• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

About the best I could find for now.
DcC82tnX4AEHUom.jpg

This from the West before they started on the South Bank.
BOHbSMRCQAAZ_8v.jpg:large

There is one out there that shows them doing the concrete steps on the South Bank, but seems to have been removed. If I find it, I will post it.

This one below is from the first game v Norwich 1955, taken from the South Bank.
Large
I was there on that memorable day. Notice the writing on the BKS North Stand is missing. Also if you zoom in, it looks as if the ball is about to enter the net. Possibly from the left foot of our talented winger John McGuigan (pictured far right). Great photo.

Last edited:
Still not finished.
general-view-roots-hall-home-southend-united-21422900.jpg.webp

Finished. 1955.
ERKbTMjXsAoI-KW.jpg
I don’t know about you, but I think the photo from 1955 looks as if it has been “doctored”. Have a look at the cars in the car park. They are packed in like sardines with no access route, what’s more they all look like the same model and the same colour. There also seem to be a steady stream of people either entering or leaving the ground through the Victoria Avenue gate yet the game appears to be in progress. Something funny going on here…….

As we're doing a little bit about Roots Hall being built, I've put this on again. It's already on page 3 of this thread. From 1.58 is about Southend, but worth watching the whole video as it's only about 2 and a half minutes long.

I can only go by the source, and that said 1955. But yes, sometimes the source is wrong.

Indeed. This is definitely 1970.

If you zoom right in, it looks like Gary Moore front left and Billy Best in the middle (with just a little imagination). Our two scorers that day (not for the first time!!).

Indeed. This is definitely 1970.

If you zoom right in, it looks like Gary Moore front left and Billy Best in the middle (with just a little imagination). Our two scorers that day (not for the first time!!).
It’s a picture of a goal by the looks of it, always wondered how the photo was taken, from a floodlight pylon maybe?

Still not finished.
general-view-roots-hall-home-southend-united-21422900.jpg.webp

Finished. 1955 it said. But as pointed out by others, not 1955.
ERKbTMjXsAoI-KW.jpg
As mentioned above by Mick this picture is also shown in the 1970-71 Handbook and is taken at the Southend Utd. v Colchester Utd. match played in Feb. 1970. Goalscorers that day were Billy Best after 9mins. Colchester then equalised through Jim Oliver after 31mins with Gary Moore scoring the winner 14minutes from time. Att: 6,799(SU) or 6,788(CU) this depends on either club statistics. Another clue regarding what year it actually is/was is that the East Stand had then been extended from when it was originally built sometime in the mid/late 1960's?? possibly with the roof shown here having different colours as it was extended at both ends.

Large

It is not often that we hear of a former Blue putting pen to paper to tell their life story, so when it does happen it’s a moment worth noting.

Derek Spence was brought to Roots Hall by manager Dave Smith in December 1979.

The blonde centre forward went on to score 34 goals in 109 appearances, including 21 goals when he was our leading scorer and Player of the Year in our record-breaking 1980/81 Division Four Championship winning team.

Derek, known to many as ‘Snowball’, is a great character and has had a varied and colourful life.

His story takes you from his humble upbringing in trouble-torn Belfast to his times mostly as a lower-league fully committed striker with the likes of Oldham, Bury and Blackpool.

He also had some interesting times playing for Olympiacos and with George Best in Hong Kong, plus won 29 caps for Northern Ireland.

“Derek Spence is an international” was heard ringing out many a time from the Roots Hall terraces. His book also brings you up to date with many a tale, both highs, and lows, from his life after hanging up his boots.

A Southend fan, who has helped him finalise his book and bring it to market, says that “Derek’s story is told with characteristic wit and passion by a man who is a true gentleman”.
final.jpg

Great pic, must have been taken from on top of the floodlights. :stunned:
As to my previous post yesterday regarding this photo this was taken from the match programme against Peterborough United soon after and the quote inside is as follows "Our first goal scored against Colchester" I seem to remember that this particular picture had been posted before on here so spent the last 3 hours looking for it this afternoon. Yes, Sad but True. (also see post 1394/95).

Back