• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Midfield

Midfield - 4 divided by 7=controversy

• Gower  Maher  Bentley  Pettefer

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cole  Maher  Smith  Pettefer

• Cole  Maher  Smith  Gower

• Cole  Guttridge  Bentley  Smith

• Cole  Guttridge  Smith  Gower

• Gower  Maher  Smith  Pettefer

• Cole  Smith  Bentley  Gower

• Cole  Maher  Smith  Guttridge

• Gower  Maher  Bentley  Smith

• Cole  Maher  Smith  Bentley

• Total voters
With the discussion of Guttridge and Smith, and also Maher and Beno, not forgetting new boy Cole, and when/if fit devistating Gower, i thought, as we all have pondered who plays in the midfield next season.

Im sticking to four midfielders, because i can in no way see Tilly not using 4-4-2, unless he plays a man off of Freddy, but that is too complex, and then just dont factor than man you think he will play off Freddy, as he would not be in your midfield four.

So basically pick one, i think this could be one of the most split polls ever, but who knows maybe we will all just leave out Maher

Not bothered about who on what wing, with Gower and Petts etc, just the four.

tounge.gif

My favoured 4 are:

Cole Guttridge Smith Gower

However, my concern then is a lack of height and a physical presence in the middle.

For that reason one of Gutts and Smith would make way for Bents or Maher. Probably Bentley....

Aahhhhh! What a nightmare - I think Guttridge is quality and it is so harsh leaving out Benno, but I went for...

Cole Smith Maher Gower

What a choice though! Best in the division??

[b said:
Quote[/b] (pboreham @ July 20 2005,17:53)]Aahhhhh! What a nightmare - I think Guttridge is quality and it is so harsh leaving out Benno, but I went for...

Cole Smith  Maher  Gower

What a choice though! Best in the division??
Best selection in the league for sure, looks like i may be right, first 6 of 7 selections all different

Surely the title of the thread should have read which 3 of 6 midfielders will play alongside Kev (Capt Fantastic) Maher.

Not because it's the usual ORM diatribe but it is a plain and simple fact that Maher is Club Captain and as long as he is not injured, suspended or off-form (unlikely
biggrin.gif
) he is the first name on the teamsheet.

Gower= Waste of space, worst player on pitch last night, always carrying a niggle, don't tackle back, time to move on, living on past glories!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (wiggy @ July 20 2005,17:58)]Gower= Waste of space, worst player on pitch last night, always carrying a niggle, don't tackle back, time to move on, living on past glories!
do me and many others a favour and $%&* off!

Wiggy, you have 308 posts. Are 308 of them negative too? You havent a good word to say about anyone except Darryl
rock.gif

Smith shouldn't be rushed into this season. Don't forget he hasn't played for a very long time.

Maher has to play because he keeps the play moving, tracks runners and put his foot in. Cole has to play because he gives us another attacking dimension and good balance.

I think Bentley has to play because he gives us strnegth and drive, gets ahead of the ball and wins a lot in the air at set plays.

For me the hardest position is on the right. Gower's fitness is frequently in question and can leave the right back exposed (with Cole doing something similar on the other flank may be a little risky). Smith and Guttridge will be two of our most important players this season and both are class acts. I'd go with Guttridge to begin with, but they are both very similar. If they both stay fit through the season then we'll do alright.

We are very strong in midfield, and we have many types of player in that area. Don't be surprised when we go to places like Bradford and Tranmere if we go in with Peteffer in place of Cole for some solidity.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Tweedy @ July 20 2005,18:08)]wiggy your absolutely correct
Why do you think it is that you two are always in such complete agreement, and yet everyone else on here (bar none) thinks you both talk utter sloblock?

If you could explain this reasonably, without resorting to swearing, defaming others or questioning their parentage, then I might start to see where you're coming from...

[b said:
Quote[/b] (neil @ July 20 2005,18:11)]Smith shouldn't be rushed into this season. Don't forget he hasn't played for a very long time.
True, but he has been building up to this all summer, since about March/April I believe? He will also have had the benefit of a full pre-season, so he should by rights be absolutely 100% by the time we kick off against Port Vale...

I reckon he'll be ok fitness-wise if called upon

smile.gif

Once Smith is 100% fit I'd go for:

Cole    Maher     Smith     Gower

BUT with the number of quality midfielders we've got (and I never thought I'd be saying that again about Southend United) no one should be guaranteed a place. Maher is captain and deserves to start, but if he isn't delivering then he warms the bench as far as I'm concerned. Same with Gower. I've backed him all the way, even after the Wrexham LDV final, but if he's not playing well then give someone else a go.

Its a very, very tough position and I wouldn't mind betting that Tilly and Brush don't even know the midfield four. It will change a bit during the course of the season, in my opinion. For example, having both Gower and Cole on the wings at home Vs the lesser teams and Petts and either Cole or Gower when we travel to the likes of Forest, Bristol City, Bradford etc.

I'd go for

Cole Maher Bentley Gower

But I wouldn't mind betting that Petts will play instead of Gower in that 4 come 6th August. Incidently, where was Petts last night?

I have a horrible feeling that the midfield is going to end up unbalanced. What we achieved last year was a good blend in midfield. By trying to slot Smith, Guttridge and Cole in we risk losing that balance.

Personally I can't see how anyone can contemplate leaving out Benno. His work-rate, commitment, strength and off the ball running has been what has made this team tick. No-one else can match him in these areas and for this reason I think he must start.

Alongside him is a tough call, Maher anchored the midfield last season, but I think Guttridge could excel in that role whilst also offering more going forward. However Jay Smith is the class act in the squad. Picking him would radically change the balance of the midfield, however with Pettefer (or maybe even Guttridge) on the right this wouldn't necessarily leave us short (in terms of numbers, if not height) defensively. Out on the left would then be Gower, or if he lives up to his billing Cole.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (neil @ July 20 2005,18:11)]Don't be surprised when we go to places like Bradford and Tranmere if we go in with Peteffer in place of Cole for some solidity.
Another good point... I can see players such as Bentley and Pettefer getting a lot of games away from home, where defending will be much more important.

At home though, creativity will be the key - so I can see Cole on the left and Gower on the right being the way forward...

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Spaceman Spiff @ July 20 2005,18:16)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (neil @ July 20 2005,18:11)]Don't be surprised when we go to places like Bradford and Tranmere if we go in with Peteffer in place of Cole for some solidity.
Another good point... I can see players such as Bentley and Pettefer getting a lot of games away from home, where defending will be much more important.

At home though, creativity will be the key - so I can see Cole on the left and Gower on the right being the way forward...
Exactly what I said.

Where is the option in the poll for other? You haven't got Cole Maher Bentley Gower as an option, unless my sight is letting me down.

Back