• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Midfield

Midfield - 4 divided by 7=controversy

• Gower  Maher  Bentley  Pettefer

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cole  Maher  Smith  Pettefer

• Cole  Maher  Smith  Gower

• Cole  Guttridge  Bentley  Smith

• Cole  Guttridge  Smith  Gower

• Gower  Maher  Smith  Pettefer

• Cole  Smith  Bentley  Gower

• Cole  Maher  Smith  Guttridge

• Gower  Maher  Bentley  Smith

• Cole  Maher  Smith  Bentley

• Total voters
Was just about to post this as my very first topic but after skipping through the pages i found the same one.

This will cause tilly nightmares all season.
I would be tempted to try 4-5-1 in teh games v grays and madon with eastwood alone upfront. Jay smith or Gower playing behind him and maher bentley or guttridge in the middle with cole gower or petts on the wings.
No way can i choose 4 as there all around the same quality and all bring different qualities into the team. Guttridge looked hot v norwich as he read the game very well i must say.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (silentshrimper @ July 24 2005,15:04)]Was just about to post this as my very first topic but after skipping through the pages i found the same one.

This will cause tilly nightmares all season.
I would be tempted to try 4-5-1 in teh games v grays and madon with eastwood alone upfront. Jay smith or Gower playing behind him and maher bentley or guttridge in the middle with cole gower or petts on the wings.
No way can i choose 4 as there all around the same quality and all bring different qualities into the team. Guttridge looked hot v norwich as he read the game very well i must say.
in all honesty if the search for a striker continues to remain fruitless this isnt a bag idea
rock.gif

Very hard to choose to be honest, I think I would continue with Maher and Bentley in the middle, Guttridge on the right and Pettefer on the left. We have alot of options which is great and the players that do start know they have to perform to keep their place in the team.

honestly though theres no harm in trying it out in next 2 games, not to fond of peterfer as hes not as attacking minded as the others
tounge.gif

also u gotta remember theres hunt as well who can play midfield although hel b cover for defence.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Song of the South Upper @ July 21 2005,10:49)]Petts can drop into the central place for cover.
Which he does all the time anyway! Petts shouldn't be in the starting line up next season we have better wingers now.

To start this season I think I would choose:

Cole Maher Bentley Gower

I dont think we should drop Benno he has been superb and is so strong and gets stuck in alot I feel we would miss his physical presence big time if he was out. Maher is club captain so is guranteed a place and im sure will be his usual quality self spraying balls around and switching the play. I would go with Mitch on the left as from what we have seen he looks very skillful and looks to take people on which is something that was lacking sometimes last season. Gower if he is fit on the right as this will add an attacking dimension on the right aswell as the left which we didnt have last season. Not taking anything away from Petts though as he will come in on the right when we need a more defensive style of play. I would give Smithy a little bit more time to get fit before throwing him straight back in, we dont want to risk him to early dont need to say much about him though, pure class. And Guttridge to come in aswell, has looked class so far this pre season playing a similar role to Maher. This midfield really is full of qulaity and whatever 4 Tilly chooses to put out will im sure do a good job. Midfield really does look good this year
smile.gif

Very very tricky one. The thought of a midfield with Cole, Guttridge, Smith and Gower is mouthwatering but I doubt it would work because sadly other teams have attacking players too. I can only remember Gower playing wide right once last year and I thought he looked very good there but he clearly prefers playing left.

Frankly I think Cole may well push Gower out of the team and Gower may slip in at right mid.

In the middle, I think Maher has to start because of his defensive awareness and not to mention vast, vast experience. Next to him, I'd like to see Smith really.

Now, if I remember right, Smith puts himself about a bit and is a nuisance but I do have doubts over how much he can impose himself on cold Tuesday nights in a some sodden pitch miles away. Bentley brings this physical side in. Combined with this, he has a very professional attitude and brings a level of dynamism to the midfield that helps control the tempo of the game. Probably, for me, Bentley will edge this position for most games.

Oh, of course,then there is the form of Guttridge in pre-season that people have mentioned. I thought he showed glimpses of genuine class last season and he has the swagger that often implies talent. I'd be more than happy seeing him in the team.

So far, then, midfield is Cole, Maher and Bentley.

Right midfield, for me, offers both potential and a problem. I thought Petts did a superb job for Tilly in this position but there is no way he is a genuine attacking threat. With Cole in the team, this hopefully won't be a problem. However, you wonder whether Tilson can afford to leave the combined talents of Smith, Guttridge and Gower on the bench. If Gower 's fully fit and on form, I'd give him thi splace straight away.

After last year, though, Gower has to earn his place in my team. The problem with Smith and Guttridge, though is neither strike me as a winger. I thought Guttridge looked very out of sorts in that position although I reckon Smith may be able to do a job. I think I'd be very tempted to stick Bentley out wide because of his strength and stick Smith in the middle.

My midfield then would be Cole, Maher, Smith and Bentley. Petts probably harshly dealt with but you can't mess about after promotion. We cna't waste too much time toying with formations.

Back