• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Jackett or Cotterill would come with some form at this level - I'd take either if we could land them. Adkins maybe. Martin Allen would keep us up, but would there be problems at a later date?

I certainly wouldn't appoint an ex player on the basis that he's played a bit.

Adam Barrett and/or Kevin Maher as caretaker boss.

They know the players, they know the club, are hugely popular and they are cheap and available. If it works - fantastic; if not they return to their existing roles and we get a new manager in in time for the new transfer window.

It worked superbly with Tilly.

I maybe being harsh on Maher but he doesn't strike me as management material , a bit like Southgate in the sense that hes a nice guy at all but you need more than that to be successful these days

I maybe being harsh on Maher but he doesn't strike me as management material , a bit like Southgate in the sense that hes a nice guy at all but you need more than that to be successful these days

Tilly didn't strike me as management material either and Chrissy Powell seems to be most people's top choice.

Give Maher a go as caretaker. If he's not cut out for it we can swiftly move onto Plan B.

Did alright at Chelmsford last season when he took over as caretaker in January and saw them through to the end of the season. I'd certainly be happy to see him take over until someone else was found and give him an opportunity to show what he can do.

If PB went I think Cougho would be given the caretaker role with maybe a permanent move depending how it goes

... Mind you, his team talks and post-match interviews would have to be in a rap stylee, so would be interesting hearing.

Jackett or Cotterill or Adkins would be my top 3 choice and they know League 1 inside and out, not many jobs is available & managering Southend Utd always an attractive option for any manager who is willing to drop down a division as any success would see crowds rise easily, much more potential than most of clubs at this level.

Jackett or Cotterill or Adkins would be my top 3 choice and they know League 1 inside and out, not many jobs is available & managering Southend Utd always an attractive option for any manager who is willing to drop down a division as any success would see crowds rise easily, much more potential than most of clubs at this level.

Where are you getting this from? Why do people think that if THIS club gets promoted, everything will mushroom? No evidence for this whatsoever. Many many clubs in the football league over the last 20 years have built a shiny new stadium with the intention of growing into it. How many have managed that? Swansea are the only one I can think of and it would be interesting to see what happens to their attendances if they fall out of the top flight. The rest are playing to stadia that are over 50% empty. Why do some people think we're different and that all of a sudden we'll turn into a massive club? Bournemouth are a good example - got themselves promoted and doing really well. But they are a smaller club than many in the league below and possibly a couple in our league too. They can't change that.

Portsmouth have potential. Sheffield United have potential. Bolton have a bit of potential. Clubs like Southend need a sugar daddy (like Fleetwood) or a canny chairman and manager (like Bournemouth, like Burton). The latter have got themselves into the championship ffs - they are a non league side - well done them.

Where are you getting this from? Why do people think that if THIS club gets promoted, everything will mushroom? No evidence for this whatsoever. Many many clubs in the football league over the last 20 years have built a shiny new stadium with the intention of growing into it. How many have managed that? Swansea are the only one I can think of and it would be interesting to see what happens to their attendances if they fall out of the top flight. The rest are playing to stadia that are over 50% empty. Why do some people think we're different and that all of a sudden we'll turn into a massive club? Bournemouth are a good example - got themselves promoted and doing really well. But they are a smaller club than many in the league below and possibly a couple in our league too. They can't change that.

Portsmouth have potential. Sheffield United have potential. Bolton have a bit of potential. Clubs like Southend need a sugar daddy (like Fleetwood) or a canny chairman and manager (like Bournemouth, like Burton). The latter have got themselves into the championship ffs - they are a non league side - well done them.

Reading
Hull
Swansea
Cardiff
Rotherham
Brighton
Mk dons
Wigan
Southampton

All of the above have had new stadiums and excelled. Not all of them have stayed there but most are in a much better position to where they were pre stadium build.

I can only think of

West ham
Rushden
Darlington
Col u
Doncaster who have not excelled.

Doncaster played championship as have col u and West ham might still recover.

The Rushden and Darlington were quite complex stories.

Isnt it a fact that the one time we were in the championship, the home matches were practically sellouts,and the 3 appearances in the JPT final plus the playoff finals show that the supporter base is there should SUFC ever get over its small club attitude ,as some of our supporters should also and start to think that we are a tad bigger than most think we are.THINK SMALL STAY SMALL,THINK BIG and manage carefully and who knows we could do a Bournemouth.

Isnt it a fact that the one time we were in the championship, the home matches were practically sellouts,and the 3 appearances in the JPT final plus the playoff finals show that the supporter base is there should SUFC ever get over its small club attitude ,as some of our supporters should also and start to think that we are a tad bigger than most think we are.THINK SMALL STAY SMALL,THINK BIG and manage carefully and who knows we could do a Bournemouth.

We certainly did sell out most home seats in the Championship.

As for Bournemouth their success had little to do with club size and more to do with rich owners.

Back