• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Cheeky Fu**er

ROBBIE BLAKE today conceded that Leeds United's fight against relegation will be at the point of failure if the club leave Southend without a victory on Saturday.

But the striker insisted a priceless win at Roots Hall would leave Dennis
Wise's squad with an important psychological advantage at the start of the Championship' s final straight.

Leeds have been the division's bottom club ever since their victory over
Hull City on January 30, and a fourth away win of the season in Essex would lift the club out of 24th place.

More significantly, it would improve United's recent haul of points to seven from three games, a run of form designed to intimidate teams around them.

Leeds have given the impression of a relegated club for most of the season, but a sequence of two wins and a draw would hint heavily at a late revival.

Blake, however, is also aware that Leeds have much to lose in Essex. In the wake of Barnsley's win over Plymouth last night, defeat to Southend would leave United seven points from safety when their goal difference is taken into account.

A draw may result in a similar deficit, and even a victory will do no more
than keep Leeds afloat.

Blake was justified in describing Saturday's fixture as "one of the biggest
games in the club's history" but the striker knows survival will not be on
offer at Roots Hall.

"We haven't been off the bottom (of the division) for a long time, and that would be a massive lift," said Blake.

"We'll do that if we get a win on Saturday, and that would be seven points from three games. If you take seven points from three games you'll go a long way towards staying up.

"People will look at it and know we're on a run.

"It's one of the biggest games in the club's history. Obviously it's only
Southend
, but it's a massive six-pointer.

"It's not going to be pretty or free-flowing football because there's no
time for that. We've got to believe that we can go there and win. Three
points is a must."

Before Tuesday night's results, the suggestion was that Southend would carry the bulk of the pressure on Saturday. As the home team and a club in as much trouble as Leeds, their scope for error was equally thin.

But the 90th-minute goal produced by Ritchie Foran against Burnley on
Tuesday has changed the dynamic of Saturday's fixture.

Steve Tilson's side will line-up against Leeds with successive victories
behind them, and knowing that a third win would leave Wise's players far in the distance.

But the bottom seven teams are presently separated by six points, a factor which will favour Leeds for as long as the gap remains so tight.
Burnley have been slowly sucked in - the result of 16 games without a win - and none of the sides involved in the relegation fight are striking for safety with any conviction.

Blake said: "We need to keep other teams in and around us.

Last edited:
"Obviously its only Southend"

Charming.....Lets hope he swallows those words come Saturday evening.

****pot, I hope we bloody stuff these *******s.

Another case of "Bigclubitus".

And that attitude ladies and gents is why Leeds are bottom of the table.

Obviously when we were in the 4th division, we never use to say its only Macclesfield/Boston/Chester, we should be beating them.

As mentioned on the Yahoo Message Group (where I picked this article up from, cheers Bob!!!) - Tilly should put this on the dressing room wall on Saturday to motivate the team!

Im not being funny , but its only Robbie Blake.. who gives a f..k what he thinks

I love the fact that he says there's not going to be pretty football. If we want to win this game, we'll have to play good football and control possession. That's probably what we really lacked against Burnley.

Is it me or do Leeds seem to forget they are rock bottom of the table.

Tossers :guns:

It would appear so. As has already been pointed out, there is an epidemic of 'bigclubitis' going around Yorkshire. In fact, I think its a new strand of the virus known as 'Formerbigclubitis'.

Wish I could be there now, well more so than I did anyways! A few chants of Champions League and you ****ed it up could surely be in order on Saturday.

Sorry. I am aware by using the term c***ing I have sullied the good name of Shrimperzone Ltd. I am not proud of what I have done and I sincerely apologise to younger viewers. Swearing in such a gratuitous fashion isn't the way forward and birds wont be impressed if you say c***ing.

Back