• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Restaurant Scores on the doors

You carry on chowing down the McShite, I'll eat proper food thanks.

Scores on the Doors grades food hygiene, not the content / ingredients of food.

And FWIW, I choose not to eat it too, but not because of hygiene.

Agree with Mk here,
Down to personal taste, living in Benfleet i've eaten in every
curry house, mumtaz is nice and certainly charge on their star rating.
Not the best for me, my choice is Akash.
Also in Southend The Amina is great! Needs decorating but
food is fantastic ( maybe not somewhere to go on a date)

Is there an online website you can check the ratings? Interested in some local ones I go to.

I have spoken to grimace and the hamburglar and they had nothing but praise.

Perhaps you should pay less attention to ultra biased **** such as Supersize Me and Fast Food Nation?

I'll be honest, I watched Supersize Me and just craved Maccy D's!!

You carry on chowing down the McShite, I'll eat proper food thanks.

I only eat McDonalds when I have a hangover. A couple of big Macs plus large coke have magical healing properties.

If you eat it occasionally in conjunction with a healthy diet you will be fine.

Eat at a one star kebab shop on a regular basis and you will fall foul of something nasty sooner or later.....

I only eat McDonalds when I have a hangover. A couple of big Macs plus large coke have magical healing properties.

If you eat it occasionally in conjunction with a healthy diet you will be fine.

Eat at a one star kebab shop on a regular basis and you will fall foul of something nasty sooner or later.....

There's far more reasons why I won't give McD any of my hard earned money - yes influenced by that "ultra biased" stuff like FFN and No Logo. I had the misfortune to have to eat it whilst in America - there's little choice whilst driving on freeways - and it was absolutely vile.

Give a curry house a certificate and there prices go up!

Couldn't agree more. I'm fed up with the amount of menus I get that boast about their 5 rating. These money grabbing establishments should be concentrating more on giving me another bout of gastroenteritis. :dim:

We get out take aways from Pure Spice (behind the Hospital) and I am disappointed it only got a 4 rating. I would hope they can up their standard up to the 5 soon.

Not at all i'm not dead!
Give a curry house a certificate and there prices go up!
Who gives these ratings? Unless evidence of rats etc, i can put up with bad decor!

These ratings are nothing to do with decor, this the the criteria as set out by the food standards agency...

A food safety officer inspects a business to check that it meets the requirements of food hygiene law. The officer is from the local authority where the business is located.

At the inspection, the officer will check:

how hygienically the food is handled – how it is prepared, cooked, re-heated, cooled and stored
the condition of the structure of the buildings – the cleanliness, layout, lighting, ventilation and other facilities
how the business manages what it does to make sure food is safe and so that the officer can be confident standards will be maintained in the future
Each of these three elements is essential for making sure that food hygiene standards meet requirements and the food served or sold to you is safe to eat.

The hygiene standards found at the time of inspection are then rated on a scale. At the bottom of the scale is ‘0’ – this means urgent improvement is required. At the top of the scale is ‘5’ – this means the hygiene standards are very good.

If the top rating is not given, the officer will explain to the person who owns or manages the business what improvements need to be made and what action they can take to improve their hygiene rating.

I think people are getting confused here between the hygene rating and the Trip Advisor certificates that some eateries display

These ratings are nothing to do with decor, this the the criteria as set out by the food standards agency...

I think people are getting confused here between the hygene rating and the Trip Advisor certificates that some eateries display
Sorry Davros,
I stand corrected! To be honest have never taken much notice.
Only been ill once after eating at a certain Indian in Benfleet.
Don't care if it's got 6 stars, I won't be going back!
If these places continue to achieve low ratings can they not be forced to close?

I believe so.

the FAQ's say...

Businesses given ratings of ‘0’ or ‘1’ must make urgent or major improvements to hygiene standards. The local authority food safety officer will use a number of enforcement tools as well as giving advice and guidance to make sure these improvements are made.

The food safety officer will also tell the business how quickly these improvements must be made and this will depend on the type of issue that needs to be addressed.

The Food Hygiene Rating Scheme means that people can choose instead to eat out or buy food at places with higher ratings and businesses with low ratings are in danger of losing customers and so will be encouraged to improve standards more quickly and to maintain these in the future.

If the officer finds that a business’s hygiene standards are very poor and there is an imminent risk to health – this means food is not safe to eat – the officer must take action to make sure that consumers are protected. This could mean prohibiting part of an operation or closing the business down

Back