• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

This,

Loan arrangements can be very messy especially when the parent club are in the prem,I don't know the details of this deal but as I have stated before I know of one deal where the player HAD to play unless injured or banned.

Just because it may have been part of one players doenst mean it applies to all.

We will see if Woodrow starts again the next game, if he doesnt we know its nonsense. I personally hope he doesnt, he has looked ok to be honest, but I think Corr offers more, especially in holding up the ball.

As I said before I would play Barry from the off at Bury. Why? because if he doesn't play a part and we lose without scoring Phil Brown will come under fire for not going with experience at a time when he maybe ought to. no guarantees but at least he could say he went with someone with more know-how.

It seems to me that Woodrow will do better away from Roots Hall, where his pace will be more of an asset.

I'd guess that if Corr was 100% fit then CW would have only been a sub. in the last two home games.

I went to Fulham/WBA on Saturday and the Fulham "Faithful" were interested in his progress with us.Some suggested he should have been on the subs bench for them.He's highly rated there by people who go to reserve matches.

Last edited:
The LOAN system has been debated ad infinitum; it is personal choice by supporters as to if it is acceptable/worthy etc BUT for lower league clubs like us it is both possibly rewarding in results and dangerous for squad cohesion and youth/own player development.
The big clubs get the most out of it .
It is a subject that the FA, PFA need to examine and tweek.

The LOAN system has been debated ad infinitum; it is personal choice by supporters as to if it is acceptable/worthy etc BUT for lower league clubs like us it is both possibly rewarding in results and dangerous for squad cohesion and youth/own player development.
It is a subject that the FA, PFA need to examine and tweek.[/

Why bother loaning any player for such a short period,Season long deal is fine or even 6 months but under 6 month should be outlawed.

Team harmony should come first.

It is a subject that the FA, PFA need to examine and tweek.

Why bother loaning any player for such a short period,Season long deal is fine or even 6 months but under 6 month should be outlawed.

Team harmony should come first.

Lower league teams can run smaller squads and get in short term loans to cover injuries.

Cant see team harmony being affected when we only have the only loan player in a squad of 19.

Lower league teams can run smaller squads and get in short term loans to cover injuries.

Cant see team harmony being affected when we only have the only loan player in a squad of 19.

If you were a contracted player and the loaned guy takes your place,Would you be happy?

If you were a contracted player and the loaned guy takes your place,Would you be happy?

No, but I wouldn't be happy if a contracted player takes my place either. That's kinda the point of being dropped though.

No, but I wouldn't be happy if a contracted player takes my place either. That's kinda the point of being dropped though.

How?

Loaned player takes your place and could well play no better than yourself then after 4 weeks he leaves,Your confidence has been slaughtered,Every player wants/needs to be loved and wanted by the manager yet short term loans sends the wrong signal,That's the way I see it.

South Bank, you don't know what's going on exactly, but lets twist the facts. Corr and Eastwood this season have scored while playing together, Eastwood and Woodrow haven't scored together, we need to be scoring, so you don't have to be a brain surgeon to work out that the best partnership this season is C and E, if that doesn't happen next game it must be written in the loan agreement..

Edited for accuracy.

How?

Loaned player takes your place and could well play no better than yourself then after 4 weeks he leaves,Your confidence has been slaughtered,Every player wants/needs to be loved and wanted by the manager yet short term loans sends the wrong signal,That's the way I see it.

The point made was how is a loanee any different?

If the loan system was scrapped the manager would sign another striker full time and youd still be benched. There is a reason Corr is on the bench, either because he isnt fit or isnt performing, scrapping the loan system wouldnt stop him being replaced by other players. (and if its because he isnt fit to start then surely having a loan in right now is vital?)

Just a note on the loan agreement. I believe that Everton have to play Deulofou in a certain percentage of games he is available for, but Martinez has come out and said he will need a month or so to adjust to the English game. So while he is adjusting, he has been mainly on the bench and coming on in the last few minutes of the game. That way they are easing him in and allowing him to adapt and fulfilling the loan agreement.

Absolutely agree with this. Woodrow is not Corr, and is not the same type of player as Corr, therefore we shouldn't have been playing the ball to him as if he WAS Corr! That'll have been as unpleasant a performance as he's likely to have faced and he needs to come to terms with the realities of L2, especially on a rain drenched Friday evening! Wasn't he only signed for a month anyway? Very harsh thread title.

When Corr came on, he offered very little anyway, so I don't get why Woodrow is being pulled apart....or Thompson, for that matter. Time and time again, he was left exposed on his own as Hurst went walkabout - which I kind of understood as there was no link up between them. If White is out for next week, then these two need to get some understanding going. And I'm not going to blame Coker for the loss, the lad made one mistake, the conditions were ***** and he got too much on the header. If we'd put away either of the two good headers or one of the three crosses across the 6 yard box, it would have been a different story. What we need is a goal poacher, a Jermaine Defoe type.....that's very different to what we've got in Fred or Corr, and what we've had in Britt or Tomlin. When Cauley goes back, then that's what Mr Brown needs to look for.

Agree with the first bolded bit, the second bolded bit is unfair because we stopped crossing it in almost as soon as Corr came on by switching to a 4-3-3.

Quite why Brown thought it would be a good idea having just belatedly introduced his best centre-forward to then cut his supply line, I don't know. He's done this a number of times this season (either taking off Hurst when he brings on Corr or taking off Corr when he brings on Hurst). We created plenty of chances from crosses for the first hour so it would have made a lot more sense to have kept Hurst wider to keep providing crosses and/or width when we actually had someone up front who can bury a cross. But then I'm not paid to analyse games on Sky.

The kids will probably be excellent in a years time. Anyone who has seen Britt Assombalonga this season would see that we helped him on his way to look every inch a million pound footballer. The lad is absolutely on fire. Its just a shame we cant keep these players a bit longer to actually get the benefit from the experience they gain. Both Woodrow + Thompson are raw talents with big potential. Sadly they learn from the mistakes they make with us before going back better players. Thats the way it is.

38 in 169 appearances..Goal every 4 and half games.

His record with us is 35 goals from 60 starts is great. Even if you include the sub appearances, 35 from 97 games is better than a goal every 3 appearances and a good return. Granted he wasn't prolific before he was here, but that is irrelevant as we don't know how he was used before he joined us.

Agree with the first bolded bit, the second bolded bit is unfair because we stopped crossing it in almost as soon as Corr came on by switching to a 4-3-3.

Quite why Brown thought it would be a good idea having just belatedly introduced his best centre-forward to then cut his supply line, I don't know. He's done this a number of times this season (either taking off Hurst when he brings on Corr or taking off Corr when he brings on Hurst). We created plenty of chances from crosses for the first hour so it would have made a lot more sense to have kept Hurst wider to keep providing crosses and/or width when we actually had someone up front who can bury a cross. But then I'm not paid to analyse games on Sky.

Has he? I can recall Hurst being substituted for Corr last season and thinking it was a strange decision - not sure it was definitely Brown though and could well have been Sturrock (or maybe both at different times of the season?)

Anyway Hurst has only started 2 games this season and in neither of those was he substituted and in the 2 games he has come on as a sub it was for Clifford. Maybe there is a reason after all why it is Brown who is the one paid by Sky :winking:

This year

At Chesterfield Hurst came on after 60 minutes, Corr taken off after 78.
At Wycombe Corr off on 53 minutes, Hurst comes on after 53 minutes
Home to Scunthorpe Corr on after 68 minutes, after 74 minutes goes 4-3-3.

I can't remember what he did against Morecambe, but I think Hurst may have gone inside again.

Last year Corr and Hurst were on the pitch at the same time for 1 minute, 21 minutes (4-3-3), 33 minutes (4-3-3), 78 minutes, 3 minutes (4-3-3), 84 minutes (4-3-3).

So Brown has only had his best crosser out wide whilst his best header of the ball is up front for a maximum of 132 minutes in 16 matches (and I think the actual total is less than that).

I get that Corr and Hurst have at various time had to be managed because of injury, but why not do it so that you have them on the pitch at the same time rather than an inferior crosser crossing to Corr and Hurst crossing to an inferior centre-forward?

This year

At Chesterfield Hurst came on after 60 minutes, Corr taken off after 78.
At Wycombe Corr off on 53 minutes, Hurst comes on after 53 minutes
Home to Scunthorpe Corr on after 68 minutes, after 74 minutes goes 4-3-3.

I can't remember what he did against Morecambe, but I think Hurst may have gone inside again.

Last year Corr and Hurst were on the pitch at the same time for 1 minute, 21 minutes (4-3-3), 33 minutes (4-3-3), 78 minutes, 3 minutes (4-3-3), 84 minutes (4-3-3).

So Brown has only had his best crosser out wide whilst his best header of the ball is up front for a maximum of 132 minutes in 16 matches (and I think the actual total is less than that).

I get that Corr and Hurst have at various time had to be managed because of injury, but why not do it so that you have them on the pitch at the same time rather than an inferior crosser crossing to Corr and Hurst crossing to an inferior centre-forward?

Very interesting analysis YB - I think you were right to turn down Sky :)

Please can we stop doing loan deals, where we have to guarantee the player gets a start every time (Number 33)

My point really is not to be harsh on him, it's we are stuck with him because of such a deal.

South Bank, you don't know what's going on exactly, but look at the facts.
The Evening Echo said:
Brown has been impressed by the teenager’s displays in attack. And he refuted suggestions that Woodrow had to start in attack, due to the terms of the loan agreement with the Cottagers.

“I would never agree to anything like that because it would be ridiculous and wouldn’t be any good for anyone,” said Brown. “Fulham want us to aid Cauley’s development as a footballer and that’s exactly what we’re doing

Does this now put the ridiculous notion to bed?

Back