• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Save our Southend Save our Southend - New COPA90 video

So youd rather people stayed quiet? Other threads show how the ‘not the norm’ are dealt with.. I’m generally pro posts and the club.. the video, just no point. Yea, I’m ‘heartless’ ‘chump’ etc.. but an opinion, that’s all

So emotional that, we may not be a Man Utd or Barcelona, but we are Southend United and we have a proud history and we are proud to support the team home and away. Southend til we die in

Thank you for making and sharing this - not being able to go to Roots Hall and be among like minded fans makes this difficult time even worse. Your video and the response to it shows just how much so many of us care for SUFC.

Great video, Kerry. Summed up perfectly how myself, my family and friends are feeling at this moment.

Last edited:
So youd rather people stayed quiet? Other threads show how the ‘not the norm’ are dealt with.. I’m generally pro posts and the club.. the video, just no point. Yea, I’m ‘heartless’ ‘chump’ etc.. but an opinion, that’s all
And you may well be right, but I think the point is that there was no need to **** all over it in the way you did. Whether or not you were bored isn't really the point. Several people have put a lot of effort into it and you could have said something like "Great effort, I don't think it'll work though, we need other, more direct forms of protest" or something similar. That would have probably got you a lot more support and made more people less likely to ignore the validity of your point which, to be honest, I possibly agree with. I doubt Ron will see it and if he does I doubt it will make any difference.

But it won't do any harm either and absolutely did not deserve the slating you gave it. That was just rude and unnecessary.

I thought it was heartfelt and full of emotion. It certainly struck a chord with me. Well done Lord Football.

Wow - powerful stuff! I love SUFC, I was born in sight of the floodlights, I've travelled home and away, I love SZ. But they're not my life. However this reminds me that for lots of supporters it is their life. And that's why we see such powerful debate on SZ, why we see people losing their ?, and why many of us never agree. But ultimately for all of us it's about SUFC, and their best interests. Well done Kerry and team - absolutely thought provoking and brilliant!
Well said Camden whole-heartedly agree.
Even harder to watch during these Covid times, yet inspiring at the same time.

What a wonderfully produced video and an important one. I think Kerry has usefully summed up in an emotive 15 minutes, how we, as Shrimpers are all feeling right now.
We need each other, this will be more evident as the next few months roll by. My brother in law is a Tranmere fan, he has said that relegation from the football league was a waking nightmare that strangely brought the fans of the club closer together. Doubtless, it was this unity that helped return his club to the football league.

We are all hurting. It's going to hurt even more in the near future. Let's not rip each other to pieces as our ship sinks.

Deep breath, tear in my eye, well done Sir!

I’m hurting now, I think I have tried to distance myself this year to not try and get too depressed. This is so hard as I genuinely believe if we were inside the Hall we might stay up, without us all, not a hope in hell.

I don’t even want a new ground, I love Roots Hall, look at the hamsters with their ****, soulless London Stadium. Every one of them would rather be back at Upton Park.

Think I need to watch Pigotts and Freddy goal on You Tube and some Stan the Man archive highlights to chear me up!

Last edited:
Are people not allowed to respond negatively to your ‘opinion’ then just because you’ve tried to go against the norm?

It was a heartfelt video made by a fellow Southend fan about the dire situation our club finds itself in. I’m not really sure how there can be an opposing opinion to that as a Southend fan.

If you were that bored by the video why didn’t you just click off it and close the thread rather than try and **** on something that’s clearly had a lot of thought and effort put into it?

I'm really very touched by the overwhelming positive feedback. Thank you. I really wasn't sure how this would go down, I tried to speak for most of us. This is, after all, about us.

I've asked Ron if he wants to read the feedback across social media....

The clever stuff was a professional job from Nick, Sam and Rory three young film makers who'll hopefully go onto bigger and better things. I just gave them the words.

It's not a problem. I am not offended. I did laugh when we were doing it that it looked a bit like Barnsley.

Are people not allowed to respond negatively to your ‘opinion’ then just because you’ve tried to go against the norm?

It was a heartfelt video made by a fellow Southend fan about the dire situation our club finds itself in. I’m not really sure how there can be an opposing opinion to that as a Southend fan.

If you were that bored by the video why didn’t you just click off it and close the thread rather than try and **** on something that’s clearly had a lot of thought and effort put into it?
Yes it was. An emotional video.. but we probably don’t need emotional videos.. we need something more direct. I’m still to be convinced of sos action plans.
the video, not like I’ve just shot a puppy... just said I was bored with it and didn’t like it.. exile me now ffs

Well, that has really struck a chord with so many of us and brought emotions well and truly to the surface. So well produced in encapsulating exactly what it means to be a Shrimper and I can relate to so many of the points made.

Taken to my first match at Grainger Road as a four-year-old by my Dad, who had been taken to the Kursaal ground as a boy by his uncle, SUFC is in the blood. At school my mates all supported Spurs, West Ham or Man U but apart from watching them on Match of the Day I had no affinity with any of those clubs. I can remember my excitement on a Friday if we were at home that evening or looking forward to the match if it was a Saturday fixture. The heartaches when we would lose and the joy when we won. The Hall absolutely pulsating when we had a big match with a near capacity crowd and the freezing cold winter nights when we were in the doldrums and you could almost count the number in the ground.

My father was SUFC through and through and was going to attend a match at the Hall in the afternoon of the day he died in September 1994. He taught me what it is to be a Shrimper and although I moved away from the area nearly forty years ago it’s still a deep rooted part of me. Even after I moved and could rarely attend matches my Dad would phone me after every game and give me a blow-by-blow account, something I still miss to this very day. I never expected to see us fall out of the EFL in my lifetime, even though we have faced some tough times in the past, but now it appears close to becoming a reality and we are all hurting in the isolation of lockdown. I am sure we are all hoping for a miracle in the last nine matches but in truth we all know exactly what our fate will be.

Thank you Kerry and everyone involved in making the video for showing the world what being a Shrimper really means.

Back