• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I am often accused of being a pessimist, But I too can see us slipping into a bad run soon.
The concerning thing about the Cox Ranger injuries is the possibility of a formation change to account for the lack of quality up top.

Personally I would rather see Fortune and McGlashan up top than change the formation behind them. What we are really going to miss the Rangers ability to win the arial balls which brings in the midfielders. If the likes of Atkinson , McGlaughlin and Wordsworth lose confidence in the strikers winning the ball they will sit back slightly as the expecting the header to come back, this will diminish our attacking threat for more than any drop in goal scoring ability of the two replacement forwards.

Depending on the prognosis I would say an early January loan signing may prove vital.

I largely agree. Quite how the team and Brown cope with one (or may be two) of our lead strikers missing will be vital. Getting draws rather than losing might be seen as small victories (try and work that logic out :omg:). I do not want to see Brown making large scale changes and hear of "clear the air" talks in the dressing room again this season.

McGlashan did drop into midfield yesterday before being pushed back out so that would be something that he (and the coaches) will have to work on in training. Even though Fortune was excellent it still made a large difference to our ability to keep the ball and turn defence into attack.

I'm not sure when Mooney will be back but any decent striker signing in January would be welcomed. I hope Brown (and Ron) go hunting for good Division 4 strikers but there are also decent players in this division who might be tempted to join us given our current position.

Would also be happy with 5 points:

Draw V Wombles
Draw V Charlton
Win V Swindon

If we are without Cox and Ranger the it's has to be McLaughlin alongside Fortune. He's a genuine goal threat and can finish- he is also not bad in the air. McGlashan can then play on the wing. If Hines has signed by then then he would be next in line to partner Fortune.

Hopefully 9 days will get one of Cox and Ranger fit. Don't know the severity of the injuries but a groin problem is probably easier to get through than the equivalent severity of thigh injury.

I am hopeful that either of Cox (possible) or Ranger (unlikely) will be able to partner Fortune over the Christmas/New Year. MacG coming on as sub and working up to a forward role at Oldham is better than having him being unplanned/forced into a start in that position on Boxing Day.
PB has time to work on a system, and for the team selected to play to the plan, to be full aware of what they need to be doing AND aware that failing to support Fortune if he plays as lead/sole forward is not an option.
IMO a large part of the blame for the early season hiatus was the gulf between most of the players and any attacker(s) we had in play; - more than blame of an individual such as the luckless Mr Mooney.
We will see, now, how PB and GC show their skill.

Last edited:
I largely agree. Quite how the team and Brown cope with one (or may be two) of our lead strikers missing will be vital. Getting draws rather than losing might be seen as small victories (try and work that logic out :omg:). I do not want to see Brown making large scale changes and hear of "clear the air" talks in the dressing room again this season.

McGlashan did drop into midfield yesterday before being pushed back out so that would be something that he (and the coaches) will have to work on in training. Even though Fortune was excellent it still made a large difference to our ability to keep the ball and turn defence into attack.

I'm not sure when Mooney will be back but any decent striker signing in January would be welcomed. I hope Brown (and Ron) go hunting for good Division 4 strikers but there are also decent players in this division who might be tempted to join us given our current position.

With 22 points since we lost at Rochdale, I really don't mind if PB fancies doing the 'Shake and Vac' every 2 months.

On a more serious note I don't see us signing anyone up front in January. We have 5 forwards if we include JW so even with injuries its not an area we will look to top up our wage bill. I know that's not what fans want to hear but we will just have to get through the injurie period as best we can.

One thing is certain if I was PB I would be waiting in the car park early tomorrow with a pen and a contract that has Fortunes name on it.

I am often accused of being a pessimist, But I too can see us slipping into a bad run soon.
The concerning thing about the Cox Ranger injuries is the possibility of a formatio change to account for the lack of quality up top
Peronally I would rather see Fortune and Mcglashan up top than change the formatkon behind them. What we are really going to miss the Rangers ability to win the ariel balls which brings in the midfielders. If the likes of Atkinson , Mcglaughlin and Wordsworth lose confindence in the strikers winning the ball they will sit back stightly as the expecting the header to come back , this will diminish our attacking threat for more than any drop in goalscoring ability of the two rellacement forwards.
Depending on the prognosis I would say an early January loan signing may prove vital

Pessimist :thumbdown: you asked for it really :winking:

Would also be happy with 5 points:

Draw V Wombles
Draw V Charlton
Win V Swindon

Obviously want us to win all 3, but there will be a blip sometime, and don't disagree with your prediction. We're going to get 2 big crowds at home within 5 days, and many a time have fallen on the sword when this happens.
In Jan/Feb we have 3 successive home games against Rochdale, Bolton & Scunthorpe (all currently 6 pointers), and if we're due to drop points at home, law of averages etc, would rather now than then.
Would love to be proved wrong, let's see.............

Looking good for an 8,000+ crowd on Boxing Day as over 6,100 home tickets sold so far and you can add probably another 500 in East Blues, DB & corporate which do not show online.
Only a few singletons left in the East Stand.
Wimbledon should bring 1,000+ as well I would have thought.

The Charlton crowd could be even higher as they will pretty much sell out the North Bank.

Yes, I think Wimbledon will bring around 1000 odd also. They have brought some decent away crowds to local teams so far this season...1,714 to Charlton, 1,164 to Millwall (on a Tuesday night). They also took 1,049 to Walsall on their 1st game of the season.

I'm expecting a decent crowd & a cracking atmosphere for this one.

Yes, I think Wimbledon will bring around 1000 odd also. They have brought some decent away crowds to local teams so far this season...1,714 to Charlton, 1,164 to Millwall (on a Tuesday night). They also took 1,049 to Walsall on their 1st game of the season.

I'm expecting a decent crowd & a cracking atmosphere for this one.

Hmmm sometimes the early kick off plus more 'non' regular fans can create a quiet atmosphere to start with. Mind you I'm happy its an early kick off (we are the only early League 1 game on Boxing Day) and happy with the extra fans.

The last thing we need is to win the next 3 games. We would surely lose PB when the January round of sackings begin in the Championship.

He must have learnt his lesson from last time. Not going to turn down a big pay day only to be abused by his own 'so called' fans the next game.

The last thing we need is to win the next 3 games. We would surely lose PB when the January round of sackings begin in the Championship.

He must have learnt his lesson from last time. Not going to turn down a big pay day only to be abused by his own 'so called' fans the next game.

Will have to be a team willing to pay his release clause though so we can pay him his shares and would imagine even if we do win the next three games there are managers who will be sought after before him, Gary Rowett springs straight to mind.

Will have to be a team willing to pay his release clause though so we can pay him his shares and would imagine even if we do win the next three games there are managers who will be sought after before him, Gary Rowett springs straight to mind.

Why? Didn't he lose his one Wembley play-off final.

It's a time for believing so I'm going for 9 points from the next three games. That target will be made more achievable if Little and Large up front are fit, but even without them both it's a great opportunity for Fortune and whoever to nail a place in the team. There is so much confidence in the team at the moment that it's not impossible to win them all, especially if we give Wimbledon a severe seeing to. Ho ho ho.
images

Rowett will rock up at Norwich within the next 2 or weeks, I'd put money on it.

Back