That was Paul sansome.
I wish I could forget the time he dropped the ball over the line at home to Oxford United ...

glare.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Xàbia Shrimper @ Oct. 20 2006,16:47)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Napster @ Oct. 20 2006,12:30)]Of all the players I've interviewed, only one couldn't remember much of his time at Southend. That was Paul sansome.
I wish I could forget the time he dropped the ball over the line at home to Oxford United ...

glare.gif
FORGET about it? I'm still LAUGHING about it!!
laugh.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Angell Delight @ Oct. 20 2006,16:46)]
[b said:
Fantastic keeper though he was I'd still go with Royce.
here we go, it's like Bart v Flavs for grown ups!
biggrin.gif

Can i give my pen pics of the lads at the time??? In no particular order,just off the top of my head.

Sammy=lovely fella,quietish but always a reassuring influence around the club.great goalkeeper
Andy Ansah=South London rudebwoy!!! great laugh,always smiling,no suprise he's blagged his way into telly!!
Spinner=The original trigger(only fools),always having the p**s taken out of him with some joke or other but again,good lad,good laugh
Tilly=Contrary to a myth on this board,Tilly and i got on really well(there honestly wasn't one player i didn't generally get on with),Tilly was more embeded in the area,and as someone who travelled from Croydon everyday,naturally hung out more with the lads that came in from london.I think to put the rumour to bed once and for all,i wouldnt be seen dead near anyones testimonial that i didnt have more than a healthy professional and personal liking and respect for,so there!
Davie Martin=Got to be honest,have a real soft spot for Dave.Old school pro,always had a bag full of videos(dont ask) or something to sell the lads.as near to dell boy as ive met in life,full stop.Honest player,the hub of the dressing room banter.
Andy Sussex=one of the quieter guys,nonetheless,always joined in the crack.
Adam Locke=the thickest man ive ever met,made spinner look like einstein but again as part of the south london posse,we tended to have the crack a lot.
Brett=Great pro,always wanted to do loads of finishing at the end of training,and work onhis game,which paid off with moves later on.
Pat Scully=loveable irishman,big,old school centre half that was again one of the focuses in the dressing room when it came to spinning yarns and banter.
John Cornwell=Great pro,had been around the football block,and although loved a laugh like the rest of the lads,with john he had an extra air about him which for me,made him the key man in the dresing room who all of the lads looked to for experienced words.
Eagle=never stopped smiling! again,always joined in and gave as good as he got in the dressing room.you could see he would go on to be a very good fullback.
Jonah=Great lad,south london posse again,one of the most underated players ive played with,and a great fella to boot.
Powelly=Unofficial leader of the south london posse,powelly was always at he hub of organising the london side of the social calendar! Great bloke,great player who ii in particular knew if i held the ball up on the left side of the park,powelly would be within 100 yards galloping down the flank,thouroughly desrevd international recognition.

Over all there isnt one player hand on heart that i cantsay i didnt get on with and loved my time playing with.forgive me for any glaring ommissions,im doing this on the hoof,so if anyone wants to askabout the other lads at the club at that time,i'll do my best!!

Back