• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Midfield

Midfield - 4 divided by 7=controversy

• Gower  Maher  Bentley  Pettefer

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cole  Maher  Smith  Pettefer

• Cole  Maher  Smith  Gower

• Cole  Guttridge  Bentley  Smith

• Cole  Guttridge  Smith  Gower

• Gower  Maher  Smith  Pettefer

• Cole  Smith  Bentley  Gower

• Cole  Maher  Smith  Guttridge

• Gower  Maher  Bentley  Smith

• Cole  Maher  Smith  Bentley

• Total voters
They don't like the harsh truth on ere, that's why so many have given up on this board, fed up with the ******* up to each other!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (wiggy @ July 20 2005,18:51)]They don't like the harsh truth on ere, that's why so many have given up on this board, fed up with the ******* up to each other!
Your posts are not the 'harsh truth', Wiggy, they are your opinion - which you are entitled to. That does not make them the 'truth'.

If you used slightly less confrontational language, you might find yourself in less confrontations...

oops.gif

Point taken Spliff, however some players like Gower can perform crap for so long yet can do no wrong. Don't remember the last time he went round someone and is about as effective as Steven Clark!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (scamps @ July 20 2005,19:03)]wiggy u female?
Some think so...

One things for certain though and that is that Wiggy needs to just chill out! Allow me to introduce you to the wonderful world of spliffs, wiggy...

biggrin.gif

Did I say that in a public place??

oops.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (wiggy @ July 20 2005,19:04)]Point taken Spliff, however some players like Gower can perform crap for so long yet can do no wrong. Don't remember the last time he went round someone and is about as effective as Steven Clark!
Good point!

Clark looked so good when he signed...

ghostface.gif
sad.gif

This is a really intriguing and tough topic. Possibly the most promising aspect is the fact that we should have genuine options from the bench this season, which we often lacked last time around. For example, having the luxury to bring on the likes of Jay Smith and Mark Gower if we are chasing a game and Petts if we need to tighten things up could be a very handy weapon indeed.

I'm really not sure about my preferred midfield four at the moment, though I'm planning to go to the Norwich game so I might be able to comment more effectively after that. As it stands I'm edging towards Cole-Maher-Guttridge-Bentley, which I don't think was one of the poll options.

biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Spaceman Spiff @ July 20 2005,18:49)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Andy_S @ July 20 2005,18:46)]We NEED the physical presence of Bentley
Agreed.

Bentley may be technically the weakest of the Maher, Guttridge, Smith and Bentley quartet. However, he is clearly the strongest physically and the comfortably tallest.

So, bizarrely, his place in the team might be the safest, depending on the opposition.

For teams that launch it through the air - and there will still be some at this level - Bets is a dead cert. For those teams that try to play it on the deck and dont have much height themselves, then Bents may miss out.
Watching the game last night, I was impressed at how strong Guttridge and Smith were on the ball and I recall an incident when it took a player twice the size of Jay hacking him, in order to get him off the ball, Bentley may well be the tallest and better in the air, but I wouldn't think that if he isn't playing that we don't have strength in the midfield.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Spaceman Spiff @ July 20 2005,19:06)]
[b said:
Some think so...

One things for certain though and that is that Wiggy needs to just chill out! Allow me to introduce you to the wonderful world of spliffs, wiggy...

biggrin.gif

oops.gif
So know one knows?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (scamps @ July 20 2005,19:20)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Spaceman Spiff @ July 20 2005,19:06)]
[b said:
Some think so...

biggrin.gif

oops.gif
So know one knows?
I sure Wiggy knows.

Scamps - why don't you ask Wiggy out on a date and then you'll know for sure.
wink.gif

I'd actualy like to see Cole-Maher-Bentley-Guttridge with Smith just behind Eastwood in a Paul Scholes type role.

Why have 7 people voted for playing Bentley on the WING?
rock.gif

I'd have Cole and Guttridge on the wings, with Maher and Smith in the middle. Sorry Beno, I just think Smith's a bit better. We really are spoilt for choice in midfield, though. Bear in mind Tilly loves Pettefer, too. It'll be interesting to see who he plays against Port Vale. I reckon he'll have Cole and Petts on the wings with Maher and Smith in the middle.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (shrimpboy @ July 20 2005,19:51)]Why have 7 people voted for playing Bentley on the WING?
rock.gif
Well, he can play there and has done to reasonable effect on a few occasions. In League 1 we'll have to play more intricate football in midfield so I would opt for either Smith or Guttridge to partner Maher rather than Bentley, whose first touch is still a bit rusty at times.

But I would include Bentley on the right - over Petts because I think we'll need a bit more dynamism this season, and currently over Gower due to his fitness problems. Plus, if we play Cole as an orthodox winger, Bentley on the other side could naturally tuck in, as Petts did last season, when the ball is on the left to keep us solid. Also, his height and strength will be valuable at set-pieces so we need to strike a balance. Bearing in mind we could name a team containing the likes of Flahavan, Hunt, Wilson, Maher, Guttridge, Smith and Eastwood, all of whom are on the small side, I think Bentley will be needed to add presence in both penalty areas.

There's method to your madness, regarding Bentley on the right... but I just cant see it to be honest.

I think he'll play in the centre of midfield in games where the extra physical presence is required.

smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (shrimpboy @ July 20 2005,19:51)]Why have 7 people voted for playing Bentley on the WING?
rock.gif

I'd have Cole and Guttridge on the wings, with Maher and Smith in the middle. Sorry Beno, I just think Smith's a bit better. We really are spoilt for choice in midfield, though. Bear in mind Tilly loves Pettefer, too. It'll be interesting to see who he plays against Port Vale. I reckon he'll have Cole and Petts on the wings with Maher and Smith in the middle.
I said they did not have to be played in the order they were written down, just voting for the four as a principle.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Spaceman Spiff @ July 20 2005,19:35)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (wiggy @ July 20 2005,18:33)]Actually thought team looked excellent throughout last night except Gower. His place in the team can no longer be guaranteed as lots of lively back tracking youngsters were on show, whats negative about that? You lot can't even blame his white boots anymore!
Fair enough, but dont you think your comments were a little on the harsh side?

rock.gif

It's one thing to say he's past his best, and generally not performing as he used to - which we all agree with - but lets just say you over-emphasised the point...

A bit more tact and we'd probably all have agreed with the point you were making!
Same as they were last week about Gutts being picked up from e-bay.

By all accounts, Gutts had a very good game against Millwall, yet did Wiggy come back on the board so quickly afterwards to praise Gutts and acknowledge his comments were, at least, rash?

Of course not. That's the whole problem with Wiggy.

As for the poll... absolutely impossible call. I think it'll have to be rotated according to opposition... if the players can operate in such a way.

Back