• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Southend v Watford, April 1996. Leo Roget to the rescue.

If I've got my timing right, was this an Easter Monday and on the previous Friday we'd lost 3-0 at Huddersfield? If correct got the girlfriend to drive like a mad woman on the morning of the game down the M1 from Bronte country where we'd stayed after the Huddersfield defeat, she was not amused! (We had an outside chance of the play-offs, I think, which this result certainly ended!)

If wrong, I'm old :Smile:

(If right, were Watford at the bottom of the league and their fans singing "we're ****, but we're beating you" after going one up, how times have changed!)

Stole the Layer rd end ?? You mean the whole ground and town. I felt more insecure those days walking around Peter Pans playground than i did Colchester
To be fair, a lot of times we had 3 sides and they had the Bar Side, which was mainly their older fans. So we never stole the whole ground. But I remember one sunny Saturday when Southend fans spent the day in the town, like you say, took over the town. So got to the ground later than usual. Colchester had all 4 sides. By the start of the game they just had the Bar Side. All their lads were chased out of the ground. The police learnt in the end, and were better at keeping us just in the Layer Road end and sometimes the West Stand as well. So Colchester got to stand in their South Stand, as you see from the game above.

2 Good ones here against Coventry. Jan 2016. Tyrone Barnett has a different style to penalty taking to Jack Bridge for sure.

10th Dec 2016(The next season). Anthony Wordsworth loved a good celebration. He normally came up with them on the training ground.

Not sure if these clips have been shown before
The big match Charlton v Southend 1975 1st and 2nd half
Great to see players like Guthrie ,Webster ,Elliot ,Brace Moody etc as we remember them in their prime.Also the Valley in its old form.The white strip with the shrimp looks great and the 1 to 11 team numbers so much better than todays pick and mix

I was there at Charlton at the old Valley with a few lads. I remember getting soaked. Apart from a small group, Southend fans were spread out in the South Bank, and it was only when we scored and the hands went up, we saw how many had made the journey. Probably about 150 at most. It was disappointing, as we kept danger man Derek Hales well quiet. He had an amazing scoring record for them.

Again not sure if this you tube clip has been mentioned on here . Although quality not the greatest a chance to see the Hall in its old glory with the South bank ,East stand paddock and pre boxes ,and not a seat in sight in the West .

Does anyone have any photos from the first year of south stand being built and during it ? Thanks.

Does anyone have any photos from the first year of south stand being built and during it ? Thanks.
About the best I could find for now.
DcC82tnX4AEHUom.jpg

This from the West before they started on the South Bank.
BOHbSMRCQAAZ_8v.jpg:large

There is one out there that shows them doing the concrete steps on the South Bank, but seems to have been removed. If I find it, I will post it.

This one below is from the first game v Norwich 1955, taken from the South Bank.
Large

Back