• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

secondalibi

Coach
It would appear that Burnley manager Steve Cotterill felt that his side didn't deserve to lose. I'm sorry, but it's teams like Burnley and the way they play that ruin football for the paying public. Cotterill said he felt sorry for the fans who had made the trip down south to see their team lose so late in the game. I think he should give them their money back!!! I wouldn't travel miles to see Southend stick 10 men behind the ball and just hoof it up the other end. Don't be fooled by anyone who tells you different, Burnley made absolutely no attempt to win the game, they came to Roots Hall for a 0-0 and then have the cheek to moan when they lose in the 93rd minute. "Oh we're so unlucky". Burnley got exactly what they deserved, NOTHING! People pay to be entertained and team like Burnley are ripping fans off. When Southend play away, they try to win every game, there is none of this negative stuff. Burnley won't go down, but if they did I would feel sorry for league 1.

UP THE BLUES!!!

- G

Rose tinted specs there I think, you obviously didn't go to Turf Moor earlier this season when we parked the proverbial coach across the goal. The difference being we got the 0-0.

I don't disagree about being entertained, but at this stage of the season it's results that count.

I think Burnley WILL go down. 18 games without a win at this stage of the season and in their position? Disaster looms I'm happy to say!

I actually agree with Cotterill, i didn't think they deserved to lose. The game deserved to be 0-0 in my view. Very glad it wasn't though.

I agree with Cotterill too. Last night's game was the worst I've seen in a very long time and in truth we didn't deserve to win. Not that I'm complaining of course!

It would appear that Burnley manager Steve Cotterill felt that his side didn't deserve to lose. I'm sorry, but it's teams like Burnley and the way they play that ruin football for the paying public. Cotterill said he felt sorry for the fans who had made the trip down south to see their team lose so late in the game. I think he should give them their money back!!! I wouldn't travel miles to see Southend stick 10 men behind the ball and just hoof it up the other end. Don't be fooled by anyone who tells you different, Burnley made absolutely no attempt to win the game, they came to Roots Hall for a 0-0 and then have the cheek to moan when they lose in the 93rd minute. "Oh we're so unlucky". Burnley got exactly what they deserved, NOTHING! People pay to be entertained and team like Burnley are ripping fans off. When Southend play away, they try to win every game, there is none of this negative stuff. Burnley won't go down, but if they did I would feel sorry for league 1.

UP THE BLUES!!!

- G

Don't rule them out yet . They have a tough run in and if they continue to play like that who knows . If we had scored earlier I suspect their heads may have gone down and we could have won by a bigger margin.

As for League 1 , there were long spells last night when I thought we were watching League 1 again , not just 'cos of Burnley's spoiling tactics but also a number of our boys' woeful passing - how did Francis get MOM with all that hoofing ?

All I can think of in our defence is that we'd had a tough game on Saturday and with a small squad all that commitment is starting to take its toll. Same cannot be said of Burnley who had the weekend off.

Burnley got what they deserved as their goalkeeper was wasting so much time in the second half

Rose tinted specs there I think, you obviously didn't go to Turf Moor earlier this season when we parked the proverbial coach across the goal. The difference being we got the 0-0.

I don't disagree about being entertained, but at this stage of the season it's results that count.

I don't remember playing like that in any match this year. In fact I seem to remember questioning Tilly's away tactics during our awful run.

Burnley got what they deserved as their goalkeeper was wasting so much time in the second half

I think this point is best left well alone. A certain Mr Flahavan is the league's best time-waster and has the Yellow Cards to prove it. A completely legitimate tactic in my book; it's up to the referee to stop it.

I agree with Cotterill too. Last night's game was the worst I've seen in a very long time and in truth we didn't deserve to win. Not that I'm complaining of course!

I'm not sure I agree at all. We had several real chances last night and a couple of half-chances. Burnley had one tactic that they were relying on but in the end didn't warm Darryl's hands once.

I'll agree though that we weren't great and I did wonder where the goal was going to come from but Burnley were absolutely awful.

I don't recall any real chances to be honest. Bradbury's screwed left-footed shot in the first half was only really a half-chance; Freddy had three shots - one he scuffed, one he volleyed just wide and one the keeper saved well - but I wouldn't call those genuine chances. Ultimately, we didn't really open up Burnley once.

Burnley did indeed only come with one tactic in mind, to stifle us, and it was horrible to watch. But it was only ever going to be a mistake or a stroke of brilliance that let us in and it proved the former.

Not sure about that myself. I seem to recall he had the best of the match and created a lot of chances, particularly second half. Freddy should have won it second half.

I didn't think he was, at all. In fact I was impressed at the time that he didn't waste any time!

I think this point is best left well alone. A certain Mr Flahavan is the league's best time-waster and has the Yellow Cards to prove it.

Too true. Even when we are losing he seems to take an age to take his goalkicks or throw the ball out to the unmarked player.

I think this point is best left well alone. A certain Mr Flahavan is the league's best time-waster and has the Yellow Cards to prove it. A completely legitimate tactic in my book; it's up to the referee to stop it.

Oh do shut up. You seem to me another lets berate our team whenever there is a given half light. Go support somone else if all you can do is pic holes in everything.

Tosser!

Oh do shut up. You seem to me another lets berate our team whenever there is a given half light. Go support somone else if all you can do is pic holes in everything.

Tosser!

What part of my statement did you actually find fault with? Darryl Flahavan is the league's best timw-waster. Find me one fan that doesn't agree. The second part of my statement confirmed that I have no problem at all with him doing it. We have a good grin at his antics. My final point about the referee was that it's no good opposing fans moaning about it; if the referee feels he is time-wasting he will stop it.

Please refrain from flinging insults around. I take umbrage at this in particular as I am one of the most supportive posters on here. Also I suspect if we met in the car park you would not be quite so happy to call me a Tosser! Let me know if you disagree!!!

Shows how naive I am . I never really ever thought of Daryl deliberately wasting time , although he hasn't had alot of chance lately.

And I always thought the bookings were unfair - I reckon I must be biased. wasn't one of them when his boot came off ?

I didnt realise you had a goalkeeper fetish until now...To each there own I guess....Carpark .Behave lad!

The Burnley 'keeper was picking mud off his studs before he was taking goal kicks!

Oh the madness of this thread.

Burnley played in a way that many teams, including ourselves, do when things aren't going for them. They had better chances in the first half, we had better in the second but, goal aside, I would be amazed by anyone who thought we had done enough to win that game.

As for time wasting, I must be blind to it or just expect it. Derby's assistant manager sending Fagan (IIRC) over to the far side of the pitch before subbing him was time-wasting. I thought Burnley still looked to send the ball forwards even late on yesterday but they had such a dearth of creativity that it was tricky.

Last night is what happens with relegation battles, especially with a team who havnt won since November! They were unlucky to not go away with a draw, it was a mistake at the end of the day that cost them a point. I really think these three points which could have easily have been one, may have saved us.
Burnley have two games in hand but I still tip them for the drop.

Back