• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Midfield

Midfield - 4 divided by 7=controversy

• Gower  Maher  Bentley  Pettefer

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cole  Maher  Smith  Pettefer

• Cole  Maher  Smith  Gower

• Cole  Guttridge  Bentley  Smith

• Cole  Guttridge  Smith  Gower

• Gower  Maher  Smith  Pettefer

• Cole  Smith  Bentley  Gower

• Cole  Maher  Smith  Guttridge

• Gower  Maher  Bentley  Smith

• Cole  Maher  Smith  Bentley

• Total voters
Gutts had his best game in a blue shirt, it won't happen but move over Kev the crab!

These are only friendlies though, very misleading, i remember when Drewe Broughton and Michael Husbands looked the business and we thought we were on to something. Easy to impress [as Gillingham were] when the opposition are at half pace and let you run!

not neccesarily suggesting we switch tactics (tilly is obviously comfortable with 442 and it looks like the players are too), but with the squad balance the way it is at the moment, it's at least tempting to look at a 451 or even a chelsea-esque 433- 2 out of gower, cole and gray as the wide attacking players, with 3 central midfielders.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (overseas shrimper @ July 21 2005,07:12)]As for the poll... absolutely impossible call. I think it'll have to be rotated according to opposition... if the players can operate in such a way.
Spot on. That said, I think there will be a first choice, and it will probably be (working from right to left):

Guttridge Maher Smith Cole

It's a tough call between Benno & Smith for the central slot alongside Cap'n Kev. But I've a feeling it'll be Smith who, generally, just edges it.

Gutts should hopefully have the ability and versatility to play wide-right - although, to be honest, it'll be a very "tucked-in" role. But that's not a huge problem... we did OK last season without, really, much in the way of wing play at all...

rock.gif

But I think OS is right - there will be plenty of squad rotation, depending on opposition, fitness and bookings.

Matt

[b said:
Quote[/b] (wiggy @ July 21 2005,08:52)]These are only friendlies though, very misleading, i remember when Drewe Broughton and Michael Husbands looked the business and we thought we were on to something. Easy to impress [as Gillingham were] when the opposition are at half pace and let you run!
I never ever thought Husbands was promising, the friendly where everyone started raving about him when he used his pace to obtain 6/7 1-on-1's with the keeper, he did not hit the target once, i knew he was $%&*.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shrimper2thecore @ July 20 2005,23:30)]I said they did not have to be played in the order they were written down, just voting for the four as a principle.
I still cannot vote as I'm going to stand by last seasons success and would play:

Pettefer Maher Bentley Cole

Gray Eastwood

I think it would be very unfair on Bentley and Pettefer if they were dropped as in my opinion they were a major part of our success last season and deserve a chance to prove themselves.

I personally cannot see anything that warrants either Gower or Guttridge to automatically deserve a chance, and also Smith who should wait for his chance to come along.

In my opinion competition for places in midfield is the best it has been for many many years...

Fitness allowing, I reckon he'll start against VAle with Cole, Maher, Bentley and Gower. If Gower shows signs of hamstring or groin troubles, then Petts will be there.

Smith and Guttridge will be on the bench until Maher and/or Bentley get suspended (by end September?).

This season I think Gower will be ideal to come off the bench late and change the game.

Not being the biggset fan of Gower and Petts I went for Luke, Beno, Smith and Cole although I'd just as happily see Maher in there for Bentley/Smith when needed. It's definitely going to be a matter of rotation depending on the opposition but it's so nice to be using words like 'strength' and 'depth' when talking about the Southend midfield
smile.gif

I dont think Tilson would drop any of the players who served us so well last season. Hes not going to drop Petts or Bentley, 2 almost ever-presents last season. Also you put Gutts and Smith in there and there is no physical presence at all. Bentleys height makes up for the relative lack of height of Freddy and Wayne. He'll start with Petts Maher Bentley and Cole.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (overseas shrimper @ July 21 2005,10:23)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Einstein @ July 21 2005,11:10)]       Gray   Eastwood  
That's a bold move up front. Bet you had endless hours trying to pick our front two?

ghostface.gif
I was more trying to just show that Cole would definitely be on the left wing as Petts was playing there last year
tounge.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Song of the South Upper @ July 21 2005,10:49)]Right to left:

Petts - Smith - Bentley - Cole

if Smith wants to go forward, Petts can drop into the central place for cover.
You think Tilly will leave out Maher?? Dream on, Maher is club captain and was also nominated in the PFA league 2 team of last season.

However it is just great to see Jay Smith back and playing, I am sure he will be eased back into the side. So likely he will start from the bench in the early part of the season.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Beefy @ July 21 2005,11:35)]Not a single person has voted for the midfield that got us promoted.....
But we have Jay back and Cole has signed. Both are improvements.

In a bizarre way, I reckon Tilly and Brush are praying for injuries so their decision becomes easier!

wink.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (overseas shrimper @ July 21 2005,10:32)]Also, it may take a few more games in the reserves for Smith to get back to full fitness and sharpness.
I don't think so - he's had abot 6 months of careful work, all building up to this pre-season.

He's also having exactly the same pre-season training, matches and conditioning as the rest of the squad.

He'll be as fit as anyone come August 6th.

smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Beefy @ July 21 2005,11:35)]Not a single person has voted for the midfield that got us promoted.....
I tried to get as close to it as possible with Maher, Bentley & Pettefer still in the team. I just cannot put Gower in the team though as I have no idea why he isn't replicating the sort of form he did in his first season with us.

Plus you cannot get the team that got us promotion at Cardiff because Nicolau has left!!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Song of the South Upper @ July 21 2005,10:49)]Right to left:

Petts - Smith - Bentley - Cole

if Smith wants to go forward, Petts can drop into the central place for cover.
That would leave us horribly unbalanced though. If Smith pushes forward, which we know he will, and Petts comes infield to cover him, we have nobody playing wide right. It just wouldn't work.

It is a very difficult situation to be in, but Tilly will love it. If we say the midfield four is Gower Bentley Maher Cole, if one of them gets injured we have the likes of Guttridge, Smith and Petts to come in and replace them, a brilliant position to be in.

Now if only we were spoiled for choice upfront...

Back