• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

We had a feature on Gordon Linton on SUEPA's pages a little while back, when his widow made contact with us. He was also related as an in law (IIRC) to Beaver from the Trust. @Suffolk Shrimper In Dorset may well be interested in the posts made on here in connection with this.

Grumpy Blue and I played in the local schools final for Earls Hall with Malcolm Linton back in the day.

Grumpy Blue was in goal and we beat Hamstel 2-1.

Malcolm and I both scored and he went on to play for us and Orient.

I didn't..........

Last time I saw Malcolm was back in the seventies in the Cricketers with Ricky Heppolette

I didn`t play for SUFC or Orient either :Smile2:

Alan Little joined SUEPA yesterday - check it out on the SUEPA Twitter and Facebook pages. Had a good chat with him, really nice down to earth guy, not been in football circes for a while and earning a living now as a delivery driver. Would like to come back to Roots Hall, will have to see what can be done about that. Alan was part of that great FA Cup run in 75/76 - see pic of Alan at Baseball Ground where it all ended (but we should have at least got a draw). More pics on the SUEPA Twitter/FB pages. Alan is SUEPA member 141.

Attachments

• DSC_3415 (2).JPG
    DSC_3415 (2).JPG
    545.7 KB · Views: 26
We had a feature on Gordon Linton on SUEPA's pages a little while back, when his widow made contact with us. He was also related as an in law (IIRC) to Beaver from the Trust. @Suffolk Shrimper In Dorset may well be interested in the posts made on here in connection with this.

I seem to remember Gordon, was it from Fairfax High where he used to play in goal, seem to remember he was very talented, shame to hear of his passing.

very true Thor..think Fairfax produced Gorden(RIP).Rafter and Fairfax best player..Mark Bishop.He was an appentice also at Roots Hall:In the end ,i think Mark joined the London fire brigade and later ran a pub somewhere in east Anglia,so,after many a beer,i think his brother told me

very true Thor..think Fairfax produced Gorden(RIP).Rafter and Fairfax best player..Mark Bishop.He was an appentice also at Roots Hall:In the end ,i think Mark joined the London fire brigade and later ran a pub somewhere in east Anglia,so,after many a beer,i think his brother told me

Yes I remember both Sean and Mark, cant remember if Mark was in my year or the year in front of me, Sean was in the year behind, but you're right Mark was a standout player.

Malcolm as you know was Gordon's older brother they both went to Earls Hall School.

Malcolm's playing history

1971–1972 Southend United
1972–1975 Leyton Orient
1975 Bath City
1975 Tampa Bay Rowdies
1976 Los Angeles Aztecs
1976–1977 Gravesend & Northfleet
Tilbury

Malcolm played with another great SUFC player at Tampa Bay Rowdies, Eddie Firmani.

Here are a few pics of Malcolm

View attachment 5786View attachment 5787View attachment 5788View attachment 5789View attachment 5790

That would be "Mooky" Linton ,I imagine.I played with him in a great Earls Hall team and saw his professional debut for Orient.He was some player.

Earls Hall was a lovely school, some great memories from there, still pass it at least once a week.

I think the goalie saves this penalty from Dave Martin.

DnuAkG0WsAEKbOM.jpg:large

I don't know whether this one has already been posted, but its on the official site associated with the SUEPA article on ex keepers.

Large

Dave Martin misses the penalty against Brentford and the title is not coming to Roots Hall

1539608120326.png

BILLY GOODWIN a big signing in 1922 from Manchester United, who transformed Southend after their worst season ever, scoring 22 goals.

The following season the Directors (who picked the team then) tended to play him out of position but still scored 11 goals up to Easter then:

BAD NEWS ON GOOD FRIDAY.

The match at Brighton on Good Friday will remain in the memory for one thing and one thing only, the disastrous accident to Billy Goodwin. Just after half time he took a ground pass and was in the act of kicking the ball in the manner which has delighted Kursaal supporters on so many occasions. His toe was under it when in came the burley, fair headed Smith the Brighton full back with a hefty kick. The ball was cleared but Goodwin fell back with his right foot in the air, writhing in agony. Doctor Owen of the Brighton directorate was assisted by the St Johns Ambulance Brigade men and in a few minutes Goodwin leg bound in splints was lifted to a stretcher. He said the pain was intense and it must have been. He bore it well and as he was carried from the field , he raised his head to say “tell the boys to play up”. Doctor Owen confirmed that he had “A compound fracture near the ankle and a dislocation. It is a very serious accident” later Mr. Bernie and Seth Hall who is Billy’s particular pal went to see him at the dispensary. They were too late, for he was then under anaesthetic the bone setting operation have been performed. So with heavy hearts one of the most deservedly popular of footballers was left behind us, insensible.
From the Southend Standard 24thApril 1924

A true Southend hero, this injury would usually end a players career at the time. He appealed for work in the Southend area, Southend arranged a benefit match for him, and he did a few years later make a comeback scored a couple of goals but was not the same player,

Here is another pic of Billy Goodwin, Billy signed for Southend United from Manchester United for at the time a record fee of £600.00 on the 1st July 1922, he made 91 appearances for the Shrimpers scoring 35 goals.

He left the club on 1st August 1927 to join Dartford, he unfortunately past away 9 July 1951 (aged 59).

Clubs Billy played for
Blackburn Rovers
Exeter City
Manchester United
Southend United
Dartford
Oldham Athletic
Congleton Town
Mossley
Droylsden
Mossley

BillGoodwin.jpg

Here is another pic of Billy Goodwin, Billy signed for Southend United from Manchester United for at the time a record fee of £600.00 on the 1st July 1922, he made 91 appearances for the Shrimpers scoring 35 goals.

He left the club on 1st August 1927 to join Dartford, he unfortunately past away 9 July 1951 (aged 59).

Clubs Billy played for
Blackburn Rovers
Exeter City
Manchester United
Southend United
Dartford
Oldham Athletic
Congleton Town
Mossley
Droylsden
Mossley

£600 in 1922 is the equivalent of just over £33,000 in today's terms, less than what Man Utd pay Paul Pogba every single day.

Back