• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

sufcintheprem

This is a modified caption
Can't believe the yobbish culture today and sadly it seems to be spreading to universities.

Was out in a local club in Lufbra and it's one of the post exam nights so the morale should be pretty good. In spite of that, some guy slammed in to my mate who, in regaining balance, bumped in to him. For some reason this guy acted as though my mate had done his dad up the wrong 'un and started pushing around trying to cause trouble. How it finished is not relevant but I can't believe this sort of stuff has spread to univeristies where camaraderie between students has always been good and 99% of trouble was caused by locals.

The only kind of justification for that behaviour was the high (and frustrating) male to female ratio and the high level of sportsmanship here. Still, this is no excuse and this is just unacceptable. I'm pretty sure no-one in the club was impressed as we walked away leaving it and they pushed towards us.

How long are we going to take this sort of sh*t from nobheads who fancy giving it large on a night out? If most people about in that club gave their honest opinion, those to**ers would be banged up for the night and thinking whether they should restrain themselves in future.

Sadly, this kind of thing seems to happen a lot in Southend too where there seems to be a 'townie'/aggressive attitude. From the stories I've heard, this lead to the incident outsde Talk that seems to be world famous.

You may be the bigger man for walking away but frankly, it doesn't feel bigger and I'd rather have tw*tted the c**t, even if he was bigger than me. It's really frustrating.

Still, as the topic says, maybe I should have gone to bed. Then again, maybe the public who don't condone this should stick up and tell this sort of people it's not right to act like this. Would be interesting to see a petition about this sort of stuff go up.

You'd be surprised how much better I feel after having this rant.

mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

...now time for bed...

It could be worse mate.

You could have gone to Manchester, Liverpool, Leeds etc. and endured constant break in attempts and the ever present threat of a mugging/beating every time you ventured out after dark.

I spent a postgrad year at Loughborough and was fairly suprised that most of the 'trouble' I witnessed was caused by beer fueled middle class rugby boys who were obviously away from mummy and daddy for the first time.

Loughborough may have more than it's fair share of irritating p****s but at least you are probably a lot safer there than a lot of other places.

I'm in danger of sounding like a sad old man here, but I've always believed this either as an 18 year old or approaching 31 as I am now, but why do people see starting a ruck as an integral part of a night out.

We've all been in a busy pub or club and accidentally knocked into someone only to have some ****ed up knob head want to start a row because of it. I just don't understand it, if you knock someone's drink over just buy them another one and laugh about it - after all you are out to have a good time and should be chilled out and relaxed.

Instead some people get themselves pumped up as if they are about to enter the ring to fight for a world title and just waiting for the slightest excuse to kick off. I know alcohol plays it's part of course, and as getting ****ed just makes me want to be everybody's mate I'm lucky that it doesn't have an adverse affect on me but still - if you knew that getting drunk turned you into an obnoxious knob and you was normally a nice person wouldn't you be careful how much you drunk?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Ron Manager @ Jan. 25 2005,09:13)]...but why do people see starting a ruck as an integral part of a night out?
Because they're lousy in bed and need to derive satisfaction in other ways? It's the only obvious explanation, surely...

suspect.gif

Hey ho...

Matt

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ Jan. 25 2005,10:32)]Because they're lousy in bed and need to derive satisfaction in other ways?  It's the only obvious explanation, surely...
Well, you're not exactly a trouble maker, so what means do you use to derive satisfaction?

biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (overseas shrimper @ Jan. 25 2005,09:37)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ Jan. 25 2005,10:32)]Because they're lousy in bed and need to derive satisfaction in other ways?  It's the only obvious explanation, surely...
Well, you're not exactly a trouble maker, so what means do you use to derive satisfaction?

biggrin.gif
Narcotics, mainly...

tounge.gif

You're such a bitch, OS, you were so complimentary after our last tryst...

oops.gif
laugh.gif

Some people just simply dont go out for a good night, or should I say them getting into a ruck IS a good night for them.
They get a buzz out of it and most of the time it is simply bullying!

I rarely go to night clubs, but when I do I'm always keeping an eye out for what's going on. Far too many to**ers around!

Shame realy, but that's the way it is.

I got first hand experience a couple of weeks ago, 4 of us walking up the high street at 1am (2 male, 2 female) and 8 18/19yo's start on Mrs B, I dive in to stop it and next thing I know I'm on the floor getting my head kicked to pieces. Then they just walked off, probably looking for their next victim.

Most of the UK cities and coastal towns seem to have this problem now. Is it boredom? A bit of a buzz? Whatever it is, it's not on. I have been very very lucky so far. It seems that almost all of my close mates seem to have had experience first-hand of some drunken idiots trying to prove their hardness.

The thing is you just have to accept that if you're going to have a night out in town then there is a risk that something like this could happen.

I do believe that the pubs and clubs ahould be responsible for paying for the extra policing that is needed to provide a visble deterrent. Football clubs have to pay for the police bill, why shouldn't the large club chains and breweries?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Ron Manager @ Jan. 25 2005,12:10)]The thing is you just have to accept that if you're going to have a night out in town then there is a risk that something like this could happen.

I do believe that the pubs and clubs ahould be responsible for paying for the extra policing that is needed to provide a visble deterrent. Football clubs have to pay for the police bill, why shouldn't the large club chains and breweries?
Not just that. Some bloke got mugged at 10 in the morning last wednesday in Basildon.

Good point, but a lot of lobbying from the breweries to make sure this doesnt happen...

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Napster @ Jan. 25 2005,12:16)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Ron Manager @ Jan. 25 2005,12:10)]The thing is you just have to accept that if you're going to have a night out in town then there is a risk that something like this could happen.

Not just that. Some bloke got mugged at 10 in the morning last wednesday in Basildon.

Good point, but a lot of lobbying from the breweries to make sure this doesnt happen...
Yeah, I felt bad about that!

Just did'nt have enough money on me and I really fancied a greasy spoon breaky.

down.gif

Sorry.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Napster @ Jan. 25 2005,12:16)]Good point, but a lot of lobbying from the breweries to make sure this doesnt happen...
Oh, I'm well aware of that.

I wonder how many people who are up in arms about the prospect of 24 hour drinking and the 'yob culture' have shares (either directly or through invetment trusts, pension funds etc.) in these breweries? The same breweries who will make huge profits out of this situation and will use some of this profit to 'influence' the major political parties to ensure they won't have to foot any of the bill to police the consequences.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Napster @ Jan. 25 2005,12:16)]
[b said:

Couple of boys got set apon about a year ago in Romford at about 5 in the afternoon. No one would help, they would just either stand around looking at what's happening or just walk away.

I always make sure I go out with lads either, both down here and back home. I never walk around Southend now without a male friend with me.

Even down here, us girls arent really meant to walk around by ourselves after dark, in groups of 3 or more or with guys with us, cos it's so dodgy. There's quite a bit of trouble on Cheltenham High Street even at 7pm.....

That's the same evrywhere, WCS and we are all poorer for it. I frequently get asked to buy under-agers drink or cigarettes and then get abuse because I refuse! To be honest most town centres are only for the brave/foolhardy (take your pick). Vandalism is rife, the police presence inversely proportionately so. Oh I know I'm an old fart but I still value my brains! The guy that got roughed up at 5 and no-one helped? It's because the guys that did it MAY have been skied up on crack/carrying knives/desperate for drugs money, and nobody wants a carving knife through their ribs.
It's fact I'm afraid and quite frankly I'd take early retirement tomorrow and go live abroad if I could.

Pass the prozac!

people have been getting ****ed up and scrapping in this country for centuries..
either dont go to the kind of place these to**ers hang out in.. or spend 6 months learning how to box.. stay sober and batter the back n front when he is least expecting it (oh and dont forgetthe usual bit... then leg it!)

What does everyone think about the 24 hour drinking?

I can see the arguing the toss go on for ages but surely the best bet is a month trial period to see how it goes and then take a decision from there. You can go on for ages talking about it but you'll never know unless you try.

The biggest problem is that neither the louts, scumbags nor the law abiding citizens of this great country of ours have any faith in the police.

It may be a bit clichéd but the fact remains that if the police directed their efforts away from easy targets (car drivers) towards loutish behaviour you'd have the short-term protests and namby-pamby human right protestors but in the long-term people would learn to live with it.

The government could make a start by reducing the exhorbitant amount of unnecessary and duplicative paperwork the Police are forced to plough through. The Police could carry this on by recruiting human beings in future.

Sadly we'll just continue the slide towards oblivion. Zero tolerance ? I'd be up for it.

I'm quite relieved that my 'clubbing days' are down to an absolute minimum due to the fact that I'm not as good at handling hangovers as I was 10-15 years ago.

Maybe I'm being naive but I swear going out to clubs was a whole lot safer in the late 80's and early 90's. This problem is now a national one and now knife culture is rife. Guildford is horrendous and the taxi queues are perilous after midnight.

Back