• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

cluniemore

The Wee Birdie
A wee birdie told me that the gaffer has been
studying types of players who have played for Southend and for h is own peace of mind he has watched videos and dvds of games of Southend teams of the past. Under the previous manager the style was no different direct to target man play in in other teams half emphasis on crosses. There was many poor passes and the goalkeeper kicked everything to target man with team supporting picking up the crumbs then playing.He then watched the swindon and cheltenham games and let his stats man do a critic of those games and again both those teams had a target man both had similiar stats to us as far as balls played into final third and both goalkeepers kicked rather than throw out . He has told me to tell all supporters that airing his opinion he has enjoyed but feels that his infrequent remarks would turn into an unproductive slanging match trying to explain to supporters who have hardened views and havent been factual with there comments he has decided to terminate his debating . He wishes to reiterate people on here are all hardened fans and are entitled to there opinions and yes they will all be on here long after cluniemore. Personally i have enjoyed being a go between i will miss the crack on that note i will leave you with a farewell LANG MAY YOUR LUM REEK a old scottish farewell phrase.Up the shrimpers lets get promoted.

A wee birdie told me that the gaffer has been
studying types of players who have played for Southend and for h is own peace of mind he has watched videos and dvds of games of Southend teams of the past. Under the previous manager the style was no different direct to target man play in in other teams half emphasis on crosses. There was many poor passes and the goalkeeper kicked everything to target man with team supporting picking up the crumbs then playing.He then watched the swindon and cheltenham games and let his stats man do a critic of those games and again both those teams had a target man both had similiar stats to us as far as balls played into final third and both goalkeepers kicked rather than throw out . He has told me to tell all supporters that airing his opinion he has enjoyed but feels that his infrequent remarks would turn into an unproductive slanging match trying to explain to supporters who have hardened views and havent been factual with there comments he has decided to terminate his debating . He wishes to reiterate people on here are all hardened fans and are entitled to there opinions and yes they will all be on here long after cluniemore. Personally i have enjoyed being a go between i will miss the crack on that note i will leave you with a farewell LANG MAY YOUR LUM REEK a old scottish farewell phrase.Up the shrimpers lets get promoted.

Can't say I'm surprised... you should never explain. Your friends don't need it and your enemies won't believe it anyway.

However, thanks for trying and will leave you with a scottish phrase of my own.. "there's a moose loose aboot this hoose."

...and may your sporran never dangle in the dust. I would not be too fussed about people having opinions after all they're like arseholes, everyone has one.

for his own peace of mind he has watched videos and dvds of games of Southend teams of the past.

Hope you watched the Doncaster away game, we played **** but everyone partied. Some look back on that game as fondly as the game against Man U, hey let's play like that every week, who cares as long as we all have a good time...

Can. Of. Worms.

I'm happy we are top of the league and style of play at the end of the day doesn't matter, but you have done well to retreat after comparing Tilly's sides to yours. As I say, some of us don't care (particularly) but this is gonna get messy in here!!

Oh and to just qualify my stance, I don't really see the massive fuss about tillys sides. Yes it was attractive at times, but hardly Barcelona esque. We had a couple of real quality flair players and that helped mask a lot of the approach play. Nothing we couldn't do with hall, bilel, Martin, Timlin etc...

Thats a real shame if cluniemore feels that way, does this mean we wont be hearing from cluniemore any more at all or just on this particular subject?

With Tara Brady gone so assume no more liason meetings and no updates from cluniemore we will in my opinion be much worse off.:sad:

Is anyone else at all concerned that either Cluniemore (or the gaffer) are becoming a little bit needy of late? I'm not sure if it gives me more or less confidence that he/she/they seem to now be constantly on here trying to justify themselves and their decisions.

Football fans are a strange breed....us good folk on here range from those who may have been involved in the game at some level, those that show some understanding of the same down to those that clearly do not have a clue...however the thing we all have in common is we all think we know better....and I am fairly certain that none of us are actually better qualified to do the job than Mr Sturrock. Therefore I suggest he just gets on with managing the team to the best of his ability and stops worrying about what the punters think, as he will never please everyone.

Tilly did always like a targetman. Broughton, Goater, Bradbury, Ricketts, Paynter, Harrold, Revell and Vernon all played there for him in that role with varying degrees of success. But I never got the impression that he was sending the team out to hit the ball long to the targetman and play from there. When Barker or Gilbert get the ball they look to give it to Liam Dickinson. When Adam Barrett or Duncan Jupp got the ball they tended to play it to Mark Gower or Kevin Maher.

It's hard to completely discount the Freddy Eastwood factor as well. We played our best football with Eastwood in the side.

Sad that cluniemore feels that the time for posting has now passed. As fbm says above, there are those who don't feel the need for explanation and those that will never believe anyway - both types of supporters are represented on here.

And a Scottishism from me in farewell Donald, where's yer trooooosers.

Cluniemore, please tell The Gaffer that I do not care if our only goals are scored by the keeper hoofing it from one box and into the back of the net. 1-0 off the backside of a hapless defender with our only on-target shot of the day..is preferable to a 4-4 draw!
Having said that..is great to see pass and move too!
C'MON YOU SHRIMPERS!

Cluniemore, please tell The Gaffer that I do not care if our only goals are scored by the keeper hoofing it from one box and into the back of the net. 1-0 off the backside of a hapless defender with our only on-target shot of the day..is preferable to a 4-4 draw!
Having said that..is great to see pass and move too!
C'MON YOU SHRIMPERS!

Who can forget that fantastic 4-4 Cup Tie with Northampton all those years back; not anyone who was there, I'd wager. Strange that anyone who likes their football would prefer to see us win with an own goal and no shots on target, than a match like that.

I don't know, was it Cardiff who we beat 1-0 through a late ludicrous diving header own goal a few years back after they'd dominated the entire match? I seem to remember enjoying that one a lot.

I don't know, was it Cardiff who we beat 1-0 through a late ludicrous diving header own goal a few years back after they'd dominated the entire match? I seem to remember enjoying that one a lot.

Don't think so. The only time I can remember us beating Cardiff 1-0, it was a stunning goal from Lee Bradbury.

Oh well, has been entertaining, if not a bit weird. Don't recall a manager having a go between on the fans forum before? Cant see Prem managers doing that !

Two things, Tell PS not to bother even looking at the old days stuff, focus on getting us out of the league and we'll all be happy, (if only for a brief moment:winking:)

And I think the style between this regime and the last was very different, not sure how anyone could say their not? I havent seen football like this season at the Hall in many years.

Can't say I'm surprised... you should never explain. Your friends don't need it and your enemies won't believe it anyway.

However, thanks for trying and will leave you with a scottish phrase of my own.. "there's a moose loose aboot this hoose."

very well put. PS don't worry about the moaners. Just try to ignore them. Blues have their fair share. Just go and look at your Scottish caps, cup and league medals, coaching badges and CV on promotions and laugh at them. That's what I try to do. And remember many a mickle makes a muckle.

Who can forget that fantastic 4-4 Cup Tie with Northampton all those years back; not anyone who was there, I'd wager. Strange that anyone who likes their football would prefer to see us win with an own goal and no shots on target, than a match like that.

Mick has it ever occured to you that you might be the strange one.

.... Just go and look at your Scottish caps, cup and league medals, coaching badges and CV on promotions and laugh at them. ......

I know Scottish caps and medals are little better than non-league, but I'm not sure I'd want to laugh at them. :winking:

Don't think so. The only time I can remember us beating Cardiff 1-0, it was a stunning goal from Lee Bradbury.

Just checked and I'm thinking of the 1-1 draw we had against them in 2001 where Rhys Weston's own goal was the equaliser in stoppage time.

I could have sworn we'd won that game, probably because everyone celebrated like we had.

very well put. PS don't worry about the moaners. Just try to ignore them. Blues have their fair share. Just go and look at your Scottish caps, cup and league medals, coaching badges and CV on promotions and laugh at them. That's what I try to do. And remember many a mickle makes a muckle.

I agree with you, anyone with half a brain cell can see the man has credentials and is doing a decent job; but it shouldnt mean that people are compelled to say they enjoy the way the team goes about playing.

It's a really strange situation for me, because I can't remember a previous promotion push when the side were so regularly booed off the pitch at half time. It maybe shows that more people than realised are unhappy about our style of play, which in turn sounds ridiculous considering we're top.

Having thought about it yesterday I came to the conclusion that the fans have been so royally mucked about in recent years regarding Fossetts Farm, shares, Tilson etc that many of those frustrations are always near the surface and maybe get taken out in the only available place; the terraces on match day. Who knows?

Back