• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Slipperduke

The Camden Cad
So farewell, John Terry. Stripped of the captaincy for stripping his mate's girlfriend, and several other people's girlfriends by the sounds of it, we shall not see his like again. It's all so thoroughly grubby and pointless and it's a massive blow for England's chances of summer glory. Terry may not be the most mobile of defenders but, like the colossal Terry Butcher before him, he is an inspirational physical force in the back-line. Uncompromising and uncomplicated, as England captain, no-one else comes close.

Rio Ferdinand is next in line but, with all due respect, is anyone going to be inspired by him anymore? Thanks to his rickety back, he's only featured in six Premier League games all season and he's currently serving a four match ban for smashing Hull's Craig Fagan in the face. Giving him the armband also gives the press an excuse to revisit his mysterious vanishing act when called for a drugs test, not to mention that infamous videotape from his Ayia Napa holiday in 2000 when he and a number of other young footballers were filmed in flagrante.

But who else was there? Steven Gerrard? A man who has rarely replicated his club form for country. A man who has an unusual knack of picking up niggly injuries in the week before friendlies, always recovering in time for the next Liverpool game. A man who repeatedly hit a stranger in a bar because he wasn't allowed to put his own music on, later being cleared of all charges because his pre-emptive attack was deemed to be self-defence. He doesn't exactly shine, does he?

Who's next? Frank Lampard? One of the Ayia Napa scalliwags from 2000, he's another with skeletons in the closet, though the fact that he is so universally hated by non-Chelsea fans is also a major factor. Ashley Cole? Good Lord, no. David James? Too eccentric. Glen Johnson? Too erratic. Gareth Barry? Deserted the club that made him in search of 'Champions League football' and found instead a big pile of money at a team who weren't even in the Europa League. Could you respect that?

Wayne Rooney had an outside chance, but his alleged dalliances with mature prostitutes and his temper tantrums probably counted him out. Besides which, he is the form of his life right now, so why give him something else to think about? Rooney is at his best when he can concentrate on football and football alone. That leaves David Beckham, a fine ambassador for the game, despite those alleged affairs, but unlikely to play any more than a supporting role in South Africa.

How did it ever come to this? England teams used to drip with potential captains. England teams used to be crammed with likeable players. With such a paucity of genuine candidates for the most prestigious role in football, depressed fans here have only one request for the future generation of superstars:

"Given that you earn hundreds of thousands of pounds a month for playing a game that we would play for free, is there any chance at all that you could attend those drug tests, leave those video cameras at home, stop hitting people and, for the love of all that is holy, keep your pants zipped up!"

Cracking read that Slips. It is a great shame about Beckham, if he was a little younger I think he would definatly be the main man to be captain. I am in limbo about whether it was the right decision, I don't really like Terry in general but then again who would do a better job. I recon Rio might suprise everyone and step up his game and be a legendary captain. Watch this space.......

The trouble is Rio cant seem to manage two games in a row without getting injured,making a massive rick or getting himself sent off!

As Slipperduke says though who else can you give the job too?????

What about James Milner?

Surely he has got to establish himself in the team first?? - one for the future maybe but not now.

The problem is how many of the current squad are guaranteed starters - Rooney,Terry,Cole,Lampard,Gerrard??? and three of them you can't or shouldn't give the armband to, which leaves Gerrard or Lampard - maybe if Gerrard gave as much to the England side as he does to his club side he would be in with a shout. Lampard could do the job but half of the England fans still give him stick for bugger all reason other than he plays for Chelsea.

I'm actually a massive fan of Ferdinand's... His inconsistency this season goes hand in hand with a niggling injury that has stopped him making a consistent run of games, but he was an ever present in what I consider to be the single best team The Premier League has ever seen.

He compliments Terry perfectly, being the ball-playing defender who can distribute the ball instead of just hoofing it clear and he's led United to three consecutive Premier League titles and the Champions League, something no other England potential captain can say.

England used to be dripping with captain material because it wasn't big, big news to humiliate players and drag their names through the mud decades ago. Forgetting past indiscretions and basing purely on a players attributes, Ferdinand, Gerrard and Lampard could all captain England... Terry could've done if he wasn't knocking another players' missus and Rooney will, undoubtedly, captain England in the future. Unfortunately, the celebrity culture that has been bred alongside football and the birth of the Sports star promotes this "name and shame" attitude within the average News of the Screws reader..

As has been said before, JT cheating on his wife isn't the issue here, Capello even hinted as much, the key issue here is that he broke the trust of the team and done the deed with the WAG of another player. If you ask me, Capello couldn't have handled this any better and, if anything, his position as the Chief in point is even stronger. It's sent a direct message that nobody is untouchable and if you're going to **** around, then expect repurcussions.

It's that kind of no-nonsense attitude that wins major competitions...

Good stuff Slip, personally, I'd have given it to Becks anyway for the time being. He'd understand the reasoning and when time came to pass it on I'm sure he'd have done so with good grace. There are really so few worthy candidates in this current squad it's ridiculous.

I'm actually a massive fan of Ferdinand's... His inconsistency this season goes hand in hand with a niggling injury that has stopped him making a consistent run of games

That's the interesting part - Capello has always said you need to be playing regularly at the highest level to get in the squad - by his rules if he had to pick a squad today, Rio wouldn't be in it. Rio has got to have an extremely good few months if he wants the armband in South Africa.

Good stuff Slip, personally, I'd have given it to Becks anyway for the time being. He'd understand the reasoning and when time came to pass it on I'm sure he'd have done so with good grace. There are really so few worthy candidates in this current squad it's ridiculous.

I'd agree - if he was first choice in the 1st XI - but he's not and I don't think he ever will be again. I'm a massive Beckham fan and he is one of the few current internationals that really seems to care about being in the England set up but his role is, unfortunately, as an impact player these days.

Mind you, how many other players would have just quit the international game in his position??

I still can't work out why Lampard has been so easily dismissed...what has he done wrong? He gets abused by fans all over the country because...what...he used to be a bit chubby? He's not the most naturally gifted player in the world but through sheer hard-work and determination has become one of the best midfielders in the game, and he still can't get near the England captaincy at a time when we are lamenting that there are no natural choices for the role.

I don't think that Lampard should be made captain but I don't buy this 'dearth of captain material' discussion. The England team still will have Terry, will still have Gerrard, both are club captains and they may not wear the armband but will still be massively influential on the pitch.

Usually about this time before a World Cup the media get the daggers out for the manager. Capello has done everything right so far so it seems to me more about the media needing something else to moan about the England team to sell copy than a real crisis in captaincy.

Usually about this time before a World Cup the media get the daggers out for the manager. Capello has done everything right so far so it seems to me more about the media needing something else to moan about the England team to sell copy than a real crisis in captaincy.

That's something I'd actually fully agree with...

Certainly as long as I've been alive, it's always been the manager that has had to bear the brunt of the press assault in the lead up to major tournaments. Robson was villified until he reached the semi's, nobody liked the Turnip at the time, Hoddle was ridiculed for trying something a bit out of the ordinary, Sven was knocking Ulrika about and McClaren was never going to be popular...

It just so happens that this time around, we have an exemplary manager that the press would never dig a substantial amount of dirt on in a quarry... So who's the next viable target? Of course, the captain who leads a flash lifestyle.

I still can't work out why Lampard has been so easily dismissed...what has he done wrong? He gets abused by fans all over the country because...what...he used to be a bit chubby? He's not the most naturally gifted player in the world but through sheer hard-work and determination has become one of the best midfielders in the game, and he still can't get near the England captaincy at a time when we are lamenting that there are no natural choices for the role.

I think it stems from the grief that Hammers fan gave him and his perceived arrogance subsequently ... "I should get more respect" was the line I'm thinking of. It seemed to really take off after the 2006 World Cup Finals when he had all those forlorn shots on goal with no result. The ongoing debate about whether he and Gerrard could play together resulted in England fans choosing one or the other and most of us prefer Gerrard. Having said that, he's done well under Capello and I now see him as integral to England's chances in South Africa. I could still do without that looking up to the heavens drama though ...

Nice article. That last bit should be added into every contract! When does the England squad get announced for the world cup?

Tbh i've given up worrying about whether I like the England team or not I just want them to ****ing win something!

Back