• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Promotion and relegation 2019/20 season

I for one won’t be sorry to see the back of this season! Obviously the reason is utterly dreadful, but in footballing terms whatever the outcome is we can’t really lose, so long as a financial solution is found for ourselves and other clubs. If the season finished now and we started either in L2 or L1 next season we’ve been spared big time. At least there will be hope again next time the boys cross the white line.

No chance as you say Jason, find it very distasteful some clubs / chairman are up in arms and threatening legal action whilst 1000s will die and millions suffer financial difficulties.

Totally agree, with the current situation in the UK it’s awful that these chairman/owners/clubs are even talking about legal action. These are circumstances that no one could ever plan for. Let’s worry about making sure everyone is safe and healthy before making these sorts of decisions.

No chance as you say Jason, find it very distasteful some clubs / chairman are up in arms and threatening legal action whilst 1000s will die and millions suffer financial difficulties.
The two are separate, no?
If the Leagues were so bothered about the current crisis, they wouldn't be video conferencing each other with a view to resolving the issues.
Consequently, they would avoid making decisions that will have a huge impact on clubs.
It's a terrible situation, but should the authorities wait until the crisis is over? Not rhetoric, but a genuine question.

Will be interesting to see what support the PFA will be putting together for players whose contracts lapse and clubs can’t afford to extend and others are unlikely to be signing.

I just cant see this season finishing. Its desperately unfair on Liverpool more than anyone else, and incredibly good fortune for us & Bolton etc.,but I just can't see another realistically workable solution. I can only see two outcomes, a) the season stops now with every club's final points total being pro-rata'd based on their points per game so far. Which would basically leave everyone where they are now. Each team winning their respective division are officially champions in the record books, get a trophy & medals etc, but no promotions or relegations for 2019/20. Or b) the season stops now, all games played are declared null & void, we start again next season. Personally I think the first scenario works best as at least there is some reward for those teams at the top of their divisions. It wouldn't be fair to promote or relegate anyone when nothing was certain when the season stopped.

If you stop thee season with any points total and dont have promotion and relegation then there is no point as you might as well then say no champions as you cant have champions without promotion from some divisions. If they end with points then promote the teams who are in the places and play the playoffs during the summer

other wise end the season as void or alternately try to play it that is very unlikely

teams budgetyf for certain things, FFP will be greatly affected next season if you dont get promoted etc, i am sure one of if not both of Leeds and West Brom over spent as a gamble(similar to QPR) so there could be issues there as they would be punished unless FFP for this season is ignored. If the season is voided and all contracts roll forward (such as sponsor ship or kit deals etc) then does that mean transfers are voided too. Whole thing is a mine field, one that could never have been predicted by anyone.

will always be winners and losers in this situation but which way who knows, but i can foresee 9rightly or wrongly) some legal wrangles coming

They have to void the season now. It's clean, clinical and under the current turmoil in England the fairest way in general to apply a mandate. No Champions, no promotion or relegation. Yes, it will negatively impact some clubs more than others. However, all clubs at all levels are going to suffer the consequences of this pandemic for the future. It draws a line under the season, protects the PL, FA and EFL from most of the litigation. More importantly shifts the focus towards the future season and the opportunity to maybe restructure the game for the better moving forward.

The FA have already made a rod for its own back by voiding the non-league season from step three down.
One rule for one, and one for another?
Let's see how that pans out as a bunch of Step three-ers band together with a mind to suing the FA from here to breakfast unless it does the same for all leagues!

I dont see the problem with rewarding the clubs at the top of each division with their respective titles, trophy etc, but no promotion or relegation. It’s been done plenty of times before in the NL (a while back admittedly when it was the conference or before) and lower, when the club winning the league couldn’t go up due to their ground not being suitable. They were still champions regardless. It at least gives the season some meaning and Liverpool get their title which no one could seriously begrudge them.

I bet a lot of fans of those clubs in promotion places and playoff places would disagree as would the clubs themselves. while it shouldn’t be about money, it will be as thats what the game at all levels is about now. Clubs need it, they spend more than they have and need the rewards of promotion to go with it to clear what they have spent. I don’t agree with how it is and health should come first.

As some one said the FA have made a rod for there own backs with the non league decision.

This shouldn't even be a debate now, as this is a national emergency of monumental proportions. The season cannot restart any time soon, and no guarantee that the new season can start in August. This season should be voided immediately, which will give many clubs certainty (and will allow clubs to furlough staff to protect their financial status a tiny bit). The only previous precedents are war years, which were also genuinely emergency situations.

Agree its unfair on the successful - but is it fair that many thousands of people are dying and as a global community we have no answer but to shut down life as we know it? This situation is about lives, not livelihoods, and this is an unprecedented global event that is so much bigger that any one club or over privileged group.

I think we all know the answer to that one, and i hope that the greed and excesses of the PL are curbed to help protect the rest of the pyramid. I know it works in our favour (assuming the club can survive the summer), allowing us the biggest of let offs, but i would
feel the same way if we were 15 points ahead.

I do agree but I don’t think any amount of action will save some clubs without handouts from the prem and that just doesn’t seem forthcoming right now.even worse will be FFP hitting a lot of clubs, what are the EFL going to do about That

Again I think normal “rules” go out the window here. Nothing like this has ever happened. Agree that a decision needs making soon but then I guess it’s hard when nobody knows how long this will go on for. They could announce a cut off date (say, 31 May) but who knows if football games will be permitted even then? I think while there’s still at least the possibility of playing out the remainder of the matches they’ll cling to that preferred conclusion. At least with the Euros they could push it back a year, easily done.

Again I think normal “rules” go out the window here. Nothing like this has ever happened. Agree that a decision needs making soon but then I guess it’s hard when nobody knows how long this will go on for. They could announce a cut off date (say, 31 May) but who knows if football games will be permitted even then? I think while there’s still at least the possibility of playing out the remainder of the matches they’ll cling to that preferred conclusion. At least with the Euros they could push it back a year, easily done.
Let’s keep it simple so clubs fans and everyone else knows where they stand. Bite the bullet void the season and prepare for the next one in due course when life returns to normal . When that will be heaven knows but make a decision now and stop all this speculation. Tough on some lucky for others.

Let’s keep it simple so clubs fans and everyone else knows where they stand. Bite the bullet void the season and prepare for the next one in due course when life returns to normal . When that will be heaven knows but make a decision now and stop all this speculation. Tough on some lucky for others.
I tend to agree, but only because it's the simplest solution. That, and the FA have already done so past step 3, non-league. Genie is out of the bottle, so to speak.

The two are separate, no?
If the Leagues were so bothered about the current crisis, they wouldn't be video conferencing each other with a view to resolving the issues.
Consequently, they would avoid making decisions that will have a huge impact on clubs.
It's a terrible situation, but should the authorities wait until the crisis is over? Not rhetoric, but a genuine question.
Can’t see how how the EFL and others talking about the season ending( as they should) has anything to do with some chairman/ clubs talking about legal action

Back