• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Midfield

Midfield - 4 divided by 7=controversy

• Gower  Maher  Bentley  Pettefer

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cole  Maher  Smith  Pettefer

• Cole  Maher  Smith  Gower

• Cole  Guttridge  Bentley  Smith

• Cole  Guttridge  Smith  Gower

• Gower  Maher  Smith  Pettefer

• Cole  Smith  Bentley  Gower

• Cole  Maher  Smith  Guttridge

• Gower  Maher  Bentley  Smith

• Cole  Maher  Smith  Bentley

• Total voters
[b said:
Quote[/b] (BoyWonder2 @ July 20 2005,18:18)]Where is the option in the poll for other? You haven't got Cole Maher Bentley Gower as an option, unless my sight is letting me down.
Will you stop posting!

I'm trying to catch up your total!

tounge.gif
biggrin.gif

I was on hoilday for two weeks and you still haven't caught up yet, shame on you
tounge.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Spaceman Spiff @ July 20 2005,18:16)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (neil @ July 20 2005,18:11)]Don't be surprised when we go to places like Bradford and Tranmere if we go in with Peteffer in place of Cole for some solidity.
Another good point... I can see players such as Bentley and Pettefer getting a lot of games away from home, where defending will be much more important.

At home though, creativity will be the key - so I can see Cole on the left and Gower on the right being the way forward...
Bentley will always play, his defending is one of the things he's good at, tall good at heading, good box to box player. I think Gower will be the one who warms the bench quite a bit this year.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (scamps @ July 20 2005,18:24)]I think Gower will be the one who warms the bench quite a bit this year.
Agreed - unless he can rediscover his form of a couple of years ago...

If he can, then with him on the right and Cole on the left we're in for a very exciting year!

biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Spaceman Spiff @ July 20 2005,18:25)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (BoyWonder2 @ July 20 2005,18:23)]I was on hoilday for two weeks and you still haven't caught up yet, shame on you
tounge.gif
tounge.gif

wink.gif
You really are trying your hardest aren't you
tounge.gif

I leave for football training in 15 minutes, then off to the pub, if you don't beat me by the time I'm back I will be dissappointed.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Spaceman Spiff @ July 20 2005,17:57)]And where does this all leave Petts?

sad.gif

By the looks of things, he's not going to get many games...
I'll live ...

oops.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Spaceman Spiff @ July 20 2005,18:26)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (scamps @ July 20 2005,18:24)]I think Gower will be the one who warms the bench quite a bit this year.
Agreed - unless he can rediscover his form of a couple of years ago...

If he can, then with him on the right and Cole on the left we're in for a very exciting year!

biggrin.gif
I'm completely at a loss as to why he's struggling to regain his form of his first season.

On tuesday, along with Wilson and Wright, I thought had a poor game. Gower showed glimpses and retained the ball well but wasn't beating his man, or even attempting to do so. Its becoming a bit of a worry, hopefully it will all come good when the 6th August roles round.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (BoyWonder2 @ July 20 2005,18:26)]I leave for football training in 15 minutes, then off to the pub, if you don't beat me by the time I'm back I will be dissappointed.
I might even get there before you go...

wink.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (The General @ July 20 2005,18:28)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Spaceman Spiff @ July 20 2005,17:57)]And where does this all leave Petts?

sad.gif

By the looks of things, he's not going to get many games...
I'll live ...

oops.gif
Lets not start that again!

ghostface.gif

Petts is under-rated, IMO

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Spaceman Spiff @ July 20 2005,18:29)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (BoyWonder2 @ July 20 2005,18:26)]I leave for football training in 15 minutes, then off to the pub, if you don't beat me by the time I'm back I will be dissappointed.
I might even get there before you go...

wink.gif
Its certainly looking that way.

Impossible poll. Here's why.

Any decent manager always seks versatility in his squad. Why? Because he needs to be able to pick different teams to exploit different opposition. for example, last year we needed the strength of Bentley in the middle against very physical teams like Lincoln, whereas against teams which sat back and defended (Chester comes to mind) we needed skilful midfielders capable of picking apart a packed defence with a knife-through-butter pass or run, like Maher or Smith.

We also need to balance attacking with defending midfielders. I have a slight concern that when Maher is not out there, we don't have a naturally defensive midfielder, who can dictate play from in front of the back 4. Guttridge, Bentley, Smith and Gower all prefer to puch forward - the only other midfielder who I would be confident of hanging back is Pettefer, with perhaps Hunt there too (but he then restricts defensive choie playing there). Therefore I think any first choice midfield has to include either Maher or Pettefer.

So I honestly think more than one of those options would be best on different days.

That said, the sexiest prospect in terms of flair and effectiveness I think would be Gower, Smith, Maher, Cole (assuming, of course, that they're all on top form).

[b said:
Quote[/b] (BoyWonder2 @ July 20 2005,18:28)]I'm completely at a loss as to why he's struggling to regain his form of his first season.

On tuesday, along with Wilson and Wright, I thought had a poor game. Gower showed glimpses and retained the ball well but wasn't beating his man, or even attempting to do so. Its becoming a bit of a worry, hopefully it will all come good when the 6th August roles round.
We always seem to hear the same comment "he looks short of fitness"...

I'm beginning to wonder whether the injury isnt physical, its mental

rock.gif
sad.gif

Actually thought team looked excellent throughout last night except Gower. His place in the team can no longer be guaranteed as lots of lively back tracking youngsters were on show, whats negative about that? You lot can't even blame his white boots anymore!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (wiggy @ July 20 2005,18:33)]Actually thought team looked excellent throughout last night except Gower. His place in the team can no longer be guaranteed as lots of lively back tracking youngsters were on show, whats negative about that? You lot can't even blame his white boots anymore!
Fair enough, but dont you think your comments were a little on the harsh side?

rock.gif

It's one thing to say he's past his best, and generally not performing as he used to - which we all agree with - but lets just say you over-emphasised the point...

A bit more tact and we'd probably all have agreed with the point you were making!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (TrueBlue @ July 20 2005,18:01)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (wiggy @ July 20 2005,17:58)]Gower= Waste of space, worst player on pitch last night, always carrying a niggle, don't tackle back, time to move on, living on past glories!
do me and many others a favour and $%&* off!
Yes agreed, for god sake, keep your opinions to yourself Wiggy

My first choice option would probably be:

Cole Bentley Maher Gower

We NEED the physical presence of Bentley, especially without a physical striker, whilst no matter what certain people say, we can't do without and neither will do without Maher. So unfortunately Guttridge and Smith would miss out, but it's all going to be about who gets what injuries and who performs best this season because of the selection we have.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Andy_S @ July 20 2005,18:46)]We NEED the physical presence of Bentley
Agreed.

Bentley may be technically the weakest of the Maher, Guttridge, Smith and Bentley quartet. However, he is clearly the strongest physically and the comfortably tallest.

So, bizarrely, his place in the team might be the safest, depending on the opposition.

For teams that launch it through the air - and there will still be some at this level - Bets is a dead cert. For those teams that try to play it on the deck and dont have much height themselves, then Bents may miss out.

Back