• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

EastStandBlue

Life President
Next time I get a speeding or a parking fine, I'm just going to ask for it to be suspended for when I can actually afford to flush £50 down the drain. Why not? It's worked for Chelsea...

Rather predictably, the court of arbitration for sport has sided with the London club, suspending their punishment until a final decision is reached regarding an appeal which, in Chelsea's case, makes the punishment null and void anyway. The tabloids have created a list as long as Liverpool's squad rota of potential signings, with Sergio Aguero, Robinho and David Villa topping them all, and Chelsea can now splash around in the transfer market as they see fit, preparing themselves for the worst.

Chelsea have enjoyed a spectacular start to the season, with Didier Drogba flourishing under Ancelotti's tutelage, but an upheld punishment would've been a disaster. With Drogba jetting off to the Harry Redknapp Invitational, although they refer to it as the African Cup of Nations, with Salomon Kalou, Michael Essien and John Obi Mikel Chelsea would've have lost four starters for a month with nobody in to replace them. Hell, Dan Sturridge might have actually played a game.

That was by no means the worst of it. With the home grown quota system coming in next season and a squad cap of 25 players enforced, with no discernible means to bring in players, Chelsea would've had to field a selection of English youths... Something Chelsea apparently lack at this moment of time. The club now have ample time to prepare, bring in the right players for whatever price Roman's cheque book decides and wait for a decision on a punishment that will have little meaning to them.

This ruling has showed that, even though Uefa are the governing body of the sport, they themselves are governed by a collection of lawyers in Brussels with no interest in the repercussions of their actions. The Bosman ruling pretty much destroyed the transfer market, now they're opening the gates for the big teams to continue their continental pillage.

So, using the dangerous precedent the Cas has set here, I'll be paying my speeding fines whenever I damn well please. Don't think I'll be that lucky though...

Back